REM in meditation?

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
rsabulls

REM in meditation?

Postby rsabulls » 03 Sep 2011 05:23

ive noticed a couple of times that when i meditate, i start of have rapid eye movement. my eyes move all over the place, and hyponogic imagery kind of occurs, in the form of waves of colour, any chance i could enter a WILD or something similar from this state?

opkluu

Re: REM in meditation?

Postby opkluu » 03 Sep 2011 12:47

Huh, sounds similar to what happens to me sometimes as I attempt to WILD at night. Your eyes just start to twitch around for no reason, right?

I don't really know though, always stop them, because I think it'll interfere with me relaxing and whatnot

rdubya

Postby rdubya » 13 Sep 2011 16:29

REM can occur during meditation, the sleep state that is referred to as that is because when it occurs it is basically a signal showing what state your brain is in of your sleep cycle. If you catch yourself with REM during meditation, try relaxing your body, you may be too tense.

Peter

Postby Peter » 13 Sep 2011 16:40

Think you could. I have had a few WILD's by doing that either on my back or lying down in bed. Beware that if you are sitting and meditating you might fall over :P
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 16 Sep 2011 16:43

rsabulls wrote:ive noticed a couple of times that when i meditate, i start of have rapid eye movement. my eyes move all over the place, and hyponogic imagery kind of occurs, in the form of waves of colour, any chance i could enter a WILD or something similar from this state?

If you have read anything about Robert Monroe and his Focus Model (he writes about it in his third book, "Ultimate Journeys")... what you're experiencing is what he calls "Focus 12".

The "eyes flickering" part isn't normal for it though... I've found through my own experiences is that it's related to the muscles around your eyes not being fully relaxed/tension released prior to getting into Focus 12.

My solution that has worked well for me is to stretch my eyes out prior to practicing. Close them tightly a few times, and try rotating them around as much as comfortably possible... don't stress them too much. :)
After that, when I meditate, I try to release all the tension in the muscles around certain parts of my head... I focus upon my eyes/eyelids, ears and forehead mostly. Other areas include the mouth, cheeks and scalp too. See if you can release the tension out of those muscles by sheer will by just focusing upon them... your aim is to 'feel' the release and the muscle drooping. For your eyes, that'll lock them tightly closed so you won't have to worry about them anymore. :)
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”