Meditation

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
abukalamrami

Meditation

Postby abukalamrami » 02 Aug 2012 11:45

I'm trying my best to meditate in order to help me get lucid when dreaming, but I find it one of the hardest techniques. It is very difficult for me to focus, because although I have (what I would call) a quiet place, the tiniest sound in the distance, a car passing by, a neigbour closing his door, bird tweeting, makes my mind drift just a little bit. I end up getting very frustrated trying to focus and give up after about 5-6 minutes... Even when I am able to focus enough, I end up thinking about the effects of meditation, and whether or not I can classify what I'm doing as successful meditation.

TL;DR

Can't focus enough for meditation, any tips?

Thanks,
Rami

N.B. I am a very easily distracted person (if not already apparent :P)

Peter

Re: Meditation

Postby Peter » 02 Aug 2012 21:35

I'm trying my best to meditate in order to help me get lucid when dreaming, but I find it one of the hardest techniques. It is very difficult for me to focus

Put some ear plugs in
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 03 Aug 2012 03:23

Tips?

Lots of practice.

Also, meditation is a "life long" practice. You don't practice for a bit in the hopes of having more lucid dreams.

Learn to focus upon 'something'... then learn to hold that focus for extended periods of time.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

abukalamrami

Postby abukalamrami » 14 Aug 2012 06:19

Usually I'm focusing on my breathing, and I bring myself back to it when I drift away. I must say by doing this, especially early morning or late at night I am able to somewhat maintain focus for 10-15 minutes

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Kal

Postby Kal » 22 Aug 2012 23:01

I once heard a good analogy for focusing during meditation:

Think of a rock. There is a gentle stream, flowing over and around the rock, passing steadily through. But the rock remains in place.

The rock is what you focus on. The stream is like your thoughts; they might pass through, occasionally drawing you along with them for a moment, and that's okay, but you always keep coming back to that rock.

johnpattrick699

Postby johnpattrick699 » 22 Jan 2013 08:11

I think this is really a hardest thing to achieve but possible through years of experience in meditation. Lucid dreaming is not a thing which we can get by just taking in our hands. If you want o experience, your mind should be calm and concentrated and no other tings in the mind and you need the help of professionals and masters. You can get more tips on this website http://www.meditationtoday.com.au .

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 24 Jan 2013 07:15

Kal wrote:I once heard a good analogy for focusing during meditation:

Think of a rock. There is a gentle stream, flowing over and around the rock, passing steadily through. But the rock remains in place.

The rock is what you focus on. The stream is like your thoughts; they might pass through, occasionally drawing you along with them for a moment, and that's okay, but you always keep coming back to that rock.

I agree. Let yourself be distracted, but be aware that you are being distracted. Don't try so hard to focus because that kind of defeats the purpose when you are consciously doing so. The idea of meditation is to quiet your consciousness. In some instances it is helpful to focus on one thing, but in this case and for lifelong meditation I say that focusing on awareness is key. The rock in this metaphor could be your awareness. Just be aware of everything you hear and see and feel and think, but don't consciously interact. Just observe.

If that didn't make any sense to you, then do this.

Create a series of MEANINGLESS noises. Mantra. Repeat. I use this at night to help induce sleep or dream related effects.

(ex. Ah doe deem bon kai) That's mine. You can use it, but I'd make one up that flows well for you in your mind. Just make sure it doesn't have meaning because then your conscious mind gets to interpret its meaning or ponder different meanings or whatever. It has to be nonsense.
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

SydTheCat

Postby SydTheCat » 27 Jan 2013 22:16

I find it hard to quiet my mind too. I put on my noise canceling headphones, along with a comfortable sleep mask and listen to meditation music. It blocks out any outside distractions. but I usually fall asleep.

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”