sleep paralysis

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
CunningStunt

sleep paralysis

Postby CunningStunt » 21 Mar 2012 21:35

The first time I remember this happening to me I was just a child. I had lost a tooth and was staying up late to witness the tooth fairy for myself, (a friend at school had claimed to see it.) After hearing my mother get out of bed and head to the bathroom I rolled onto my back and closed my eyes, pretending to sleep. When she was done in the bathroom my mom stopped outside my room, I could hear her feet on our wood floor, "are you alseep?" she wispered. I gave up my act and said no. She told me the tooth fairy wouldn't come if I was awake and that I'd better get to sleep. I heard her get back into bed, it was a large and noisy bed.
Only moments later I felt as if there was someone in my room and opened my eyes to see an UGLY old woman standing in my doorway, almost peeking from the side of my door. She was just there... Staring at me. I was so scared I couldn't even call for help. I remember thinking if that was the tooth fairy then I never wanted to lose a tooth again! My mother told me it was probably just my eyes playing tricks on me.
The next time I saw something strange it was when I was a little older. I have always had trouble sleeping and fear of the dark and this night was no exception. I remember how quiet the house was at night and how bored I was that night... I sat up a bit in bed, leaning against my pillows and out of NO WHERE this tall, black figure walked out of my mothers room and into our bathroom, no light came on and the door remained open. I thought maybe it was my dad and hoping for some attention I hopped out of my bed and ran to the bathroom, flicked on the light and... Nothing. There was no one in there!! Since these two times I have had many an encounter with these two figures. Sometimes it's like sleep paralysis, where I can't move and can hardly breath. Sometimes I actually see them again, coming and going from my room(many different rooms as I move quite a lot) like they friggin live with me or something! Now I know other people see these same figures, which has me torn on what I believe in... Who or what are these things/people???

Axalto

Re: sleep paralysis

Postby Axalto » 21 Mar 2012 22:24

They are electrical pulses fired from the part of your brain that is your unconscious. The figures aren't real and only exist in your unconscious and visual imaging processing centers.
"Once you fix something, they'll forever reagard you as Computer Genious. If it reaches this point you're pretty much screwed." -The Oatmeal

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 30 Mar 2012 10:01

Atheist view-they're just dreams.

Traditional Christian view- They're demons who have become your familiars aka they're haunting you.

Buddhist view- they're illusions caused by your own negative emotions that you may overcome by letting go of negative emotions like fear.

Moslem view- they're Djinn who are haunting you.

Skeptical view- there is not enough data to say what they are and it would be very hard to come up with an experiment to know what they are.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Sibley

Postby Sibley » 09 Apr 2012 11:44

I read your post care fully . I suggest to check out this problem from a reasonable and expert doctor .
I hope in this way your problem will be easily solve.
Sibley

lalitadi

Postby lalitadi » 12 Apr 2012 10:19

What could cause hind leg paralysis in a dog? My friends dog woke up this morning and could not walk on her hind legs. We've checked for ticks and found none and there has been no trauma. What else could cause this kind of paralysis?

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 19 Apr 2012 09:56

lalitadi wrote:What could cause hind leg paralysis in a dog? My friends dog woke up this morning and could not walk on her hind legs. We've checked for ticks and found none and there has been no trauma. What else could cause this kind of paralysis?

You really need to check this out with a vet. That said diabetes with neuropathy could cause temporary paralysis. It could also be cause by simple muscle cramps, e.g. I get very bad charlie horses and wake screaming several times a year during the cold months. I have to spend several minutes curling by toes up and rubbing the muscle just to get the muscle to relax enough that I'm just in a low level of pain. I normally takes me at least 15 minutes before I can stand on the leg.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

WildCat23

Postby WildCat23 » 16 Jun 2012 22:37

Snaggle wrote:Atheist view-they're just dreams.

Traditional Christian view- They're demons who have become your familiars aka they're haunting you.

Buddhist view- they're illusions caused by your own negative emotions that you may overcome by letting go of negative emotions like fear.

Moslem view- they're Djinn who are haunting you.

Skeptical view- there is not enough data to say what they are and it would be very hard to come up with an experiment to know what they are.

Lucid Dreamers' View - Regardless of what religion you are (Or aren't) there illusions caused by sleep paralysis.
"I wandered home though the silent streets
And fell into a fitful sleep
Escape to realms beyond the night
Dream can't you show me the light? "
~2112

spook

Postby spook » 11 Aug 2012 12:01

Hi
I've had similar experiences with sleep paralysis all my life and like you for years had no idea that this was so common. I find it occurs only every so many years which is really frustrating now. When I was young I found it scary but now I know what it is I find myself waiting for it to happen and it could be a very long wait. I've experienced what is called the shadow, the old hag sitting on your chest amongst other things but I've never managed to lucid dream through it. I also find that I only experience hypnopompic images never while going from awake to sleep and I've never been able to face the shadow figure and confront him/it. Still waiting for the next episode.

blazing

Postby blazing » 23 Aug 2012 18:03

lalitadi wrote:What could cause hind leg paralysis in a dog? My friends dog woke up this morning and could not walk on her hind legs. We've checked for ticks and found none and there has been no trauma. What else could cause this kind of paralysis?

I'm friken scared now :(

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 22 Jul 2013 10:46

During my first sleep paralysis I thought I died. I couldn't breath or move or even open my eyes. It was all so dark even though it happened to me in the middle of the day.

As for your problem it could go either way. On the scientific side it's your mind playing tricks on you. Whilst on the mystical side, a side I believe in dearly. That thing could be real and you might have been the first to see it.

Return to “Sleep Disorders”