Woke myself up from my nightmare!

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
Dreamgal

Woke myself up from my nightmare!

Postby Dreamgal » 19 May 2011 01:55

I had a really long nightmare last night about being chased by a werewolf wearing clothes! He was really evil and I wanted to get away so badly, we were running through buildings and streets but eventually he pounced on me and I felt his claws digging into my back and it HURT!!!! I dont know if it was the pain or something else but I remembered then to shoult 'wake up!!!!!' in my dream and I suddenly woke up. :D

That's the first time thats happened to me, it didn't feel like a lucid dream but the fact that I was able to shout 'wake up' is a step in the right direction?? It was a really crappy nightmare but I do feel empowered that i was able to wake myself up before it got even worse.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Re: Woke myself up from my nightmare!

Postby Rebecca » 26 May 2011 01:35

Congrats! This is a really good start. It's how both Pete and I started becoming lucid when we were younger. I had quite a few nightmares in my teens and I could just scream "WAKE UP!" and open and close my eyes repeatedly. It was a huge relief and empowering knowing I could stop my own nightmares.

I don't remember where I learned this technique or whether it's just instinctive when you realize you're having a nightmare.... but it really works. And yes, it is a flash of lucidity, because you a) realize you're dreaming and b) consciously control your actions in the dream. So you could really say you've have your first lucid dream, even if it only lasted a second. :D

Anyway it bodes well... So next time, instead of waking yourself up, see if you can remain calm and take control of the situation. Perhaps shout "STOP!" to the nightmare figure and expect them to back off and wither away. Usually the moment your confront a nightmare figure, their scariness immediately drains away. Then you can pursue a much more pleasant dream!

Dreamgal

Postby Dreamgal » 29 May 2011 00:24

Thanks Rebecca!!! I read about this somewhere online and to be honest it just felt instinctive to shout out and wake myself up when I realised this thing was about to kill me! It is nice to know I might be able to do it again especially if it means having a lucid dream. I cant wait for that to happen!! :mrgreen:

Jonathan

Postby Jonathan » 01 Jun 2011 04:12

One technique is to turn around to the monster chasing you and say, "Hey, instead of being a jerk, why don't you give me a gift?" -- and see what happens!

Isn't it weird/cool how you can literally feel pain in a dream? It's not as harsh as real pain, thankfully, but the sensation is definitely there. I remember a dream back when I was 14 or so where I was kissing a girl and it actually felt very real.

Return to “Sleep Disorders”