mirrors in lucid dream

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
hanscastrop

mirrors in lucid dream

Postby hanscastrop » 29 Mar 2017 17:36

Hello to everyone!

This is my first post so maybe I should tell a little about my self. I am experiencing obe and lucid dreaming since 17 years now. I never practiced it, learned the terms after some years of experience, after having some computer with internet connection :) I am 32 years old now and reading and researching about the subject since ten years I guess, but not really intensively, because sometimes I am getting tired of my own experiences. I tried to put some distance with the subject as I couldn't find helpful information for my case but rather techniques to reach the point. But it just happens to me, quite often, almost everytime I take a power nap in the afternoon. At nights or in the morning too, but afternoon naps is like "ok what is going to happen today" for me. I am a musician and phd candidate who works almost everytime at home. So my sleep time is not very fix, sometimes I work late at night or divide my sleep into short periods of 2 hours in 24 hour in order to use the time and creativity/concentration more efficently. After this necessary short info, I would like to ask for analysis/comments/ideas on my latest experience, since it seems to have a different nature from my previous ones.

I go to my bed for a power nap in the afternoon in the atelier/studio room (which I don't have anymore) but don't get in the bed, just lie on it. There were actual mirrors in this room that I rent from a friend for some months to finish some projects. Before I went for a power nap I was working. The bed is across the mirrors on the wall, so one can see her/him self lying. On the other side there is a window where one can see the sky. I was facing the sky side, since I enjoy the clouds more than mirrors before I start to sleep. I guess after some minutes I closed my eyes and the well known sensation of leaving my own body has started. I thought "ok, no chance to escape again, just let it happen". And I leave and stay in the room on the air and turn towards mirrors. In the mirror I see the reflection of my astral body and the physical body lying on the bed. My hair is a little longer and I am wearing a very old pullover that I don't own anymore. Then the reflection of the astral body splits into two and the walls change place. The bottom comes to the top. left goes to the right and vice versa. I am also familiar with this "objects or walls changing place" thing during lucid dreams and obes. I didn't get scared of non of the things happened except the splitting reflection in the mirror. The second "self" in the mirror started to walk away, deeper into the mirror and I get scared of this multiple selves acting differently. So I decided to wake up, as a usual technique, tried to move my finger but could not achieve. So I tried to move anypart of my body to wake up, put an immense energy to wake up. Normally I achieve this with moving my finger quite fast. But it took a while this time, I had to try hard to wake up. In the end I moved my head and woke up in a funny position, half of my upper body downwards outside the bed. Then it also took a while to really wake up, I felt deasy and sleepy for almost an hour afterwards. I had to fight with my self not to fall back again to sleep.

So obviously the experience was not over and I cut it with the fear. I never interacted with the mirrors before even if I had mirrors in my previous rooms too. This experience has for sure some meaning but I don't see it I guess because of some self-protection mechanism. I tried to make a research on mirrors and self-reflection in lucid dreams and obes but could not get any information on similar splitting reflexions experience. I could not find any written similar experience from the first hand. I find some dream interpretations about mirrors and seeing double self reflexions in the mirror but they were not saying anything more than things like "it is something about you" or "it means you are going to die". Maybe I should refer to my first lucid dream here at that point because it has some common patterns: I was in my own funeral, on another planet and there were four of my self. I know it is on another planet because there was three moon in the sky. First self was dead and carried in shoulders of a group in a wooden grave, second was walking with the crowd, third was watching above from the sky and fourth was this dream self, you know, the self that sees everything with a general camera look and says: This is a dream. I was around 14 when it happened and after that around 17 I started to have intensive obes and lucid dreams. I regret I did not have a dream book, I never noticed that it is something unusual until I had internet in my twenties. But I still remember almost each of them and can recall similar patterns, themes, events, animals, environments etc...

I believe this dream has a connection with my first lucid dream and probably is a paradigm change but I don't understand. I appreciate any idea and interest.

