Is it absolutley necessary to have a dream journal?

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
PurpleDreams

Is it absolutley necessary to have a dream journal?

Postby PurpleDreams » 20 Jun 2011 22:56

I've always wondered if it's necessary to have a dream journal. Ofcourse it can / will help with getting lucid dreams but whenever I start a dream journal I always get lazy. I am motivated but I just can't keep a dream journal.

Jonathan

Re: Is it absolutley necessary to have a dream journal?

Postby Jonathan » 21 Jun 2011 05:01

It's not absolutely necessary, but it is very helpful for dream recall and fun to look back on one. Most lucid dreamers will benefit from increased recall and more frequent lucid dreams by keeping one.

I can liken it to flossing. It's not absolutely necessary to floss, but if we do, our chances of having healthy teeth go up considerably!

RedEightBall

Postby RedEightBall » 23 Jun 2011 02:35

I need to start flossing! :lol:
Tony

Jonathan

Postby Jonathan » 23 Jun 2011 22:33

I had a dental checkup this morning. My dentist says I need to floss more too. :lol:

RedEightBall

Postby RedEightBall » 24 Jun 2011 03:07

I went this morning to the dentist too! WEIRD!

About the dream journal though, I completely understand about being motivated but lacking in discipline to actually keep up with updating your journal daily. Of course it helps when you write out as much detail about your dream as possible, but I personally don't think it's necessary. If you can write one or two sentences about your dream well that's great! Or even just keywords! Most of my dreams don't make sense ANYWAY, so it's hard for me to write down a very descriptive essay about them. lol so I stick to the main keywords like colours, emotions, dream characters... Hope this helps! :geek:

Good luck! :)
Tony

beberger

Postby beberger » 26 Jun 2011 05:18

If people desire to keep a dream journal, but don't follow through, perhaps they can make it easier to do so by identifying their environmental or self-expectation blocks. Perhaps a simple notepad by the bedside, nothing formal, will help them them follow through. I myself become resistant to writing in bound books -- so permanent, it seems like work to make sure I'm doing it right. I free up using the computer or scraps of note paper. I also free up by giving myself permission to record just my more interesting dreams, not requiring myself to note each one.
Here is my online dream journal, part of my blog, fyi. www.beberger.wordpress.com

Liliana Tegzes

Postby Liliana Tegzes » 04 Jul 2011 13:37

PurpleDreams wrote:I've always wondered if it's necessary to have a dream journal. Ofcourse it can / will help with getting lucid dreams but whenever I start a dream journal I always get lazy. I am motivated but I just can't keep a dream journal.

Hello PurpleDreams,

Every time I keep a dream journal I have a much better recall of all my dreams and I also have more LDs.
I haven't had a LD in the last 5-6 months. I started again with my journal few weeks ago and since then I already had 3 lucid dreams. Not talking about the quality of dreams recall which improved so much...
My conclusion: keeping a journal helps a lot.

best,
Liliana

rdubya

Postby rdubya » 04 Jul 2011 16:49

Going to have to agree with Liliana here. I haven't had one in almost 10 days as I was doing a dream journal test, as in not writing my dreams down. I am going to start recording them again and I'll let you know when I have a LD.

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”