Board index   FAQ   Search  
Lucid Dreaming BlogLUCID DREAMING BLOG Register  Login
Board index World of Lucid Dreaming Forum Dream Control Specifics

Mirrors and Lucid Dreams

How to control and prolong lucid dreams, increase the intensity, work with dream characters, and communicate with the subconscious.

Mirrors and Lucid Dreams

Postby Rebecca » 01 May 2011 00:27

Has anyone tried the mirror experiment in their lucid dreams?
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/the-mirror-experiment.html

Basically the challenge is in two parts:

1. Look at yourself in a dream mirror....... results may vary!

2. Allow the mirror to become liquid and use it as a portal to another dimension or new dream scene.
Rebecca
Site Admin

Re: Mirrors and Lucid Dreams

Postby maya » 01 May 2011 15:11

I've had a variety of funny results whilst looking in mirrors, but the one time i jumped through i decided to take my deceased cat Rudy in with me for some reason:
    I remember the mirror task and go inside. I see our hallway mirror. I head straight for it. The large full-size mirror faces another wall in our narrow hallway, so i can walk up to it diagonally and not have to see my reflection. i'm so tempted to just jump through, but stop myself remembering that i can try to pull a DC through. I think of my mum and dad, and know they would be rather stubborn or difficult to pull through let alone convince to come through with me. Our dog might be an option.. I dont know why but suddenly i get excited at the idea of calling on my deceased cats. I call their names and make that noise i haven't made for years. Out from behind corners come my cats Kicha and Rudy (Kicha is brown tabby female, Rudy is Ginger male). They come up and i pick one up at a time. My parents seem to be in the living room now, my dog sitting at dads side. i pat Kicha and go towards the mirror. She wriggles about uncomfortably and i agree to let her go. Before picking up the second cat, i look at my dog.. i get the "i'm not going anywhere" look. I wonder again whether i can pull mum or dad through without their permission so i ask them whether i can take them somewhere with me. As usual they shoot a million questions and i just say "well someones coming with me" in slight frustration. Finally i pick up Rudy. He holds his arms out stiff (as usual) when i pick him up. I walk towards the mirror and for a brief moment i see Kicha's reflection in the mirror. She is sitting facing the door in both views. I see the top of her head swirl a bit in the reflection, but before it gets too freaky i proceed to walk straight into the mirror holding Rudy. Basically i pass through it without any resistance. Once through, i turn around and i can see the hallway through the mirror i passed through. I'm in a "no-place" everything is made up of muddled imagery as though everything had been put through a blender giving it an overall silvery-grey textured appearance which has a seemingly endless depth to it. However.. many things happen at the time of my initial passing through the mirror: As i approach the mirror, my cat begins to wriggle, and a split second before going through, my mother appears behind me shrieking and freaking out, which gives me a small fright because i thought that the cat made the noise. As soon as i pass through i get a few succeeding electric shocks to my left lower rib, sort of where i'm holding the cat. i check whether i'm still holding him to see if i complete the challenge. He has vanished yet his presence is still in my arms at the same time. Its like his presence had turned into a madly convulsing invisible entity giving off electric shocks. i think they were actually muscle spasms which awoke me back to my real body. i RC and begin to feel a little guilty because realize that i was trying to take my deceased cat through the mirror without informing him! lol how thoughtless!

I'm thinking maybe some day i'll be brave or lucidly stable enough to use a mirror as a portal by visualizing the desired destination on the other side or something..
maya

Postby Shade » 04 May 2011 01:29

Its interesting to note here as i'm sure Rebecca you will agree that expectation plays a huge role in what happens. In Laberge's book i read that it can cause you to wake up and sure as anything when i tried it i awoke. The portal idea is cool though. It could be used for dream transport.

As you mentioned dimensions and portals in your post i think that someone who tries it for the first time will experience exactly that as now they are expecting it. would be interesting to hear some more results :P
Shade

Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom - Upper East Side, Manhattan, USA

Postby Rebecca » 04 May 2011 09:38

Looking in a dream mirror has always been a fun/disturbing challenge for me. I still do it just to push the boundary and freak myself out! Always makes for interesting dissection the next day.