Thanks for your time in advance.

lucidé

Re: mirrors in lucid dream

Postby lucidé » 29 Mar 2017 21:18

That's pretty typical for a dream or a lucid dream. For the room to change shape in a mirror when you look inside of it. Often many lucid dreamers will use looking inside of a mirror as a form of reality check. If you look at your reflection long enough in a dream/lucid dream and haven't had a lot of experience with dreams or lucid dreams, then there's a good chance you will see a change in the environment you would not normally see in real life. This is an excellent way for beginners to experiment with reality checking in their dreams, and become aware (lucid dreaming) in their dreams.
Also I wouldn't worry about you splitting into 2 people too much in your reflection in your dream. Dreams don't have to mean much of anything, they are just dreams. If dreams were going to kill you anytime soon, I probably would have died from lucid dreaming from so many years of doing it.
BTW, I sometimes look into the mirror in some of my WILDs where I am flying around my house as well, and I see absolutely no reflection of myself, but I do see a reflection of my clone. It's even a perfect reflection of my room.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 30 Mar 2017 02:29

I think mirrors in dreams may -
- act like a magic portal into other realms of experience
- or show us different, unrealized aspects of ourselves
- or they sometimes represent an abstract, metaphorical symbol for the pure essence of awareness, which reflects life experiences but is itself infinite and unchanging.

I suggest the following articles - about dream mirrors and multiple, probable selves.

- Lucid Dreaming Experience Magazine - dreaminglucid.com - Sept. 2013 - vol. 2, no.2
Several article about dream mirrors

- Shaman's Mirrors - shamansmirrors.weebly.com
Excerpt - From section about Buddhist mirrors (Melong) -
"Your mind is like the mirror, in itself empty, but it will reflect everything that is exposed to it without changing, because it has no judgement or attachment on what it reflects."

- Electric Dreams - Lucid Laboratory - by Lucy Gillis - improverse.com
(Excerpt from Lucid Dream Exchange)
She describes dreams about a hall of mirrors, and also, parallel reality and multiple selves.

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 30 Mar 2017 03:05

I often have false awakenings which trigger my lucid dreams. Well one time, I thought I woke up but realized I was dreaming. I became lucid and decided I wanted to see what I looked like in the mirror. Jesus Christ, I was horrified. Completely naked, my body was green with extremely large hands and a baby's head instead of mine.
Good luck,
Dream on.

Petal

Postby Petal » 30 Mar 2017 11:25

I would guess you prefer freedom to introspection by which way you choose to face out looking out at the clouds moving. Sky being a metaphor for intelligent freedom of thought. Im not sure I know much about mirrors in dreams, I do often play about with mirrors when I do become lucid. If I'm having a conscious out of body experience, which in my case are more often not, inadvertent and involuntary, I often think "oh well, might as well go and look at myself" in the down stairs mirror on my way out the house. I fine generally I look better and younger than I do in real life. It's as if I see myself as I'd like to be.
When I was involuntarily astral projecting as a young teenager, (I have no other way of describing my early out of body experience. Although I am starting to question what those experiences were and if my consciousness can completely split from the physical) I did experience seeing my own "ghost hands" pulling me back into my physical body. As I struggled, unaware I was out of my physical, to go tell my mum in another room I was having a nightmare, my room would twist and turn about so I would end up staring down at my body before it pulled me back in. I didn't particularly like the changes in my body at that time, which could be an explanation why I had got out of it. I also used to feel a sensation as if my sheets were slipping off me and then found an explanation, about it being when energy of the etheric body splits from the physical body or shift as conscious states shift in sleep. (Again I am questioning my beliefs on this)
I've seen myself split into three stages of the hag, the Maiden, the Mother, and the Crone, before now in a lucid dream. I did note, my hair was longer in all three stages that it was in reality. Hair is a symbol of self image and sexuality. To have longer hair means a feeling of empowerment and freedom. I personally took my dream to express what I thought of myself, as someone who flys around at night like as witch might. It was also a dream about maturing and me questioning my life aspirations.
Interpretation of dreams have to considered personal associations before general symbolism to have any true and useful credence. Saying that, may be you should look at and think about the numerology of your dreams. If your astral body splits in two, then perhaps your dream is about shifting balance or the balance of your two life interests running off in two directions. I'm no expert but the number two also can represent fairness like the two side of the scales of justice. Four is meant to be a stabilising number. Other obvious dream symbols you mentioned, are the old woolly jumper that's usually about comfort, funerals mean endings, graves a way of coping with loss and being on a different planet seems to suggest a complete change of prospective. Moons, mirrors and reflections are all associated with emotions and the element of water in elemental magic, maybe a leaning towards the feminine too. I still say you have a preference for the elemental associations of air though. Moving objects or walls could be about your shifting ideas about things. If you were napping after an intensive learning and/or creative session you could have radically understood stuff in a new way. That kind of mental big shift would also make you tired and unable to free yourself from a sleeping state. Whenever, I feel like that, instead of trying to wake up, I try to go deeper in to a proper state of sleep to give my mind a proper rest and to recuperate.
In Fung Chi the use of mirrors in bedrooms are discouraged because they are said to disturb sleep. The surface is said to refract and distort chi (energy) direction as it does light. See http://openspacesfengshui.com/feng-shui-tips/2009/12/feng-shui-mirror-in-bedroom/ for more info. I do believe the arrangement of furniture and such can have an effect on the feeling of a room. If you spend a lot of time in one room and it not arranged comfortably it can have a psychologic effect that could if not recognised in time physical health. One of the reasons I left my old job was because I found the old poorly consider building depressing. Certainly mirrors that reflect sunlight in strong beams can be discomforting as well as being a fire hazard. Refracted light after a long time of concentration would give some people headaches. I have colleagues who are sensitive to bright lights and we have to close curtains and such so they can concentrate in training sessions. I do always make sure that I can not see my reflection in a mirror while in bed, or meditating or doing any kind of reading. Seeing myself does distract me from any kind of quiet inward focusing.
Anyhow, Kind Regards. I hope to see you about...

