How to stay in the dream when we are awaking?

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
Highlander

How to stay in the dream when we are awaking?

Postby Highlander » 02 Apr 2013 11:21

There was some tips here about how to prolong a lucid dream. But what I want to know is what do you do when you are about to wake up but want to stay in the dream.
I say this because in some lucid dreams i have, i begin to wake up unexpectedly. I see the whole environment in my dream disappearing, becoming invisible little by little. I concentrate on staying in the dream, i focus on it, say loudly that i do not want to wake up, that i want to stay, but it has not worked. I wake up.
Has this happened to you? What do you do? Have you got any tips for this moment when we are in the half dreaming, half awaking?

Ryan

Re: How to stay in the dream when we are awaking?

Postby Ryan » 03 Apr 2013 04:05

I wrote this for my website in the middle of last year. It's what I do when I need to stabilize and strengthen my projections.

This is one of many techniques which I’m aware of, and actually use, in order to stabilize my projections and strengthen my awareness to keep it within the reality frame I’m experiencing.

First, think about what we do to “help” others stay awake in this reality. We shake them… we yell at them to stay awake… we use chemicals like smelling salts in order to bring their awareness “HERE”. What is this doing? It’s our attempt at focusing their attention within this physical reality. Now think about how YOU keep yourself physically awake! We listen to loud music… we drink a stimulant (coffee)… we even slap ourselves… all of which brings our attention more towards this physical reality and more away from the non-physical reality.

How we do certain things in this physical reality can provide to us hints as to how to stabilize and strengthen our connection to the non-physical.

To stabilize and strengthen your non-physical experience you have to attempt to bring as much of your awareness into the environment as you can. Just as the person shaking you and yelling at you (sense of touch and hearing) in order to bring your awareness into this physical reality, we can use the same “technique” to keep our awareness within the non-physical.

What I mean by this is use your 5 senses to REALLY explore your environment. Look at things in minute detail… touch things…. hear the sounds… smell the smells… even taste things! Do this as intensely and with as much focus as you can. This will bring your awareness into the reality you’re experiencing and will LOCK it there. This has become my main method as of late and I’ve been experimenting with it over the last few non-physical experiences I’ve had. You can read them by clicking on my experiences at the top (or right side) of my website. I’ve had lucid/astral experiences which have gone on for 30 – 60 minutes doing this.

This is my explanation for it…
What generally happens when we begin to wake up from an experience like this is that the projector will begin to feel their physical body and they’ll start to pickup on the sensory input from that physical body. What I explain above causes you to ignore those physical senses and further heightens your non-physical senses which are already active in that reality. Eventually, and if you do it intensely with enough focus, this begins cutting off the physical senses altogether and leaves you experiencing just your non-physical senses and keeps you nice and stable in the non-physical reality.

http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/2012/07/22/how-to-stabilize-and-strengthen-your-projection-experiences/
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 03 Apr 2013 06:17

Never make the assumption that the dream is over and wake yourself up. They will often keep going even when things go black suddenly or you have any other indications that everything has stopped.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 04 Apr 2013 08:19

lucidinthe sky wrote:Never make the assumption that the dream is over and wake yourself up. They will often keep going even when things go black suddenly or you have any other indications that everything has stopped.

So true.

I'll share my last nights quite disappointing LD here as it is a great example of that and maybe it will give someone ideas (Im also noticing that the very beginners are just quitting the moment they wake up after a LD instead of trying to get back into the LD while they still are often in a very good state to get one back). I'll just cut and paste my whole LD from last night from my dream journal.

The dream starts out that Im in some setting (may of been a hospiital?) but Ive been unconscious. I slowly gain awareness from my unconscious state and become lucid and the dream setting then shifts... Im now in a pool making out Im unconscious still.

Im lucid and there is many people around me in this pool, not people I know. I keep my eyes shut and just let my body float...Im liking the attention my unconsciousness is bringing me, the touch and hands of people.

With my normal waking mind I decide that I'd like some sexual interaction so try to manifest a guy who has some sexual interest of me. Nothing seems to happen for a time and this dream scene keeps playing out how it was already doing. I'd started to think my thought wasnt going to manifest but a minute later.. a guy who has sexual interest in me appears and approaches me.