Maya that is a cool mirror dream, I'm fascinated by what you saw on the other side. Did you have any expectations about where you'd end up?
Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby alucidlife » 05 May 2011 13:01

Hi Everyone!

I looked in the mirror because I was curious to see what my dream self looked like. I found myself looking just like I usually do, but a little blury! I have been wanting to try the mirror experiment again and see if it can be a portal to another place! :)

Rebecca, what is your favorite lucid dream involving mirrors?
alucidlife

Postby Rebecca » 06 May 2011 00:39

My favorite mirror dreams are ones where I successfully portal somewhere really cool. I quoted this one in my article because it's definitely up there (even though the start was really frustrating, it had a happy conclusion).

"The door to my bedroom is closed so I tell myself there will be a field on the other side of it. But when I open the door... I just see the hallway, as I annoyingly suspected! I try again, closing the door and say 'there will be a sunny field on the other side THIS time', but it still doesn't work.

I leave the room, rubbing my hands together, checking they look normal (I keep seeing 5, then 6 fingers on my hands) and saying 10 + 10 = 20 to increase my lucidity. Then I see a mirror in the hallway and decide this is my chance to teleport. I feel more lucid now, and this time I approach it slowly, pushing my fingers through the surface of the mirror and it becomes liquidy.

I push further into the mirror and finally my eyes go through and I emerge into a big meadow with a train track running through the middle. It is WAY better than I imagined. The sky is romantic - purple, blue, pink and orange - and the fields are full of beautiful wild flowers. The hills are rolling which I had not expected and there are mountains in the far distance. I am overjoyed!"

Another cool portal method uses plain old doors - sometimes called "dream doors" because of their magic properties. Find a door in the dreamscape and imagine a whole different scene on the other side. Then open it, and often a new scene will be there waiting for you...

The first time I discovered this I just kept closing and opening the same door over and over, each time to be met with a different scene and some very puzzled looking people on the other side, from all different periods in time. It was so funny, I couldn't help testing my dream to see how many new scenes and rooms it could come up with on the other side. To all these door-world people, I was like a crazy time traveler popping in and out of existence :lol:
Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 26 May 2011 05:42

Last night I did another mirror experiment:

I catch my reflection in the mirror and remember the mirror experiment, so I give it another go. It's very odd; everything looks perfectly normal and clear except for my teeth (of which I only have 3 remaining) and my eyes which are all weird - my pupil is in the shape of a crescent moon. I look away and back again. Now I grin manically. My teeth are still all messed up and my eyeballs are all shrunken and they really hurt when I look at them.

There is definitely something strange about the eyes and teeth in dream mirrors!!
Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Caspi » 26 May 2011 12:46

Very intresting! It's definitely what I'm going to do in my next LD,
Also I'm going to try another thing, when I'll look at myself in the Miror I'm going to try to put my hand through the mirror and pull my self from the mirror, it's definitely a try!
My first LD was I think when I was a child, about 11 years old, i was in a strange mountain, full of small black rocks, I knew that it was a dream, so i rolled over and over to the end of it :P.
Caspi

Postby Jonathan » 01 Jun 2011 04:02

You've been doing some cool stuff lately, Rebecca.

I've only experimented a little with mirrors so far. Once I walked into a mirror in my old house, and yeah it felt like a weird jello-ish liquid, and I ended up in a small dark closet on the other side. Not very exciting. :lol:

I've also noticed that images in the dream mirrors seem a bit blurry. At least, I think I remember that...
Jonathan

Postby Rebecca » 02 Jun 2011 00:08

Jonathan wrote:Once I walked into a mirror in my old house, and yeah it felt like a weird jello-ish liquid, and I ended up in a small dark closet on the other side. Not very exciting. :lol:

Hahaha glad I'm not the only one! I did the same thing once but just pushed my face through and I saw the interior of the wall with copper pipes and everything. It's wasn't the alternate reality I was hoping for! :roll:

Jonathan wrote:I've also noticed that images in the dream mirrors seem a bit blurry. At least, I think I remember that...

It probably depends on the dream and your level of lucidity at the time. In my latest one, my reflection was very clear like real life, so I was pulling faces at the mirror to see if she reacted at the same time - and she did! I say "she" because although it looked a lot like me there was definitely something NOT me about it!
Rebecca
Site Admin

Next

Return to Dream Control Specifics