Beginner/advice + Got Stephen LaBerge Book

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
SaraM2261

Beginner/advice + Got Stephen LaBerge Book

Postby SaraM2261 » 25 Jun 2011 22:12

Hey everyone,
I had lucid dreams after reading a book about them as an 11/12 year old. I've always had vivid dreams, and great dream recall, so it was easy back then. I find that as the years went by I think my pervading thought that dreams don't matter has made them less important so now I am having difficulty getting lucid dreams again. So, I bought Stephen LaBerge's book, Lucid Dreaming.

Has anyone had good luck with this book?

I can feel it coming, the only issue being the lack of morning sleep and some times being too tired because I now have a family and a house and much more of a life than a 12 year old!! :lol:

If anyone else can recommend books etc.... please feel free.
Thank you in advance
-Sara

dagomez99

Re: Beginner/advice + Got Stephen LaBerge Book

Postby dagomez99 » 28 Jun 2011 16:39

I bought it too, haven't finished reading it, but it has helped me a lot, what I've found most useful is the 61-point relaxation technique. It leads to more vivid and real-like dreams, also helps me to get SP when I'm trying to do WILD, although I haven't done it.

Good luck with your LDs!

rdubya

Postby rdubya » 28 Jun 2011 17:41

just got this --ill let you know my thoughts! thanks for the recommendations

fineganswaker

Postby fineganswaker » 17 Aug 2011 18:41

SaraM2261 wrote:Has anyone had good luck with this book?

I picked up a copy of his other book Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming, which I've heard is pretty much the same as the book that you have.

I would say overall I've had very good results with LaBerge's methods. Just reading about the various techniques seems to have helped me to have more frequent lucid dreams, but the method that continues to help me the most is the WBTB method--and learning about how sleeping (and REM cycles) work in general. These days I don't even try to have a lucid dream (or even try to recall my dreams really) until much later in the night / early morning.

Another one of LaBerge's techniques I've latched onto recently that I'm having great success with for just getting (back) to sleep is his "pot-shaped breathing" method. Just a basic, very simple method of relaxed breathing--nothing majorly "yogic" about it at all (although that's where the method originates). LaBerge talks about it as part of one of his methods to induce a WILD. I've yet to experience that--but it sure puts me right back to sleep.

Everybody's different, of course, and LaBerge himself writes that each LDers has to find the method(s) that work best for her/him--so results may vary. But anyway, best of luck with getting back on the ol' track with your LD'ing. You'll most definitely get there soon if you were lucid dreaming when you were younger (your story sounds similar to mine). Once you do start having them again (or even before your do), other good sections of LaBerge to check out are where he talks about various techniques to stabilize the LD experience. Everybody here knows how aggravating it is to finally have a lucid dream, only to have it dissolve almost as soon as you become lucid. There are definite ways to prolong your LD experience, and LaBerge covers a large variety of them pretty thoroughly.

Beyond that I'd also highly recommend you check out Robert Waggoner's book Lucid Dreaming: Gateway to the Inner Self. To be up front, there's hardly anything on technique in this book--it's more like Lucid Dreaming 2.0 Waggoner's a great, insightful writer and thinker, and he offers all kinds of great ideas and insights into both interesting experiments to do once you do start LDing with a certain amount of frequency, and great speculation into what might be going on "behind the scenes", so to speak, in the the phenomenon of LDing itself.

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”