First Lucid dream last night - history of chronic sleep paralysis

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
jenniferever

First Lucid dream last night - history of chronic sleep paralysis

Postby jenniferever » 24 Jun 2017 20:01

I wanted to give a little background first that I suffer from chronic sleep paralysis since age 12, as well as nightmares on a regular basis.
I have read on forums how to lucid dream with no success, this was about 3 years ago. Since then I had given up. Last night this happened:

I woke up in a bed that was covered in a grey-blue comforter. When I sat up, I walked across the wooden floor, and could hear my footsteps, I became aware if all the sudden that the air and atmosphere was 'actual' - as real as reality. My thoughts were as though I were awake. I remember my first thoughts were 'no way this is happening, am I trapped here?' So I went over to the comforter and shook it. I could feel the fabric and hear it shake, it was real. I began to freak out, kind of just standing there. It was a victorian style room/house I was in, the room was very large and walls high, and window with curtains was across the room with blue curtains, and it was night outside. The air felt very still and quiet, except when I could hear my footsteps walking on the wood. I sort of freaked out then calmed down after realizing I was 'really here.'
So I walked through the door and down the hallway.
There were people in another room talking but I didn't interact, I just walked past into another room and laid on a bed in there. I remember thinking: Is this lucid dreaming? This is really bizarre, but this is kind of boring.'
I remember other people on forums had written how they 'created' this great adventure or whatever, I had always envisioned those things and thought great when this finally happens (since I had such a history of sleep disorder problems) it will be really fun and exciting.
But after I laid down in the second bed (it felt like 30 min had elapsed, like I was laying a long time, kind of afraid of never 'waking up') I woke up in another bed in another house. The dream lost it's 'lucidness' almost instantly, and it became a 'dream.'
When I woke up from the dream to my alarm, I was in complete shock that this happened, and it was quickly fading from my memory, the 30 minute feeling of being lucid, and how it was kind of scary and bizarre, and not really fun. It was more like being stuck in the beginning of one of my nightmares.

Sorry for the rant. My questions to those who do this a lot, or have a lot of experience:
If this happens again, is there a way for me to instantly wake up if it gets to weird?
Isn't this suppose to be fun, am I doing something wrong? Does this take experience?
In your opinion, is this a freak event, or can I duplicate this happening somehow?

Thanks in advance, extremely freaked out. -Jen.

Sean Jacobs

Re: First Lucid dream last night - history of chronic sleep paralysis

Postby Sean Jacobs » 05 Aug 2017 02:25

Hi Jen. In my opinion you had an extremely low level lucid dream. There are levels of lucidity. I go on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being I vaguely realize I am dreaming and 10 being I am fully aware I am lucid dreaming and have complete god like control over everything. The highest level I've had was a 6 or 7.

If you want to wake up quickly you can try closing your eyes and saying out loud "WAKE UP!" This has worked for me in the past. However Instead of trying to wake up, you can focus on your dream. Stop and engage your senses; what do you see and in how much detail, what do you hear, what do you feel (pick up an object and feel it), what do you smell. Then say out loud, "I'm dreaming and I have complete control of my dream"...and really believe it. Once you gain some control lucid dreaming can be a lot of fun.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 05 Aug 2017 03:09

I agree with Sean. These "stuck" dreams can often happen if you're half awake and sleeping in past what you normally sleep to. Let's say I wake up a few times and sleep past my alarm, I often get similar stuck feelings. Just keep trying, lucid dreaming isn't easy but it is so gratifying when you attain your first bout of godlike control.
Good luck,
Dream on.

jenniferever

Postby jenniferever » 06 Aug 2017 03:15

Thanks for the reply. I haven't had any recurrence of even that 'stuck' dream, which was really amazing, I can only imagine what a full blown episode would be like. I did some thinking and I'm pretty sure I became lucid that night because I had just stopped taking a sleeping medication, Doxipin, which inhibits acetycholine. It got me thinking of trying out choline. Anyone had any luck with this or other supplements?

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 06 Aug 2017 05:23

Most substances have a negative effect. Diphenhydramine, classic opiates, marijuana, caffeine, alcohol, etc. all impair your ability to effectively recall dreams.
I've heard reports of vivid dreams by smoking a few leaves of coleus blumei, which is something I'd like to try. Mexican dream herb is often cited on here, but I've never had any benefit from it when I tried it. It's largely anecdotal.
I've tried a lot of herbs that have been claimed to promote dreaming and had no noticeable effect.
Certain perscription drugs can cause vivid dreams but most people can't get their hands on them without breaking the law!
Good luck,
Dream on.

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”