Tried a different way to do MILD and it worked

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
lucidinthe sky

Tried a different way to do MILD and it worked

Postby lucidinthe sky » 31 Oct 2013 16:17

This morning I tried something I would call IILD, Intention Induced Lucid Dream and it worked. I used the MILD technique, but instead of using phrases repeated in my thoughts, I removed all thoughts and focused my intention only on having a lucid dream. I did not allow myself to have thoughts about anything while I was doing it. There's no way I can explain how to do it except to say that you really have to go beyond a purely mental exercise. I'll have to repeat the method and see if it works again.

The lucid dream that resulted was fairly short, maybe 5 minutes but still pretty good. I was coming down a flight of stairs that had a right angle turn in it with a railing. Did a reality check and saw 4 fingers on my hand. Down below there was a large tiled open area with a bunch of dream characters hanging around. I quickly decided to jump over the railing and fly down to them. Had the familiar thoughts don't do it, your crazy, what if it's not a dream Everyone was staring at me when I did it. I landed at the bottom and started talking to them, just small talk. Took off one of my shoes and tossed in across the room into a small trash can. The DCs were impressed by that and I told them that you can always land things exactly where you want. Took off the other shoe and threw that one to show them. Two DCs scrambled to block it and it missed the trash can. So much for trying to impress them.

Anyway, the method worked and I'm going to try it again.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

tea

Re: Tried a different way to do MILD and it worked

Postby tea » 31 Oct 2013 17:52

cool that it worked! still, i would not call it anything else but MILD... you see, MILD is about setting the intention and triggering lucidity because of wanting to lucid dream. although planting intentions may be a part of this technique, i've never been saying my phrase over and over again (like i would do with a mantra) but instead i tried really getting it deep into my mind ^^

so, i guess i personally would still call your technique MILD. nevertheless, awesome! :D
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 31 Oct 2013 18:19

tea wrote:cool that it worked! still, i would not call it anything else but MILD... you see, MILD is about setting the intention and triggering lucidity because of wanting to lucid dream. although planting intentions may be a part of this technique, i've never been saying my phrase over and over again (like i would do with a mantra) but instead i tried really getting it deep into my mind ^^

so, i guess i personally would still call your technique MILD. nevertheless, awesome! :D

You're right, it's still MILD and repeating the phrases in my mind has worked for me in the past, but like you say, getting deep into your mind is the key, it's definitely beyond just normal thinking. You really need to want it, not just superficially, but deeper. It's as if the lucid dream activation knows how much you really want it and there's no tricking it. Usually that wanting it has to build up for me to have a lucid dream.

Interesting though because intentions are not part of any thought process really, they are something deeper and accessing that place is somewhat of mystery for me. But if you get it right, things just happen, it's quite amazing.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 31 Oct 2013 23:30

I woke up with a revelation too.
I tend to dream about what I think about before going to sleep. Not on purpose, but it's something I noticed over time.

This morning I realized, most of my dreams are not about what I was thinking about before bed, what what I desired. An urge is different than a passing idea or thought.

We think in our heads, but there is another thought that feels like it's coming from the chest. (The heart if you will). That's the best way to describe the feeling, but we all knew that already didn't we? It sounds cheesy, but let your heart guide you. I'm gonna try this more often and see if it works.

With my analytical mind who likes to explain things, I say there is a difference between thought, and urges. It's the urges that drive dreams, not concentration.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 01 Nov 2013 05:25

HAGART wrote:I woke up with a revelation too.
I tend to dream about what I think about before going to sleep. Not on purpose, but it's something I noticed over time.

This morning I realized, most of my dreams are not about what I was thinking about before bed, what what I desired. An urge is different than a passing idea or thought.

We think in our heads, but there is another thought that feels like it's coming from the chest. (The heart if you will). That's the best way to describe the feeling, but we all knew that already didn't we? It sounds cheesy, but let your heart guide you. I'm gonna try this more often and see if it works.

With my analytical mind who likes to explain things, I say there is a difference between thought, and urges. It's the urges that drive dreams, not concentration.

I think a lot of people who are into lucid dreaming figure this out. It's definitely not a mental exercise. Dreams are a product of our desires and beliefs more than anything else. You may think you want something, but a dream will show the true desires of the heart as you say.

But to me it seems like even more than that, like a combination of intention and causation. There's an action to actually do it, an action that causes something to happen. It is more than just wanting something, it's more than visualizing it, I do like the word manifesting (though not the way some use it). I like the word because you actually just "make it happen" as simply as that. The progression is Want, decide, intend, expect, and then happen What makes it difficult is that it is really effortless. I know I am doing it, but don't really know how (yet). I don't think there are any instructions you can follow for this, you just have to do it.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 02 Nov 2013 16:30

An update on this technique, tried it again last night and it worked again. An interesting note, spent minimal time and effort doing it.

I had been complaining to myself about the visuals lately not being as good as they could be, just wondering why. This dream changed that. It had really excellent visuals again and the level of realism was totally amazing.

The dream starts walking on this concrete walkway which came to a tunnel. It was really narrow and dark inside, but just as I started in could see someone on a bicycle riding through in the other direction. I waited for them to come out then started walking through the tunnel. The tunnel opened up into someone's apartment where it makes a right angle turn and then continues. The people who lived there were used to people coming through their living space and I stopped to talk to them. The place was a mess and lots of mud everywhere. There was a kitchen upstairs where they sent me to get something to drink. They had some kind of canned juice which had flakes in it, maybe coconut juice. The flakes kept floating out of the glass and making a mess on the floor so I went over to the sink and dumped the stuff out and washed out the glass and my hands. I spent quite a bit of time looking at details of the sink faucet, studying it and touching it, just thinking to myself how perfectly real it was, but knowing it was a dream. I was really trying to find something wrong with it, anything that even slightly off, but there was nothing. It was so tempting to wake myself up just to prove that it was a dream. The whole time I was thinking how there's no way to tell it was a dream from the sink and faucet. I found what I could only describe as some sort of fabric, but the material felt like plant leaves. It felt wet and slimy, but As I lifted and stretched it the feeling changed to something more fabric-like, drier and actually formed into the shape of a garment. Really cool because I knew I was actually making this, but meanwhile everything still looked and felt completely real.

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”