How do we hear real sounds in a dream?

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
Guitar48300

How do we hear real sounds in a dream?

Postby Guitar48300 » 28 Aug 2013 18:38

We've all those dreams where our alarm goes off and we can hear the sound while still in a dream right? Has anyone ever become lucid because of this? I wanna know how this happens and maybe I can use real sounds to help me get more lucid dreams.
Roxas: Did you have fun chatting with the ghosts?
Sora: You shouldn't call them "ghosts". Sure something seemed a little off but I'm sure they're still my friends

-KH Re:coded
xat.com/luciddreamers if anyone wants to use it

deschainXIX

Re: How do we hear real sounds in a dream?

Postby deschainXIX » 28 Aug 2013 19:11

It only happens sometimes.
While you're sleeping, your entire body is paralyzed except for your eyes (that's why its called Rapid Eye Movement) and your breathing. This is to stop you from acting out your dreams. But sometimes the paralysis isn't completely flawless. That's why things like this can sometimes happen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeKGgzDJZvs
So this is just when your ears aren't properly paralyzed and your real body's ears can hear things in the real world.
Well said.

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 29 Aug 2013 11:43

One of the sounds i hear in a dream and that is being done in waking life is the sound of my own snoring. I don't snore too often, only when i'm very tired. Sometimes i'm dreaming and i hear that sound and i say:
-"Hey, i'm dreaming and i'm hearing my own snoring. But i don't want to wake up to change position." But most of the time i wake up, because that sound is distracting.

Son Of Somnus

Postby Son Of Somnus » 30 Aug 2013 02:55

I remember a post on this forum that a guy got a watch that made a beeping noise every hour. And every hour he heard a beep he did a reality check to see if he was dreaming. Then he started to put the watch next to his bed and went asleep, and whenever he heard the subtle beep of his watch from within the dream he followed his habit of a reality check and that was his way of becoming lucid.
Am I dreaming? Is this a dream?
The next time I am dreaming, I will realise that I am dreaming.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 30 Aug 2013 03:16

Yeah I've heard that before... I might give it a try... it's just that I really don't want to start wearing a watch
Well said.

Guitar48300

Postby Guitar48300 » 30 Aug 2013 03:54

deschainXIX wrote:Yeah I've heard that before... I might give it a try... it's just that I really don't want to start wearing a watch

Here's what I've been trying to do: Ive got a playlist on my mp3 player that has recording of 90 minutes of silence. This gives me time to fall asleep, also I do this on my first awakening in the night. Then afterwards my mp3 player plays a harp sound effect that repeats for 1 minute so if I don't hear it the first time I still have a chance to hear it. My only trouble with this is I've wooken up to find the harp music was playing and the track is paused in the middle and I have no memory of pausing the track, nor did I hear the music in the dream.
Roxas: Did you have fun chatting with the ghosts?
Sora: You shouldn't call them "ghosts". Sure something seemed a little off but I'm sure they're still my friends

-KH Re:coded
xat.com/luciddreamers if anyone wants to use it

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 30 Aug 2013 14:09

hmm interesting. you might have rolled over onto the pause button
Well said.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 31 Aug 2013 07:04

Highlander wrote:One of the sounds i hear in a dream and that is being done in waking life is the sound of my own snoring. I don't snore too often, only when i'm very tired. Sometimes i'm dreaming and i hear that sound and i say:
-"Hey, i'm dreaming and i'm hearing my own snoring. But i don't want to wake up to change position." But most of the time i wake up, because that sound is distracting.

My snoring wakes me up too at times, that happened to me again only last week. Fortunately I rarely snore.

It would be highly dangerous if our ability to hear during sleep was switched off so would be unnatural for life. eg imagine a fire breaking out in your home and a neighbour yelling "fire, fire" you'd really want to be waking up at that or with someone breaking into your house and you not being able to hear them kicking your door down!! We need some hearing while asleep.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Son Of Somnus

Postby Son Of Somnus » 31 Aug 2013 13:45

taniaaust1 wrote:Fortunately I rarely snore.

Hah, that's what they all say.
Am I dreaming? Is this a dream?
The next time I am dreaming, I will realise that I am dreaming.

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”