reality checks

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
Peter

reality checks

Postby Peter » 24 Jun 2011 21:31

How about a list of RC's that works for us.
I have trouble with this as I don’t tend to notice the "clues" that appear.
I spend hours looking at screens with changing numbers so this is normal and not a RC
I make documents and then proof read so wrong words and changing words is normal
I look at numbers that change by the instant so they are not a good RC
I look for tiny details in my day so focus on detail won’t work
I am lucky that I have lots of time to day dream and think so abstract ideas and images are also normal in my world
So when numbers change or txt changes or I zero in to look at detail it won’t often work as a RC in a dream.
I will either spontaneously enter a LD or need a stressor to do so. In a tunnel that gets smaller and smaller or a car crash that ends in water and I need to breathe. Looking at hands and as suggested on this site trying to push one hand into another but I don’t seem to remember to do this.
What works for you?
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

rdubya

Re: reality checks

Postby rdubya » 25 Jun 2011 17:27

I've noticed I can pull myself into a LD with the simple question of "Where am I?" I have yet to find myself in my room or at work, which are the two places I would be if I were awake. As long as that question sparks, I can pull myself into a LD.

I've found myself asking that during a dream, but the dream wasn't "real" enough for me to start a LD. Timing seems to be key of where your brainwaves are at. I think you need to be deep enough in and have a RC to start a LD.

dagomez99

Postby dagomez99 » 28 Jun 2011 16:34

My favorites are:
- Clamping my nose to see if I still can breathe
- Pinching the innside of my forearm, when awake it hurts a lot, but it doesn't in dreams.
- Trying to remember how i got to where I am.

These 3 have always worked for me, but rebbeca's advice (and I encourage it) is to perform 2 or more RCs so that if one doesn't work, the others do.

Peter

Postby Peter » 28 Jun 2011 20:12

Some of these sound good and they work, next question is how to you remember or what decides that you will make a RC?
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

rdubya

Postby rdubya » 28 Jun 2011 20:47

Whenever I think about it which is def not enough times per day. I saw someone say they set their alarm on their watch to go off every 30 minutes to get a RC going. I may try that with vibrate on my phone since I seem to keep missing my RC in my dreams right now, and then I wake up not angry, but laughing at myself for missing it!

Peter

Postby Peter » 28 Jun 2011 20:56

same. I sometimes think the the "me" that sets the signs must think I am thick, I mean how can jumping off a building and floating to the ground or the price of an item in a shop changing be missed. I too wake up and laugh at the signs that I miss.

That is the most frustrating part and making RC's a habit is my issue but also I enjoy the many vivid dreams for the pure entertainment so not all bad.

Peter

rdubya

Postby rdubya » 28 Jun 2011 21:20

100% with you Peter.

I am going to make a new post on that topic of "Funniest missed RC?"

lawilahd

Postby lawilahd » 30 Jul 2011 03:46

the pinching one may not work for all people, especially me, cuz in my dreams I am able to feel pain as I have felt it before, I've been doing the pinching nose and breathing technique as well as the pushing one finger through other palm, but I have never remembered to do this in a dream yet

fineganswaker

Postby fineganswaker » 01 Aug 2011 20:50

Great topic, Peter! I'm really interested in seeing what RCs work for other folks too.

I completely suck at hooking any daily reality checks into my dreams. So far all of my lucid dreams have come on spontaneously--except for one, which I wrote about in my "Some Thoughts on Personalizing Reality Checks/Dreamsigns" post.

Do you folks feel that there's a difference, in a dream that is, between doing an RC and recognizing a dreamsign to bring on lucidity? Or does the one depend on the other?

My last LD (just this past weekend), came on in what I think is a really interesting way. A dream figure (my wife no less) suddenly said to me excitedly "Hey, I'm lucid--so you probably are too, aren't you?", and--bingo!--bigtime lucidity! Has anybody else experienced a dream figure as a "lucidity helper"?

Peter

Postby Peter » 01 Aug 2011 21:25

Nope but it would be a good one.

Think I have said it before but I have so many vivid dreams that are so close to being lucid that it is hard to tell. This morning I have clicked on a simple observation and that is the light in a LD at least at the start is not broad daylight and seems slightly dimmed and with less clarity. This is constant and so I might do a heap of RC during the day and say " is this light normal?" I really struggle with making the link in dreams and my most interesting LD are WILD or WBTB (I am not sure of the differance in these two)

I was in the water the other night, my boat rolled and I was drowning and I left this scene and landed on the beach, I asked some men for help as my "body" was out in the water and could they please go get it. I said I was still alive as I would not be there taking to them if I was dead as I felt that if I was dead I could not go OBE and ask for help. So I was drowning, I flew out of my body to land, I asked for help, I knew my body was out there and alive but still didnt make the statement "I am dreaming"

What does it take...
Peter

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”