My Dream Ended when I Realized I was in Dream, Why?

How to control and prolong lucid dreams, increase the intensity, work with dream characters, and communicate with the subconscious.
User avatar
MysticalMeadows
Posts: 72
Joined: 15 Dec 2016 02:22

My Dream Ended when I Realized I was in Dream, Why?

Postby MysticalMeadows » 06 Jan 2017 07:03

So last night I had a normal yet very vivid dream where far into the dream I realized "wait this is to crazy to be real, this is probably a dream". And the second I had that thought the dream turned completely black and nothing was there to be seen and I then later moved on to another dream where I was completely unaware that I was in a dream. I'm not sure what happened because I thought that after you realize you're in a dream it becomes a lucid dream, but mine just ended and went completely black. What do you recommend I do to make the dream lucid and not just end?

All responses are greatly appreciated. :D

matthew
Posts: 2
Joined: 06 Jan 2017 12:51

Re: My Dream Ended when I Realized I was in Dream, Why?

Postby matthew » 06 Jan 2017 13:04

That's a really good question. I think it is quite normal for lucid dreamers or people trying to build lucid abilities to transition between dream levels and this sounds like what you are doing. I have had the same kind of experience often. One thing to focus on that may help is to try to be aware as possible of the actual transition between the lucid dream and the non-lucid dream. If you can train yourself to become even a little aware of the dynamics of the transition state this can really help in staying lucid even between dream levels.

That said, it is in my experience not always possible to stay lucid between levels and sometimes a fleeting lucid experience at one dream level is all you can expect. Any bit of lucidity is a blessing!

Good luck,
Matthew

User avatar
MysticalMeadows
Posts: 72
Joined: 15 Dec 2016 02:22

Re: My Dream Ended when I Realized I was in Dream, Why?

Postby MysticalMeadows » 06 Jan 2017 19:11

matthew wrote:That's a really good question. I think it is quite normal for lucid dreamers or people trying to build lucid abilities to transition between dream levels and this sounds like what you are doing. I have had the same kind of experience often. One thing to focus on that may help is to try to be aware as possible of the actual transition between the lucid dream and the non-lucid dream. If you can train yourself to become even a little aware of the dynamics of the transition state this can really help in staying lucid even between dream levels.

That said, it is in my experience not always possible to stay lucid between levels and sometimes a fleeting lucid experience at one dream level is all you can expect. Any bit of lucidity is a blessing!

Good luck,
Matthew
Thank you for the help. :D

User avatar
Sean Jacobs
Posts: 554
Joined: 23 Dec 2016 22:04

Re: My Dream Ended when I Realized I was in Dream, Why?

Postby Sean Jacobs » 17 Jan 2017 18:09

MysticalMeadows wrote:So last night I had a normal yet very vivid dream where far into the dream I realized "wait this is to crazy to be real, this is probably a dream". And the second I had that thought the dream turned completely black and nothing was there to be seen and I then later moved on to another dream where I was completely unaware that I was in a dream. I'm not sure what happened because I thought that after you realize you're in a dream it becomes a lucid dream, but mine just ended and went completely black. What do you recommend I do to make the dream lucid and not just end?

All responses are greatly appreciated. :D


Sometimes our subconscious minds can be real jerks! :x Expectations are what drive your dreams. So when you thought "this is probably a dream." My guess would be you were at a very low level of lucidity, because you were not fully convinced you were dreaming and your subconscious responded by giving the equivalent of a false awakening. Things went dark, like you are sleeping, a new dream started shortly after, and your "dream logic" just played along with the new dream. When your suspicion that you are dreaming is confirmed with a reality check you will have a much higher level of lucidity and you will have few issues.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

User avatar
MysticalMeadows
Posts: 72
Joined: 15 Dec 2016 02:22

Re: My Dream Ended when I Realized I was in Dream, Why?

Postby MysticalMeadows » 18 Jan 2017 00:57

Sean Jacobs wrote:
MysticalMeadows wrote:So last night I had a normal yet very vivid dream where far into the dream I realized "wait this is to crazy to be real, this is probably a dream". And the second I had that thought the dream turned completely black and nothing was there to be seen and I then later moved on to another dream where I was completely unaware that I was in a dream. I'm not sure what happened because I thought that after you realize you're in a dream it becomes a lucid dream, but mine just ended and went completely black. What do you recommend I do to make the dream lucid and not just end?

All responses are greatly appreciated. :D


Sometimes our subconscious minds can be real jerks! :x Expectations are what drive your dreams. So when you thought "this is probably a dream." My guess would be you were at a very low level of lucidity, because you were not fully convinced you were dreaming and your subconscious responded by giving the equivalent of a false awakening. Things went dark, like you are sleeping, a new dream started shortly after, and your "dream logic" just played along with the new dream. When your suspicion that you are dreaming is confirmed with a reality check you will have a much higher level of lucidity and you will have few issues.
Thank you for making out what you think happened! :D That sounds like what happened, but I remember that the instant I had the realization that I was in a dream in blacked out before I could do a reality check.

User avatar
HAGART
Posts: 3323
Joined: 05 Jan 2012 21:09
Location: CANADA

Re: My Dream Ended when I Realized I was in Dream, Why?

Postby HAGART » 23 Jan 2017 07:01

Losing lucidity as quickly as it comes is very common. It's like an awareness switch that can turn on, but also turn off just as quickly. I'm not sure what to do differently, but must say it happens to me too sometimes. I also get a lot of false awakenings after lucid dreams, and should know better by now, but like Sean said, our subconscious can be a real jerk sometimes! :x

That reminds me of a Pete Holmes joke about dreams and how our brains hate us. I uploaded it on You Tube. We lucid dreamers should watch it and have a laugh.

https://youtu.be/DmaU12Vszl0
(Viewer Discretion is Advised. Just a few swear words, no big deal)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.


Return to “Dream Control Specifics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests