What just happened to me?

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
morning_fog

What just happened to me?

Postby morning_fog » 18 May 2012 16:50

I first heard about the concept of lucid dreaming a few days ago and was very interested in trying it out. Still, for all my anticipation, I still held some degree of skepticism only because I wouldn't really know when or if I was lucid or awake in a dream, having no experience to compare it to. I might have been lucid dreaming a few times in the past without knowing it, but now I'd like to be sure. This is why I really need your help and opinions. Just yesterday I took a nap and had an experience that I knew had to be more than just normal dreaming, but I need to know what. Now to note, my dream recall skills aren't sharp. I bought a journal a week ago to start writing my dreams in. It was only till yesterday that it actually got its first use. :lol: From all that I wrote and can recall, here is what happened:

I had just gotten off of work, graveyard shift from 3AM to 7AM. I was drained physically and mentally, my eyes were dying to close, and I really needed to rest. So I went to my room, put on a movie, and laid down for a nap. It felt so amazing by the way. I tried staying up to watch the movie but gave up half way through and faded off to sleep.

I don't know how long I was out, but here is the account of what I saw and felt through my eyes next. I opened my eyes and was still laying in my bed. Still tired and groggy, I thought I had woken up. But here's the weird part, and I mean this entirely, something about the room just didn't seem right. Didn't seem normal. Again my recall ability isn't the best right now, but just something in all of my gut told me that something was off about the "room" I was laying in. I have been reading this site's information in and out for a week or two so I tried to remember some of the techniques I read. In my head, I loudly shouted "I'm dreaming!" in case I actually was, so as to try to become conscious. Whether things became clear at that point, I can't recall. :cry:

What I can recall the clearest is what I felt next. I remembered reading about reality checks and performing them during dreams. I had been doing a few of them in my normal day like many had suggested. So I decided that I would try one now to really see if I was awake or dreaming. Only when I tried to do the two-finger RC, I couldn't move! Literally I tried moving my body and it was like I was cemented to my bed or chained down tight. Couldn't move, couldn't even speak. Just blink. I tried focusing all my energy to move my hands and arms, the only bit I could manage was a miniscule twitch in my left index finger. I closed my eyes and thought to myself. "This can't be real, I want to wake up." Time passed (how much, I don't know) and the next time my eyes opened, things felt normal. I did an RC and knew I was awake.

I apologize for not being able to recall more. I'm jotting down anything I remember from my dreams from now on, no matter what it is. But for any and all who read this, from novice to expert and everyone in between, please help me. What happened to me? What was it that I experienced :?:

torakrubik

Re: What just happened to me?

Postby torakrubik » 18 May 2012 22:54

morning_fog wrote:
But here's the weird part, and I mean this entirely, something about the room just didn't seem right. Didn't seem normal.

This is very typical of false awakenings. Just keep trying and i'm sure your next lucid dream will be more eventful as you get more used to it :)
Dreaming is my drug

morning_fog

Postby morning_fog » 19 May 2012 00:52

False awakenings...hmm. Well I definitely will keep trying. I guess I just didn't know what to call it.

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 19 May 2012 13:50

This is more accurately what you experienced. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sARlrNoUt0
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 24 May 2012 05:43

This sounds like sleep paralysis. Although you could also call it a false awakening because you hadn't actually woken up. The room looked off because you were, to some degree, dreaming. And you were only able to move your eyes, as this is one of the few parts of the body not subjected to the natural paralysis mechanism (that prevents you from acting out your dreams).

You can use this state as a stepping stone to lucid dreams. You were very close, you just didn't know what to do with it. Sleep paralysis doesn't come naturally to me, I tend to skip straight through it and into the lucid dream state. Perhaps the two best known lucid dreamers who specifically use SP to lucid dream are:

Ryan Hurd - http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/sleep-paralysis-nightmares.html and
Nick Newport - http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/lucidology-review.html

You will find more info in those articles and on their respective websites.

morning_fog

Postby morning_fog » 24 May 2012 07:58

Rebecca wrote:This sounds like sleep paralysis. Although you could also call it a false awakening because you hadn't actually woken up. The room looked off because you were, to some degree, dreaming. And you were only able to move your eyes, as this is one of the few parts of the body not subjected to the natural paralysis mechanism (that prevents you from acting out your dreams).

You can use this state as a stepping stone to lucid dreams. You were very close, you just didn't know what to do with it. Sleep paralysis doesn't come naturally to me, I tend to skip straight through it and into the lucid dream state. Perhaps the two best known lucid dreamers who specifically use SP to lucid dream are:

Ryan Hurd - http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/sleep-paralysis-nightmares.html and
Nick Newport - http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/lucidology-review.html

You will find more info in those articles and on their respective websites.

Thank you Rebecca. That was the answer I have been searching for.

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”