MIRRORS!

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
tea

MIRRORS!

Postby tea » 26 Mar 2013 16:32

hi there!

just like hands and clocks mirrors seem to have their own minds in dreams. the strangest things can happen, even by just looking at them - let alone using them as a portal.

i opened this thread since i'd love a neat collection of experiences people had with mirrors. rebecca has covered this topic pretty well right here: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/the-mirror-experiment.html

at one point in this article she talks about how she had problems reaching through the mirror and that's where i'll begin with my story:

i'm in a giant bathroom with many basins. as i walk closer to the sinks i notice the big mirror, that's taking up the whole wall. i decide to use it as a portal but as i'm trying to stick my hand through it, my fingers hit solid glass. i remember reading rebecca's experience when she had trouble doing the same thing but i somehow also thought to remember that her hand got stuck and she's to this day still trying to get it out (which of course is not true).
so i try something else. i had this idea once while awake and luckily it just came to my mind: i get very close to the mirror and gently start blowing air at it. for some seconds nothing happens but as i increase blowing-power, the mirror's surface starts getting rippled - just like water or very liquid mercury!
i feel joy as my trick really worked out that easy and i give it a last strong blow to form bigger waves. then i take a step back and look at this wobbling surface or reflections. i'm not sure but it seems as if behind the distorted image of the bathroom and myself, a different landscape keeps shining through here and there. so i decide to finally do it. i take another step back and then dive with all my power into the liquid mirror.

i'm very curious what you guys have to say about mirrors.
also: if anyone has trouble using a mirror as a portal and decides to use the technique i described above, please share your experience here as i'm dying to hear how this works out for other people!

tasty dreams☮
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

Highlander

Re: MIRRORS!

Postby Highlander » 26 Mar 2013 18:15

I had many experiences with mirrors. It's becoming common in my dreams. I've posted some of my experiences here.
I talked to my reflected self, i saw me 20 years older, as an "evil me", as a character (with face painting and strange clothes), i used mirrors as portals... It's been pretty easy for me to pass through mirrors.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 27 Mar 2013 00:02

Ive no idea why but I actually have an irrational? fear of mirrors other then using them in real life for normal stuff. Thou I have meditated looking at mirrors while watching ones face change into others. I did have one meditation experience which scared me a bit at the time.. I ended up not knowing which was was me (I must of astrally projected some of my energy into the image so I was feeling like I was both mes and hence didnt know which way to move to move away from the mirror to break the experience.. eg if the wrong me moved backwards.. I the other me then would be moving forward.. and into the mirror as i was experiencing being in both at once with the same degree of connection to both mes. (I thou think I had the fear over mirrors thou long before I scared myself in that way and had the confusion of my physical body with an image experience).

Maybe I have past life imprinting (my fear is nothing over anything I remember happening in a mirror this life) as there are many beliefs over mirrors eg some beliefs cover mirrors when a person dies as they believe a soul can get lost and hence trapped in a mirror world.

I guess one day I may work on this fear of mine in regards to mirrors or try to find out why I have it. There must be some reason.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 27 Mar 2013 01:34

Had my first lucid dream with mirrors around 2 months ago. Here's my earlier post:

I was inside of a building and checked my hands: saw the usual missing fingers, changing number, etc. but had the doubts, as I am never 100% sure. Told a few people that I was dreaming, and asked what I should do with them in a dream. I kept noticing people with technology, strange cell phones, cameras, but none of it did anything except to have all kinds of little things that you could pop in and out, then back in if you were lucky. Often they would only pop out. Everyone seemed to have a movie camera, including me. I didn’t even know how to turn it on and it didn’t work. Every time I popped something out, it wouldn’t go back in. Then someone was sitting at a table and I asked if these things work in dreams. She let me try hers and had the same issues. I even tried interchanging parts with mine and no luck. Someone takes me by the hand and says come with me. The woman is around 40 years old, short with red hair. She seemed sort of familiar and I ask the woman how long has it been since I’ve seen her. She says it’s been 6 months though I don’t remember. The visuals kept going dark/black and white, but I kept telling myself to keep going, sure that they would come back and they always did. I would just keep walking around. This must have happened 10 or 15 times during the dream. Occasionally would rub my hands which helped, but waiting always worked. The woman took down some stairs and into a bedroom with an entire wall mirror. I looked in the mirror and freaked out when I saw a completely detailed color view of someone else with brown hair, big tear-drop glasses tinted brown, looked right out of the 70s, really weird! Just an amazing amount of detail and color. I was so shocked by this that I felt myself being pushed back into the wall looking at it, but moving away from it. It was so freaky, the detail was incredibly perfect. I ran out and found someone else but couldn’t find my way back. “Take me back to that room with the mirror, I asked, you have to see this!” He took me back, but then I looked again and at first the image was dark, then I saw a different person. I tried to notice details this time: I stared into these bright blue eyes, light complexion, young face with braces, (there’s even an orange part) someone says. The mouth got distorted when I really started examining the face and black started to appear around the mouth. I am so excited and tell the DC in the room with me “What we are seeing in the mirror is not the real person. We are seeing something else. Every time you look, it's someone else. You never know what you are going to see when you look into a mirror.” He agrees with me, like “of course and didn’t you know?” :?
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

