First lucid? Or just a nightmare?

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
wide-eyed-sleep

First lucid? Or just a nightmare?

Postby wide-eyed-sleep » 17 Apr 2015 15:22

So for the last few years i have been trying to enter lucid dreams. Sometimes i get close to sleep paralysis and then get scared, resulting in me moving or stopping it from occurring. Once i actually did enter sleep paralysis (on accident) and became so scared I will-powered my way into moving, therefore waking myself up.

This is finals week. I have been awake at ungodly hours working on papers all week. I am running on several boxes of macaroni and saltines. I fell asleep at 1PM due to exhaustion. I wake up at 11pm the same day, but decide to rest in bed a while longer. I am very relaxed, and still groggy. This is when I entered sleep paralysis, i think?

Suddenly i heard a woman singing. it was a beautiful voice, and lasted only for a few seconds. Then something hit my bed near my feet, like someone gently slapped the bed covers. I wasn't scared at this point. My whole body went heavy, and I couldnt move. I thought to myself "oh my god, it happened. I'm dreaming." A loud ringing noise suddenly started, and my ears felt like they were deep underwater. I repeatedly told myself it wasn't real, and that I was safe. The ringing stopped. I felt relieved, then it started again. I started to feel fear.

Out of anxiety, i started moving my hands and feet to wake myself up. My body still felt very heavy, and moving was very difficult. I opened my eyes a few times, but became scared of what i might see, so i left them closed. ( they would periodically open and close anyway). I started to panic. i could barely move, and i started trying to call out to my roommate to come wake me up. I couldn't make any noise.

I decide to try to roll off of my bed, hoping the shock would wake me up. With great difficulty, i managed to move enough to roll myself off of my bed. Now on my back beside my bed, I am waving my hands and feet (in a very feeble fashion, kind of like a tired baby?) and still couldnt make any sounds. I was very scared at this point, and felt as if I was having trouble breathing (i wasn't).

My eyes opened fully. I am in bed, and have not moved. I am pretty freaked out but also excited. I feel the sensation of paralysis coming back, so I move around a bit to prevent it, and get up a few minutes later to do another paper.

What do you think? Lucid dreaming or a nightmare?

taniaaust1

Re: First lucid? Or just a nightmare?

Postby taniaaust1 » 18 Apr 2015 18:13

It would of been a lucid dream had you become aware you were dreaming but though you were mentally aware you missed that you were dreaming. That's an issue with sleep paralyses people often do not become aware when they start dreaming and then miss out on having a LD.

Instead it become a nightmare as it was a dream but not a LD.

A loud ringing noise suddenly started, and my ears felt like they were deep underwater.

At this point you probably should of started to use the experience to help get you into a LD (to move from the paralyses state). If you'd strongly gone to thinking you were deep underwater and using that feel, you probably would of found yourself deep under water in a dream.

i could barely move, and i started trying to call out to my roommate to come wake me up. I couldn't make any noise.

I decide to try to roll off of my bed, hoping the shock would wake me up.

That was a big beginners mistake seeing you did that trying to wake up. Rolling or summersaulting is a common way to get from sleep paralyses into a dream, its usually used to take one deeper into dreaming as it helps disconnect from ones physical body. So you were doing the very opposite to what you wanted to do :lol:

You did what needed to be done to have a LD but you got confused and then confused dream state with reality.

To get out of sleep paralyses, focus on wiggling one finger or one toe so to put the full concentration on moving that. It may take all your effort to do that.

I strongly recommend to rather face whatever you fear with these experiences then try to wake yourself up as you risk otherwise causing horrible false awakenings (nightmares in which you believe you are awake as your normal mind is). Your fears can create horrible experiences and the best way around this is to go ahead and try to face them, not facing them now could make them build up more for next time.

When you also are getting scared and deciding then not to do this after trying, its also sending a negative message to your subconsciousness over how you feel about LD, its sending a message that you do not really be doing LD (which could make it harder to have a LD. The subconsciousness sometimes helps people have LDs).

I suggest to get determined to face fears which come up next time.

and felt as if I was having trouble breathing

Your own fear around it created in your dream the situation in which you had breathing issues. It was directly caused by your fear. I suggest to control your thinking and hence also your emotions so you can have a nice LD.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”