Sound cues

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
Purestorm

Sound cues

Postby Purestorm » 26 Sep 2013 17:56

Hi guys,

yeah, this one is quite known and I am quite surprised the search function didn't magically spit out all answers to my questions :)
I'm in the process of conditioning myself to do 3 reality checks (checking hands, doing maths and reading twice if possible, if not I ask myself who I am and how I got here and what I'm planning on doing) each and every time I hear a specific sound. You can call that pretty hardcore conditioning cause I hear the sound 100 times during my waking and it also plays 60 times during sleep. Every once in a while I remember I should do a rc even without the sound, so you can say I do a good 200 rc per day. I'm only doing that since 3 days and hope to get a lucid dream soon.
Anyways, that's only the introduction to this topic.
My question is about the ability to hear the sounds during dreaming. I saw another thread about a similar topic, but not exactly what I was looking for. Here are my specific questions:

The sound cues are played by my cell phone, at day as well as at night. I am already doing rc without hesitation whenever I hear it. But does that work for everyone at night? - I mean: is it only SOME people who can hear the sounds while sleeping, or is it generally known to work for everyone?
And also: the volume is not high at night. I can clearly hear it in wake, but it's low volume so it never wakes me up. It, however, is loud enough to keep me awake if I'm not sleeping. So, would that be sufficient? The cell phone is on my chair right next to my bed at night.

My question numero two would be if it would be better to use headphones at night. Would that increase the efficiency? I can't sleep so well with them on, though, as I love to sleep on a side and it just isn't possible with them. But I would rather use them than not hear the sounds the cell phone's speakers play!

Please help me out here :)

Peace

Guitar48300

Re: Sound cues

Postby Guitar48300 » 26 Sep 2013 18:16

I've been experimenting with this exact idea for a while only I use a 3DS. My one problem with this is I seem to fall asleep with the track playing, but I wake up to find that the track has been paused in the middle. I even once woke up and the 3DS was put on my dresser on the other side of the room. I had no memory of pausing or putting it away.
Roxas: Did you have fun chatting with the ghosts?
Sora: You shouldn't call them "ghosts". Sure something seemed a little off but I'm sure they're still my friends

-KH Re:coded
xat.com/luciddreamers if anyone wants to use it

Purestorm

Postby Purestorm » 26 Sep 2013 18:29

Hi there,

I read about it in the other thread. Why are you using a 3DS for it?
I suggest, if you want to have permanent audio, a normal MP3 player. Put it next to your bed somewhere AND lock the keys so you don't pause while being half asleep. Since once your 3DS mysteriously changed locations :p I am afraid that won't work well though.
I personally can't do that because I can't fall asleep if there's permanent sound or music playing; while it doesn't wake me up, even low volume sounds keep me awake unless I'm extremely tired. I have a light sleep and wake up 2-3 times a night.

But yeah what we're doing is different which is why I created a new thread.
My sound cue plays every ~15 minutes so I make sure I don't miss a major part of my REM. Your way is good too, but I think you put that device away because it annoys you and keeps you from falling asleep again after waking up once. And then you're still half-asleep and just put it away. I would probably do the same, so I make sure the sounds only play when I actually sleep.

Peace

Guitar48300

Postby Guitar48300 » 27 Sep 2013 00:22

I use my 3DS because it's the only mp3 device that only I use. But I think you make a good point so I'll try my ipod.

Purestorm wrote:
But yeah what we're doing is different which is why I created a new thread.
My sound cue plays every ~15 minutes so I make sure I don't miss a major part of my REM. Your way is good too, but I think you put that device away because it annoys you and keeps you from falling asleep again after waking up once. And then you're still half-asleep and just put it away. I would probably do the same, so I make sure the sounds only play when I actually sleep.

Peace

Your way sounds a little easier than mine so I think I'll try it
Roxas: Did you have fun chatting with the ghosts?
Sora: You shouldn't call them "ghosts". Sure something seemed a little off but I'm sure they're still my friends

-KH Re:coded
xat.com/luciddreamers if anyone wants to use it

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”