tea

Postby tea » 27 Mar 2013 17:56

lucidinthe sky wrote:“What we are seeing in the mirror is not the real person. We are seeing something else. Every time you look, it's someone else. You never know what you are going to see when you look into a mirror.” He agrees with me, like “of course and didn’t you know?” :?

:D pretty philosophical!

thanks for sharing!
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

Inner Effect

Postby Inner Effect » 09 Apr 2013 20:52

My 1st lucid dream involved mirrors, before I became fully lucid I was dreaming in a semi lucid state with some control over my actions but not full awareness I was dreaming. I was washing my face with water and soap at a sink, I look in the mirror and can see a distorted reflection of something next to me in the reflection, it was like a floating shape of some kind of entity. I looked around and saw nothing next to me, splashing water in my face I look in the mirror again and my view snaps into sharp focus, I can see details of my eyes, the soap on my face and water dripping down into the sink. I splash more water and my reflection distorts with a skewed perspective just above my eyes across my forehead, I observe this distorted reflection from different angles which then triggers me into full dream awareness, the excitement quickly wakes me up though. I've been wondering what these distorted reflections represent, is it just an effect of the dream world or do they represent something more about my psyche?
More about Lucid Dreaming on my blog - http://innereffect.wordpress.com/

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 11 Apr 2013 08:17

Inner Effect wrote: I've been wondering what these distorted reflections represent, is it just an effect of the dream world or do they represent something more about my psyche?

I guess in real life we all have distorted impressions of ourselves as we never really know every part of ourselves. (maybe that is why the looking at ones hand reality check works so well, it could symbolise never knowing ourselves fully)

fistania

Postby fistania » 18 Apr 2013 12:02

i once posted about my mirror experiment, but seeing this thread i want to share it again :p just copied and pasted…

from dream journal entry of 17/12/2011

i have two main goals that night: to go to 'my secret garden' (fictional place where i enhance my visualization skill), and to do mirror experiment. my first goal didn't go so well, so i proceed to my 2nd goal. i went to my sister's room (i think it was dark) and sit in front of her study table and look at the mirror there.

the result was freaky, my face looked crooked. my left eye was pretty much normal, while my right eye is only half Image like this, but in the shape of eye. the iris was also much bigger as well, not to mention the location of this right eye was slightly above the normal location. my lips was also distorted, where the right-half was bent and bigger. my face was unequally crooked, and it's not 'half normal-half freaky', like perhaps my face posture was bent on the left or something.

i don't really remember, but the journal says "it was really ugly and scary". oh right, i then asked my sister besides me why was my face like that, and she provided meaningless answer (maybe. if i said so it's probably really irrelevant). then i looked back at the mirror and my right eye was not half anymore. but it became bigger and more absurd.

----

one thing i remember the most after having that dream is that for 3-4 days after, i'm really scared of seeing my reflection in the mirror because in my belief, mirror in dream reflects our inner self, like how crooked my personality was+how i think of my personality.

well i tried to be a better person after that dream though, like being nicer to my surroundings, or do something that's more beneficial, so that the next time i do this experiment i wouldn't see such a scary sight anymore.

i haven't done it again actually. seriously. i'd rather see freaky creatures and try to stop and ask them than seeing my reflection. especially when i'm in the phase of rejecting some part of myself.

well that was 2 years ago so i'm kinda curious of how i'll see myself in the mirror now.

tea

Postby tea » 18 Apr 2013 14:49

awesome, thanks for the report fistania! :D

yeah, i, too, am very curious for what you would see now...
make sure to tell us!

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 24 Apr 2013 03:29

thanks for sharing fistania. I hope you do it again and share with us your results.

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”