Tips on falling asleep faster?

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
astrovineyard

Re: Tips on falling asleep faster?

Postby astrovineyard » 09 Jul 2015 15:18

I've found that attempting to lucid dream has INCREASED how long it takes me to fall asleep (by a factor of 3 or more!), and even has led to weeks of and/or intermittent sleepless nights (insomnia). And even more depressing is that I haven't even gotten to any lucid dreams to show for my efforts and suffering.

I find that merely being in the frame of mind to be receptive to LD makes me too expectant, anxious and vigilant, and this keeps me awake longer. You can't blame me for "not trying had enough" because MORE effort would just seem to make things worse for me. So now I just try things once every few weeks or so (with no luck) when I feel I've been back on the track to somewhat decent sleep.

A year ago I fell asleep fast, slept great and throughout the night. And I was "bored" thinking I should be having lucid dreams or at least more interesting epic or vivid ones like I used to. NOW I just wish I could return to being a champion sleeper!

Scarlett12

Postby Scarlett12 » 07 Apr 2016 12:12

If you wake up in the night and can’t get back to sleep within 15 minutes or so, get out of bed and do an activity that requires your hands and your head, like a jigsaw puzzle or a coloring book, says Richard Wiseman, professor for the Public Understanding of Psychology at the University if Hertfordshire and author of Night School: Wake up to the power of sleep. Stay away from the TV and digital screens, whose blue light has been proven to suppress melatonin, a sleep-inducing hormone.

saileigh

Postby saileigh » 15 Jul 2016 01:42

I've been stressed out with some health problems recently and don't fall asleep sometimes until 1/2 am (really unusual for me). My naturopath suggested I try taking passionflower (in liquid form) to calm me down, and it helps with the stress and actually puts me out within 30min to an hour. Calms my brain and body down enough that I end up just wanting to sleep, and do, comfortably.

metalclay

Postby metalclay » 22 Aug 2016 07:19

Same time each day – Start your sleep time routine in the meantime every day and keep up a normal rest time.
Attempt a shower – Take a hot shower before sleep time.
Mitigating drink – Herbal tea or a glass of milk additionally unwind the body and help you slow down.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 22 Aug 2016 16:08

Sleeping pills. :mrgreen:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 Sep 2016 08:53

Knife wrote:Masturbate.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 19 Sep 2016 11:33

Yeah ... masturbation is even better. 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Knife

Postby Knife » 07 Oct 2016 15:15

HAGART wrote:
Knife wrote:Masturbate.

OUT WITH THE TABOOS
Inherit the earth

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 09 Oct 2016 23:52

I liked that one, and admit I do that too when I give up trying to sleep.
It's nature's Ambien.

Yea, it seems taboo, and I was a bit shy to admit that, but why should anyone be?

In my dream journal I even take note of the times I use that method to go to sleep, so I can review it later in case it has affected my dreams either in content or having a deeper sleep. I never did look back to see a correlation, though, but it's there. I use a code word though. I write, "after WBTB I relaXed and went back to sleep", so nobody in my family reading it will know.

(But now, all of you know and the entire internet! :D )
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 13 Oct 2016 08:11

HAGART wrote:I relaXed and went back to sleep", so nobody in my family reading it will know.

Now on WikiLeaks :mrgreen:

Return to “Sleep Disorders”