Music as a Reality Tether

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
deschainXIX

Music as a Reality Tether

Postby deschainXIX » 29 Sep 2013 15:02

Sometimes, I like to fall asleep while listening to music on Pandora or stand-up comedy. Which makes things interesting, because sometimes while I'm awake I'll hear a song that I've never heard before, but somehow I know the song in some deep sense ... Almost like I had heard it in a dream. Then I realized that I must have, because I've been listening to radios while asleep.
So I'm wondering if you could use this a lucid dreaming technique or enhancer.
Certain songs just bring up beautiful emotions or images in my mind and I'm sure everyone gets this. And I find myself thinking what an amazing lucid dream I would have if I was listening to a certain song while in it.
Has anyone ever tried or succeeded in using music to induce lucid dreaming? That is, you select a certain song as your "reality tether" and whenever you hear that song, think about that song, or have it stuck in your head, you question reality, or convince yourself that you are dreaming. (I've heard of a rather extreme lucid dreaming technique where you fully convince yourself that the world you're seeing is a dream and thus this carries over into an actual dream). Then, put headphones in/on and program the song to fade in lightly about 2 hours after going to bed. Of course, if you're not used to going to sleep with headphones in and sound playing, you'd have to get used to that first.
I think it'd be pretty interesting, has anyone every thought about doing this?
Well said.

HAGART

Re: Music as a Reality Tether

Postby HAGART » 30 Sep 2013 01:33

I've never done this, but it makes sense.
It reminds me of those 'Learn A Language While Sleeping Tapes' that were popular once. :lol:
We certainly hear things in our sleep and they influence our dreams. (That's essentially what hypnosis is).
So if you take control and associate the music, or sounds, or the stand-up comedy with the fact that you are dreaming it should have the same effect as a recorded voice constantly repeating, 'you are dreaming'.

Again, I have never done this. My biggest concern is what if the music is annoying or you get bored with whatever audio you choose. Stuck in a lucid dream, listening to the worst comedian ever.... sounds like a nightmare! ("Get me out of this dream! It's Carrot Top again!") :twisted: :lol:
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Magenta

Postby Magenta » 30 Sep 2013 11:17

I like this idea, but have never tested it out deliberately as a "suggestion" or "intent" kind of thing. If not for that, I'd say it would be unlikely to work, given how many countless nights in my life i've fallen asleep to music or comedy programs on internet radio, never once becoming lucid due to them.

Definitely worth exploring, though.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 30 Sep 2013 22:30

Right, the main reason with this is to enhance beautiful lucid dreams. Idk about you guys, but I have seen some beautiful dreamscapes before. And, like I was talking about before, music drives powerful images and emotions into my head. So what I'm basically trying to do is hear a song while in a LD.
I had another idea. Our mind is (theoretically, and definitely debatably) infinitely capable of capturing all information we have ever sensed, yes? There's a lot of controversy over that, but as for myself I'm a strong believer in hypnosis and all those sorts of things. But anyway, this is supported by the vivid detail that we experience in our lucid dreams. My first LD, I was blown away by my minds capability to project such a detailed and intense environment.
Perhaps this could be applied to sound as well?
If it is a song we are well familiar with, could we become lucid and search out a music player and then play that song? It'd be interesting to see how accurate or if at all our mind plays the song.
Well said.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 30 Sep 2013 22:52

I have heard music in lucid dreams before. It's usually new to me, or a variation of a song I know. About a week ago I was in a, I would say the hypnopompic state after dreaming, and I was listening to Nirvana's unplugged version of "The Man Who Sold The World", and it was perfect in every way like listening to it. When I play songs in my head when awake, I tend to skip over parts or even become the lead singer myself with my own voice in my head, but this time it was like listening to a radio. My mind must have a perfect recording of it that I heard without any extra waking thoughts getting in the way.

If you want music to influence your dreams and make them beautiful I would suggest some Classical Music by those instrumental masters like Mozart or Beethoven. They really do conjure up emotions don't they? And usually pleasant ones if you find the right song.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 30 Sep 2013 23:32

Huh, that's cool. Or maybe it's like how it is with eating food. It doesn't quite taste like reality ... it tastes a hundred percent better because it's been subconsciously tailored to your tastes. (This doesn't happen with me, probably because I just hate food in real life).
And yeah, but I actually had specific songs in mind.
Well said.

Magenta

Postby Magenta » 05 Oct 2013 10:06

I believe the stuff I hear about things being better than they are in real life in lucid dreams, but have yet to run into that, probably mostly because my awareness has seemingly gotten worse even as I research techniques more and more.

As for music...well, I'd argue that just about any music can stir up emotions of some kind, and if it's a favorite of yours, those will ultimately be positive, so long as you're in the mood to hear it. I imagine getting an "appropriate soundtrack" for a more action-driven, nature-based, sexual, self-exploring, and/or comedic dream would all call for varied artists/genres. Maybe in a few decades when my awareness improves greatly I can test this out! :lol:

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 05 Oct 2013 14:33

Yeah, some songs just make me think about lucid dreaming.
Well said.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 06 Oct 2013 14:41

So I heard music for the first time in a dream. And, just as I hoped, it was EXACTLY perfect. The lyrics were exactly the same (I looked them up upon awakening) and the bass rhythms and guitars and drumbeats were perfect. The only thing wrong was that the tempo was a tad too fast. The song I heard was Sweater Weather by The Neighborhood, not very detailed and extremely catchy. Another important detail is that I was not lucid! So, this brings up two further questions for me: What about songs that are extremely detailed with many instruments and sounds going on at one time? Is my mind still able to project it perfectly? and What about songs that aren't so poppy and don't get stuck in your head as easily?
Something else that's kind of funny. The context in the dream was that I was in a Biology classroom and the professor was playing a radio while the students worked on a sort of warm up. There were other songs that played before Sweater Weather came on (songs I have never heard before and my subconscious must have made them up) that weren't memorable. The dream characters surrounding me all shared my taste in music. It was either that or it was the fact that Sweater Weather is a pop song. Because everyone was bored with all the songs before it, but when Sweater Weather came on, they were getting into it.
Could be my hatred of listening to mainstream songs, or could be that they all shared my interest in this song in particular.
EDIT: Three questions, actually. The third being would the song be just as perfect had I been lucid?
Well said.

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”