For some reason our sexual interaction thou is over before it really gets a chance to really start (I think I lost my focus and started to focus on all the people in the pool around me again). I then start to loose my dream to the point I completely loose it.. no sight, sound or feel from the dream.. I can only hear my fan on my real life body in bed and feel my fans cool air blowing against my physical body. Wanting to get back into the LD I decide to think strongly about the pool dream scene and all those people and 5 seconds later Im back in this dream.. back in the pool again with the people and with no feel/hearing of my physical body. (After a bit more time at the pool Im getting bored with this dream setting and once again loose my dream).

I want to get back to a LD so continue laying in bed... allowing my mind to drift, this time not focusing on anything as I'd like to find myself in a different scene then the pool one, about 1 minute later I find myself outside somewhere, their is lawn and some trees etc and some people walking about. I also see some people also lined up for a bus. A guy walks past me heading for the bus which has arrived. I call out to the DC hoping I can get him to talk to me. He does the normal DC thing thou and thou he does turn for a moment to look at me, he then continues on.

I start considering what dream challenge I should try today, I consider if I want to do one of my find other being challenges eg faires or whatever, but then decide as I know Im not deeply in the dream that today may not be a good day to do one of those challenges. Im in this scene for about a minute before I start to loose it, loosing dream sight so start working to stabilise it.

Trying to stabilise it... I think of my hands (couldnt see them) and start counting my right hand fingers without my dream sight being there. "One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six" ... my right hand has 6 fingers. I still cant see in the dream but then suddenly after counting my fingers via the feel of them.. my dream sight clearly comes in, for a split second I have a glimpse of a fairly normal looking hand but then the vision stablises and I see that both my hands have plants growing out of my finger tops.

My left hand fingers..the plants (vines) growing out of that have black leaves, the leaves are shaped like rose leaves are (but werent those). My right hand finger plants are of like a maple leaf shaped leaves with are green with some white lined parts on the leaves.

After a few seconds of clear dream sight of this I start to loose the dream again.. completely lost again. I think of the out door setting and moments later are once again in the dream, trying hard to stabilise it again. I try to look at my hands but just see blurr, with looking at my hands.. Im just further loosing the dream so are going to have to try something else.

I try yelling out "clarity now!!" (that's the very first time Ive tried doing that in a dream). As Im half out of the dream (can hear my bedroom fan and feel my physical body on my bed again thou I do this time still have some dream feedback going on still eg can still hear the dream scene too), Im doubting anything is going to happen when I try to "yell clarity now" (thought I may end up waking myself up more or accidently say it physically but I was desperate to stabilise so it was worth trying this seeing I hadnt done so before). I find thou that I do manage to call out "clarity now" in the dream and not in my real life, it thou wasnt as yelled out nor carrying the impact as I hoped, due to my fear of physically yelling out. It hasnt thou stabilise me any further thou doing that didnt destabilise me further either.. I decide to try something else to stabilise me.

I think several times of rubbing my hands but nothing is happening.. this dream is too unstable and I dont have enough feel of my dream body to make it do that. So I decide to focus on an easy dream task which will use my concentration, to try to pull me into it more and hold me in this very unstable dream.

So I think to myself "I want to see what Im wearing". I look down and my dream sight is now good. I see Im wearing a dress, it has a skirt which looks a bit pleated around the waist and some frill on the end of its long length sleeves. Its average dress length. Its a white synthetic dress and has designs all over it. I look at these closer and see they are red houses.

I look down at my feet and see they are bare, look at my hands.. no gloves, bare hands. There is nothing on my head. As soon as I finish doing this dream challege which I was doing for less then 10 seconds, I completely loose the dream YET AGAIN .

