Hypnagogia

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
Velathari

Hypnagogia

Postby Velathari » 24 Jul 2013 22:04

So I have been diagnosed with a sleep disorder called hypnagogia. My LD sometimes converts into hypnagogia at the end, and is a rather enjoyable experience but as an affect of hypnagogia, my memory is reduced and my cognative function is increased. It is said that hypnagogia can also cause minor amnesia do to this effect.
My history in regards to memory is at the age of 14, I had a moderate level of photographic memory. I could remember a page, with the words on it and the number in the bottom right corner. I began having insomnia and my memory decreased. From the ages of 16-18, I never really needed to remember anything, but noticed that my memory was no longer as effective. From 18 to now(22) my memory is to a point that I randomly don't know things, have incredibly difficulty recalling anything once it is gone. I have become heavily dependant on writing things down to remember them. I usually can't remember what it is, but if I run through my notes I can find it rather quickly. If I don't write it down, I don't remember it. I have discussed this with my provider, but feel that this would be a good conversation starter.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
                BBCode is slightly dissapointing.
                I can't play with it as much.

torakrubik

Re: Hypnagogia

Postby torakrubik » 24 Jul 2013 22:33

I don't think hypnogogia is linked to your memory problems. Hypnogogia isn't a sleep disorder - it's a common process that almost everybody experiences as they fall asleep: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/hypnagogic-state.html
Dreaming is my drug

vadajai

Postby vadajai » 25 Jul 2013 23:25

I also have hypnagogia i dont know anyone else who has this but i have a photographic memory to and i have a hard time remembering certain stuff not like you do it might just be normal not to remember stuff like i do but i have add also which might make that worse im still trying to learn more about this sleep disorder but i find it interesting that you think memory loss might correlate

Velathari

Postby Velathari » 26 Jul 2013 22:18

So, reading the link you posted on here seems very very inaccurate to me. They seem to try to narrow it down very much to just the images you see when you focus on behind your eyes. I don't know any other name for that sight but when I play around with that, I see red leaves that gradually change colors a bunch, sometimes end up painfully bright or turn into spiraling. An interesting point on this, is go swinging for like 20 minutes on a swingset, lay down and let yourself do this. It feels like you are swinging super super fast while laying down. Kinda neat, but I feel is unrelated.

Via Wiki:
A feature that hypnagogia shares with other stages of sleep is amnesia. But this is a selective forgetfulness, affecting the hippocampal memory system, which is responsible for episodic or autobiographical memory, rather than the neocortical memory system, responsible for semantic memory.[9] It has been suggested that hypnagogia and REM sleep help in the consolidation of semantic memory,[42] but the evidence for this has been disputed.[43] For example, suppression of REM sleep due to antidepressants and lesions to the brainstem has not been found to produce detrimental effects on cognition.

Many other references, including my physicians books refer to hypnagogia as a state of limbo between asleep and awake where your body stops recieving your nervous signals, but is or becomes awake and aware. The link you gave me started out somewhat accurate but redirected and pinpointed it to something I feel is inaccurate. The second portion of that page IS something that should have a title or descriptive term of its own though.

A few pages in changes the content again and goes down the right path and has my slightly skeptical towards the content on the page you linked me.

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/exploring-your-hypnagogia.html

It still feels a bit off and seems like an individual experience commentary, but does have good detail. The experiences I have with sleep study and experience myself seems a bit distant and inaccurate in portions.

Regardless, I still really enjoy this websites content and am still concidering paying for the package. I practice lucid dreaming avidly, create things out of the epiphanies I get and have no difficulty with it, but I am still interested in her perspective.
                BBCode is slightly dissapointing.
                I can't play with it as much.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 08 Aug 2013 02:20

OMG ... *facepalm*
Hypnagogia is not, in any way, a disorder. Hypnagogia refers to the hallucinations that you experience when you go to sleep or shut your eyes.

Close your eyes right now.
What do you see?

You might see shapes of color, dots ... if you wait long enough you might see faces or fully-formed pictures. Its the makeup of dreamscapes.
Well said.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 15 Aug 2013 03:36

I have been diagnosed with a sleep disorder called hypnagogia.

Hypnagogia itself is not a sleep disorder, it thou can be one of the "symptoms" of other sleep disorders eg Narcolepsy.

Hypnogogia is a quite normal state which many get as they go from sleep to wake or visa versa. It is a transitional state.

Via Wiki:
A feature that hypnagogia shares with other stages of sleep is amnesia. But this is a selective forgetfulness, affecting the hippocampal memory system, which is responsible for episodic or autobiographical memory, rather than the neocortical memory system, responsible for semantic memory.[9] It has been suggested that hypnagogia and REM sleep help in the consolidation of semantic memory,[42] but the evidence for this has been disputed.[43] For example, suppression of REM sleep due to antidepressants and lesions to the brainstem has not been found to produce detrimental effects on cognition.

Many other references, including my physicians books refer to hypnagogia as a state of limbo between asleep and awake where your body stops recieving your nervous signals, but is or becomes awake and aware.

The impared memory which can happen between sleep and wake, isnt something abnormal just like most loose their waking conscious self memory when we are asleep.

All hypnagogia is is the state between sleep and awake and a person shouldnt be getting this imparing them, including the memory issues it can cause, at other times unless they have a medical disorder eg Narcolepsy.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Stormrush

Postby Stormrush » 04 Dec 2014 22:50

Can you experience Hypnagogia Hallucinations whilst awake ( and i am def awake as not been asleep yet ). i get into bed, place my head on the Pillow, look up at the ceiling and i always see Spiders ALWAYS, i used to be scared and run out the room, lol, now i just follow them and they fade away.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 23 Dec 2014 23:15

Stormrush wrote:Can you experience Hypnagogia Hallucinations whilst awake ( and i am def awake as not been asleep yet ). i get into bed, place my head on the Pillow, look up at the ceiling and i always see Spiders ALWAYS, i used to be scared and run out the room, lol, now i just follow them and they fade away.

Yes, think of it as being a bit similar to day dreaming but just a bit more intenser.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “Sleep Disorders”