Petal

Postby Petal » 30 Mar 2017 11:37

DreamerMan99 wrote: Jesus Christ, I was horrified. Completely naked, my body was green with extremely large hands and a baby's head instead of mine.

:mrgreen: Sorry, had to laugh. I'm sure our minds have an evil sense of humour and generate stuff just to freak us out. I once dreamed I was a giant squid monster with three heads. I was horrified too, as soon as I realised I was dreaming, I sent a mini me on a raft to tell myself to pull myself together. It had nothing to do with mirrors though. Dare you to look again and wish you luck. :twisted:
Anyhow, Kind Regards. I hope to see you about...

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 30 Mar 2017 17:42

Petal wrote:When I was involuntarily astral projecting as a young teenager, (I have no other way of describing my early out of body experience. Although I am starting to question what those experiences were and if my consciousness can completely split from the physical) I did experience seeing my own "ghost hands" pulling me back into my physical body. As I struggled, unaware I was out of my physical, to go tell my mum in another room I was having a nightmare, my room would twist and turn about so I would end up staring down at my body before it pulled me back in. I didn't particularly like the changes in my body at that time, which could be an explanation why I had got out of it. I also used to feel a sensation as if my sheets were slipping off me and then found an explanation, about it being when energy of the etheric body splits from the physical body or shift as conscious states shift in sleep. (Again I am questioning my beliefs on this)

If you are questioning your beliefs on what you were doing, I am almost certain you probably were just entering a dream of some sort. You were probably just inducing the Wake Induced technique, and not really realizing that's what you were doing. Premature forms of the WI(L)D form can result in the user unable to control their dream body as well as they would like to and various side effects of the SP sensation even when the user can somewhat control their dream body.
When I was a teenager, I started having peculiar dreams as well (WILDs), and didn't really know what was going on as well (it made it more confusing when I would dream about things that were currently happening, like with the correct Pokemon card). I didn't know the term lucid dreaming back then either, but I did find friends who had dreams like mine and were aware of them as well, so we explored into it together.

I don't see that mirrors are a problem in lucid dreams. My sensei has mirrors in the dojo where I practice the martial arts. They just don't have windows. I've had accidental lucid dreams in that dojo when they had me meditate in there, and it didn't affect me at all in a bad way. I just was unable to see my reflection in that mirror in my lucid dream in that dojo (I did see the reflection of my clone).
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 31 Mar 2017 12:50

lucidé wrote:
Petal wrote:When I was involuntarily astral projecting as a young teenager, (I have no other way of describing my early out of body experience. Although I am starting to question what those experiences were and if my consciousness can completely split from the physical) I did experience seeing my own "ghost hands" pulling me back into my physical body. As I struggled, unaware I was out of my physical, to go tell my mum in another room I was having a nightmare, my room would twist and turn about so I would end up staring down at my body before it pulled me back in. I didn't particularly like the changes in my body at that time, which could be an explanation why I had got out of it. I also used to feel a sensation as if my sheets were slipping off me and then found an explanation, about it being when energy of the etheric body splits from the physical body or shift as conscious states shift in sleep. (Again I am questioning my beliefs on this)

If you are questioning your beliefs on what you were doing, I am almost certain you probably were just entering a dream of some sort. You were probably just inducing the Wake Induced technique, and not really realizing that's what you were doing. Premature forms of the WI(L)D form can result in the user unable to control their dream body as well as they would like to and various side effects of the SP sensation even when the user can somewhat control their dream body.
When I was a teenager, I started having peculiar dreams as well (WILDs), and didn't really know what was going on as well (it made it more confusing when I would dream about things that were currently happening, like with the correct Pokemon card). I didn't know the term lucid dreaming back then either, but I did find friends who had dreams like mine and were aware of them as well, so we explored into it together.

