Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.

Postby Summerlander » 20 Dec 2013 14:55

I wrote about an experience with strange dream characters that looked like harlequins about four years ago. It is mainly for pluginmango to read about the closest experience I've had with clowns (besides the circus in real life :mrgreen: ). I've never dreamt about clowns as far as I recall though.

"Entry into the phase (OOBEs/LDs/AP) involved the sensation of separating from the atonic physical body into a setting that counterfeited my home interior. One of my clocks had a different appearance and there were some paintings on the walls which looked strangely familiar, as though they had been painted by me, but, I have no recollection of having done so. Since I’m an artist, I wondered if I had seen the paintings that I am yet to create in actuality or perhaps ideas which - depending on my disposition - may or may not manifest in physicality. The phase seemed to be presenting me with the opportunity to view that which appeared to be coming from the deep unconscious.

I had just stumbled upon one of its many benefits - a shortcut to access hidden mental creations with a perspective of such intensity as to inspire progress towards artistic virtuosity. I went through one of the mirrors in my 'house' hoping to find vibrant worlds. What I found on the other side was a disappointing extension of the hallway. Then, everything went dark and I heard distant voices. I felt uncomfortable in that darkness so I wished for light. A spec of light appeared in a perceived distance and I found myself shifting towards it at an amazing speed.

The light grew quickly until a brilliantly lit gallery setting surrounded me. I hovered down a staircase towards an open door that led outdoors and discovered a marketplace in a strange city beneath a summer sky. Its habitants wore normal clothes and went about their business. I noticed an old-looking man beholding the scenery and asked him where we were. He bemusedly replied that he didn’t know. I spotted a chubby woman wearing what looked like early 20th century clothes not too far from there. She wore a massive hat slightly to one side of her head which included an adornment of roses. I asked her the same question I had asked the bemused man previously and she replied in a strange language which reminded me of Polish - to which I expressed my confusion before moving away to explore the unknown. I entered a random house and encountered two pale-skinned characters that constantly smiled at me and reminded me of harlequins or jesters.

One was green-eyed and the other was blue-eyed and both had certain exaggerated features like cartoons. The green-eyed one, for example, had a rather long nose. They seemed friendly at first but then I sensed something malicious about them - or felt that they might be capable of evil deeds - but it could have been my fear or paranoia from apparently being a foreigner in a strange town. Their faces suddenly expressed condescension and their penetrating gaze almost mocked me. They had long arms or rather botched up bodily features, like sentient dream archetypes in a super vivid environment. They were mute the whole time and the green-eyed character opened his arms as though expecting to be hugged. I hugged him in order to feign being at ease with the contact while the other one leered and sneered at me.

After the embrace, I shifted away and into a comfortable darkness before waking up. I pondered about how settled the environment appeared to be and wondered if I visited another reality instead of a product of my own imagination. I also considered the possibility of existent realms of spirit. Was that strange city a non-physical home to souls of the deceased? Is there an afterlife, and, if so, do they know they are dead? Or are they in a delusional state which causes them to continue as though they still lead earthly lives? And who were the harlequin-like beings? Is there a psychological reason as to why my mind would concoct such animate forms? One can only speculate. It is worth mentioning that drawing cartoon-strips has been a hobby of mine in my childhood."

I was still somewhat of a novice at the time and for the most part, an agnostic. I wondered about the real nature of those harlequins whilst undecided about whether or not I had really separated from my physical body to roam in a spirit realm. The umbrella term "phase" or "phase state" is used here to refer to the distinct state of mind that gives rise to what people commonly describe as "lucid dreams," "out-of-body experiences," and "astral projection." More about the use of this term here:

I drew the characters, too:

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”