Problems with staying lucid

How to control and prolong lucid dreams, increase the intensity, work with dream characters, and communicate with the subconscious.
Hypnagogia

Problems with staying lucid

Postby Hypnagogia » 26 Dec 2013 15:11

Hey, so I'm fairly new to lucid dreaming but have been practicing reality checks and techniques such as WILD on and off since the beginning of September.
On a few occasions, including last night, I have become lucid and realise that i'm in a dreaming state in the middle of an ordinary dream that I was having before, and it seems real and i'm aware that i'm dreaming. However that is all it ever is: I dream, I realise that I'm dreaming when I ask myself 'Am I dreaming?' , and then I forget and fall back into that ordinary dream again, but the dream doesn't change I just carry on without any control over it. I guess I need to stabilise the dream somehow but when i'm in that state I always forget and fall back asleep -__- if anyone could help out i'd be very grateful xox

Highlander

Re: Problems with staying lucid

Postby Highlander » 26 Dec 2013 17:11

It seems that you didn't set any goals for when you become lucid. Try to set some goals. For example, as soon as you become lucid, try to look at your hands, or rub them against each other, or run, or fly... Think os something to do as soon as you become lucid to make you keep in that state for a little longer.

Hypnagogia

Postby Hypnagogia » 28 Dec 2013 17:18

Right, only how do I remind myself to do these things? Once I realise that I'm dreaming it doesn't even cross my mind to do these checks :O

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 28 Dec 2013 17:25

Hypnagogia wrote:Right, only how do I remind myself to do these things? Once I realise that I'm dreaming it doesn't even cross my mind to do these checks :O

That's what MILD is useful for. If you do MILD, repeating a phrase of your own, to set a goal, you'll remember.

Hypnagogia

Postby Hypnagogia » 30 Dec 2013 13:53

okay, thank you so much :D

abart65

Postby abart65 » 01 Jan 2014 08:00

Yeah Highlander has it. Even now after a couple of years of lucid dreaming I still sometimes lose lucidity in the dream as I have nothing else planned to do while lucid. Though I realised that in these moments when I know I don't really have anything to do, I jump into the sky and fly. It's always exhilarating for me no matter how many times I do it and always brings me to new places to explore and new "people" to meet giving me something else to do

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 01 Jan 2014 21:00

The same thing happens to me! ;) I read in an article on this site that said by constantly telling yourself that you're dreaming every minute or so helps remind you and stay lucid for longer if that helps at all? :)
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 04 Jan 2014 10:17

dont get offended at this question at all but are you sure you werent just dreaming you got lucid?

I ask as usually when someone gets lucid, there is excitment and that feeling of excitement will often wake the person up or at least for a very brief time (if only seconds after).. keep the person waking consciousness there enough to at least have another thought.. eg what can I do in this state?

If you arent just dreaming you were lucid.. I suggest next time as soon as you realise to do something using your waking brain to help add in staying conscious a bit longer eg you could try counting or adding numbers or do something else with your normal waking brain eg repeat who you are and your address. Work to bring a bit more waking consciousness into the dream (LD is about balance).

As another said.. having a dream goal you can focus on as soon as you have become lucid could help too.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “Dream Control Specifics”