I think for a moment of if I should try to get back into dream again or not and if so what thing should I use this time to try to get back into one.. considering doing the what's in your pocket dream challenge at this point and of using the want to do that to pull me back into another dream. (This was the FOURTH time I actually lost the dream during this mornings LD experience. I decide at this point thou to stop while the going is good as I'd successfully pulled myself back into dream each time I'd previously lost it (twice after loosing it completely) so thought I'd just end it on that positive note (I didnt want to forget things either so wanted to do my dream journalling).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 04 Apr 2013 08:43

Highlander.. there is so many more things which dont work for me then do work for me when trying to stabilise myself in a dream in which Im only half in, while still having senses coming from my physical body as well or worst having to keep taking myself back into a dream over and over as I keep loosing it completely. Ive tried running, Ive tried walking, I tried moving things in my dream, Ive tried talk to DCs (and yelling at them), Ive tried spinning, Ive tried touching something, Ive tried focusing on the dream sounds (what happens when I do that is they often then suddenly became louder to the point they really hurt my dream ears and then that pain will unfortunately make me wake physically up) and sooo many more things which DONT WORK for me at all to stabilise when Im in this very vulerable state about to fall out completely of it. (its different thou if Im deep in a dream but have that body is going to wake feel soon rather then a too near waking point LD Im trying to stay in.. if its a deep dream I feel my body wants to wake up from.. I can easily keep myself in the dream then just by will).

To hold myself in a dream I asked a a DC to hand her baby to me which she then did.. so I could jig the baby up and own on my knees HARD in a desperate way to stay in a LD.. haha glad that baby wasnt real (it probably would of had brain damage from the shaking it was getting). The baby thing worked to help keep me in a dream and stabilise it (but that is probably cause I loved babies.. well worked till my dream sight suddenly came in. (I was so dropped out of the dream that I'd lost my dream sight before I'd requested the baby to hold so I could have something I could feel and very focus on.. when you loose the dream sight. that quite limits the options of what one can use to keep one in a dreaam) but when the dream stabilised and then I saw the baby, it just happened to be was so very ugly that it shocked me then out of the dream :lol: I wasnt prepared for the thing on my lap to be looking like that!!

I recently experimented to try to keep me in a dream I was about to drop out of by manifesting someone Id have sexual interest in and who'd have it in me (this other time was my ex, he was easy to focus on then a stranger so hence why I put my focus on someone I knew) and what I did is thought of him so he manifested then I flashed myself to him and asked him to touch me.. I didnt have to do nothing more.. I could just relax and let him take over to help hold me in the dream. This worked better for me to help keep me in a dream then if I was the one doing the moving or trying to do dream sexual touches myself (me dream moving when Im only "just" in a dream can make me loose it).. as I let my own subconsciousness take over by asking him to do the touching.. and then the feel of his hands on me.. this helped pull me deeper into the dream (I used him 2-3 times in that manner in one day.. it worked well to pull me into it better.. worked even when I' was was dropping out to the point I was loosing my dream sight as i can still feel his touches even if I have lost dream sight).

Another thing I recently found helps stabilise me more into a dream Im loosing is singing.. I sing a song relevent to what Im seeing in a dream (so singing with deep dream observing.. deep dream observing alone doesnt usually work to keep me in a dream unless its something which really takes my interest). When I did the recent What's in your dream pocket challenge the other week.. I sang "The Twelve days of xmas" to remember what objects I was pulling out of my dream pockets (inserted what I was finding into the song). This was a dream I was struggling to stay in going in and out and that singing about the things in the dream helped. (It was the first time I'd tried singing in a LD).

The "What's in your Pocket challenge" itself also helped keep me in a extremely shallow dream as that challenge was easy to attempt to do and when one focused on it.. it helped me stay there when I would of otherwise dropped out. The focus on the challenge extended out my dream. So I say also to make sure you have a very easy dream challenge you can focus on if you are starting to drop out of a dream (one you can still do even if your dream sight is gone).

Another technique I use if Im in a LD in which everything is shadowy to the point I cant see nothing but haze.. is I try to look for an interesting patch of haze eg a darker patch and then will focus on that patch.. wondering what is there, that can bring the dream in or I walk towards the patch is just staring at it isnt helping bring dream back. If I manage to walk towards the fuzzy patch.. it then becomes clearer.

I havent tried Ryans suggestion of hitting myself or pinching my dream self.. I dont know if that would work for me or if the pain or movement of doing that would wake me up more (moving for me is a risk if Im only half in a LD). I got to try that one some time.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 04 Apr 2013 09:11

Highlander wrote: I concentrate on staying in the dream, i focus on it, say loudly that i do not want to wake up, that i want to stay, but it has not worked. I wake up.