I don't see that mirrors are a problem in lucid dreams. My sensei has mirrors in the dojo where I practice the martial arts. They just don't have windows. I've had accidental lucid dreams in that dojo when they had me meditate in there, and it didn't affect me at all in a bad way. I just was unable to see my reflection in that mirror in my lucid dream in that dojo (I did see the reflection of my clone).

What do you mean by clone?
Good luck,
Dream on.

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 31 Mar 2017 16:16

DreamerMan99 wrote:
What do you mean by clone?

Cloning
From Wikipedia: Human cloning is the creation of a genetically identical copy of a human. Definition of a clone: an individual grown from a single somatic cell or cell nucleus and genetically identical to it.

At the beginning of some of my WILDs, I sometimes split myself like a cell, and create an exact copy of myself using an a super ability known as replication (http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Replication). And here's a nice superpower definition of what I am doing on this website as well:

(Demi-cellular Division: This form of replication results in the affected subject "splitting", much like a cell, into physical organic clones indefinitely depending on available resources. This form generally causes all clones to lack a autonomous intelligence, instead being a unit in a collective "hivemind", each clone being just one "cell" of a unified consciousness (usually that of the subject). This form benefits because if the "original" subject dies, a clone can take their place as the central point of the hivemind making the subject technically immortal as long as there is sufficient copies to take their place. If a clone is separated from the the hivemind then it can work with the autonomy and intelligence of an average human, acting as just a simple clone. This form of replications downsides dwell in the fact that the clones only possess the strength of the original and thus is only effective on a large scale (ex. army size), and the clones, being solid organic matter, cannot be made to just vanished, but can only be made to be reabsorbed. )

By definition, this is referred to as cloning. In lucid dreaming, call an ability whatever you want, but I call a super ability in my lucid dreams as I want it to be. Most often, the clone acts as a motionless dummy to any characters in the area so I can sneak off and enjoy my lucid dream. I am sure I probably didn't necessarily need to "clone" myself during the MILD I had during my medical procedure or while I was sleeping in class, but it makes the lucid dream make way more sense if I clone myself, and let the clone be the fill in.

Look, if you don't understand, I am phobic of turning into a ghost. When it comes to lucid dreaming, you are completely free to imagine you are doing anything you want, and it does NOT have to involve turning into a ghost. There are a huge number of super abilities that can take the place of this if you decide in your lucid dreams that's what you rather have.

hanscastrop

Postby hanscastrop » 02 Apr 2017 17:17

Thanks to everyone who had insterest and shared knowledge! I will reply to some points, check the literature you gave then sometime later come back to topic I guess.

lucidé wrote:That's pretty typical for a dream or a lucid dream. For the room to change shape in a mirror when you look inside of it. Often many lucid dreamers will use looking inside of a mirror as a form of reality check. If you look at your reflection long enough in a dream/lucid dream and haven't had a lot of experience with dreams or lucid dreams, then there's a good chance you will see a change in the environment you would not normally see in real life. This is an excellent way for beginners to experiment with reality checking in their dreams, and become aware (lucid dreaming) in their dreams.
Also I wouldn't worry about you splitting into 2 people too much in your reflection in your dream. Dreams don't have to mean much of anything, they are just dreams. If dreams were going to kill you anytime soon, I probably would have died from lucid dreaming from so many years of doing it.
BTW, I sometimes look into the mirror in some of my WILDs where I am flying around my house as well, and I see absolutely no reflection of myself, but I do see a reflection of my clone. It's even a perfect reflection of my room.

I have experience; I don't think that is a some kind of way to become aware for me. I was aware before I faced the mirror. As I said before, I also do not experiment with this ability. I didn't practise.

I don't worry neither, I just want to know more about it. I also don't believe dreams are just dreams, they always mean something, if not a purge to subconscious, but anyhow they always have a function and I want to understand this mechanism. I am not sure if the WILD is the right think to do for this aim. But thanks for sharing your experience, it is interesting.

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”