That may not be a good thing to be saying to yourself and focusing on cause in the act of thinking and saying "I dont want to wake up".. you are actually thinking of waking up!!! (its actually probably reinforcing to yourself your fear of waking up and that you are going to wake up).

You need to try to completely distract yourself from thinking you are going to wake up, look for something in the dream to do that (it needs to be something which will really hold your attention) or create a dream situation which will distract you from thinking about waking up. (I gave examples of things in my other posts).

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 04 Apr 2013 09:49

Thank you, taniaaust1. You gave me a lot of tips for me to try. Wow. I believe i will do better next time.

As for your dream you posted... very interesting and quite a struggle. Interesting to read all of your attempts to get back to the dream. You are a dream fighter. ;)

And you are right about my dream. I should not concentrate to not wake up but instead to be in the dream, to feel it, to hear it... I'm looking forward for the next attempt.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 04 Apr 2013 10:37

Highlander wrote: As for your dream you posted... very interesting and quite a struggle. Interesting to read all of your attempts to get back to the dream. You are a dream fighter. ;)

The good thing thou when we get a dream which is being so hard to stay in.. is all the LD practice we get out of it even if we arent getting much of a chance to have fun. We can only grow in our LD skills from it.

There is still so much I want to play around with and try to develop my ability to LD skills. It will be great when I can work out what works best for me consistantly.. at the moment Im still trying different things as I got more ideas of things which "may" work well which I havent tried yet (its only been the past 6 weeks that Im starting to find techniques which are working for me after the common ones didnt). Maybe by the end of the year I'll have it all trialed out and be consistantly using the same technique(s) to keep myself in dreams or maybe it helps to have variation??? Another thing I need to work out.

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 05 Apr 2013 10:36

Damn, today i was so close to accomplish that. I had another lucid dream and when it began to fade i tryed several things, some of your suggestions. I remembered most of them in my dream.
It was getting dark and the environment was fading. I rubbed my hands, concentrated on counting the fingers of the hand (i had 6), counted again (had 7), spinned for about 10 seconds... it still was dark.
Got back to rubbing the hands and counting fingers (this time 8). I then said out loud:
- "Clarity now!!" (i remembered what taniaaust1 said here). "I want to see objects, I want things to appear in front of me!"
But it had no results. I wake up. I then tryed to not open my eyes and focus on returning to dream. I stayed that way for about 3 minutes. It did not work.
I was closer to do it than the previous ones. I believe with more practice i can do it.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 08 Apr 2013 11:54

Highlander wrote:Damn, today i was so close to accomplish that. I had another lucid dream and when it began to fade i tryed several things, some of your suggestions. I remembered most of them in my dream.
It was getting dark and the environment was fading. I rubbed my hands, concentrated on counting the fingers of the hand (i had 6), counted again (had 7), spinned for about 10 seconds... it still was dark.
Got back to rubbing the hands and counting fingers (this time 8). I then said out loud:
- "Clarity now!!" (i remembered what taniaaust1 said here). "I want to see objects, I want things to appear in front of me!"
But it had no results. I wake up. I then tryed to not open my eyes and focus on returning to dream. I stayed that way for about 3 minutes. It did not work.
I was closer to do it than the previous ones. I believe with more practice i can do it.

From what you said, it sounds like you managed to prolong your fading dream for quite a while with the spinning and counting even if you were WORKING HARD to stay in the dream state the whole time (I know only too well about that one!!) so congrats on that :D ... its a real pity the image didnt suddenly become clear again for you.. I always find it so exciting and satisfying when I achieve it.

At least you can cross some things off your list of what "dont work" in anyway for you at all eg the "Clarity now' (Im not 100% sure yet that definately wont ever work for me but I have my doubts due to my last experience with it)..

Keep trying different things and Im sure you will end up finding some things which can work better.

You could try doing the "What's in my pocket? " challenge on a fading dream IF that challenge interests you. I found that a good one to help me stay longer in a dream.. also found my dream vision came back in when I looked down to see what I was wearing.

Better luck next time at getting back into a dream you've lost. Keep trying, Im sure you will get there and start to experience getting a dream back.

I then tryed to not open my eyes and focus on returning to dream. I stayed that way for about 3 minutes. It did not work.

Dont try too hard when trying that.. just allow your mind to drift on thoughts of the dream you want to get back too.

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”