DOES WEARING ORANGE GLASSES BEFORE BED HELP SLEEP?

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
jasmine2

DOES WEARING ORANGE GLASSES BEFORE BED HELP SLEEP?

Postby jasmine2 » 11 Apr 2015 03:37

I have heard several reports that electronic screens which use LED lighting (smart phones, tablets, etc.) emit blue light, which mimics daylight, and interferes with the body's natural evening production of melatonin, which helps control the circadian sleep-wake cycle.
Some TVs or other monitors may partially use LEDs for back lighting.

I recently read that wearing orange/amber tinted sunglasses (blue-blockers) for 1/2 hour to 3 hours before bedtime can block the blue screen light and produces drowsiness and improved sleep. Yellow lenses only block ultraviolet.

See articles -
- "Why I Wear Orange Sun Glasses At Night" - wellnessmama.com -
Article includes recomendations for orange/amber (blue-blocker) sun glasses.
Also - f.lux computer software to reduce blue in computer screen
Comments about night shift workers and people who work surrounded by many computer monitors
Tesla watch - said to "ground" EMF frequencies (??)

(I agree with many but not all of Katie's nutrition ideas, in her other articles. I prefer - drfuhrman.com)

See many interesting comments to Katie's orange sun glasses article. I had never heard of amber-tinted salt lamps before. (See Amazon - "Household Salt Lamps") - They use a 15 to 25 watt bulb. I have no idea if the heat from bulbs causes these salt chunks to emit "healthy" negative ions.
- Caution - some comments said the salt lamps attract moisture, which drips on furniture and on the electrical bulb socket - hazardous.

- Article - "Can Orange Glasses Help You Sleep Better?" - New York Times - April 7, 2015
Includes discussion about the blue-blocker glasses, similar to Katie's article.
Also mentions new - GE AM and PM light bulbs (expensive - about $30)
- Amazon - GE AM Bulbs (have bluish tint) for wakefulness, GE PM bulbs - Orange/peachy tint, like a camp fire or candle glow, to induce sleep.

Some user comments say these Am - Pm bulbs also may help mood control, even for people with OCD.

-jasmine2

taniaaust1

Re: DOES WEARING ORANGE GLASSES BEFORE BED HELP SLEEP?

Postby taniaaust1 » 12 Apr 2015 15:24

I know in the CFS forums where almost everyone gets insomnia that a couple of them have said they were these glasses and they helped the sleep (I think it was that colour, it was for what you said re the light coming from computers).

[/ I had never heard of amber-tinted salt lamps before. (See Amazon - "Household Salt Lamps") - They use a 15 to 25 watt bulb. I have no idea if the heat from bulbs causes these salt chunks to emit "healthy" negative ions.
- Caution - some comments said the salt lamps attract moisture, which drips on furniture and on the electrical bulb socket - hazardous.

:shock: looks like I wont ever get one of those then. I seen an amber tinted salt lamp before and thought it was pretty and almost brought it.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 28 Dec 2015 03:11

New types of LED Light Bulbs use selected parts of the light spectrum to stimulate either sleepiness (more amber light), or wakefulness (more blue light). See -

- Article - "Lighting Science Group Launches Pioneering Sleepy Baby LED Lamp - reuters.com

- Article - "High-Tech Lights To Kelp Baby Sleep, Or Students Stay Alert" - nytimes.com -

Vendors for "Sleepy Baby Bulb" - (Cost - about $25 to $30. This bulb can be used with a dimmer.)

- Amazon
- Home Depot (online)

- Lighting Science Group - lsgc.com
Click Tab "Biological" - (several types of specialty bulbs)

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 28 Dec 2015 03:22

Oops, in my above post, I meant to type "to Help babies ...". However, "Kelp Babies" might actually be an interesting new species of mermaids, or perhaps helpful aliens, who will save the Earth.

jasmine2

Nickfan40

Postby Nickfan40 » 02 Jun 2017 15:42

I've worn red glasses before bed before; I was trying to see if they would mimic the Novadreamer. Sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn't. When I'd see red in my dreams, I knew I was lucid and try to do something in my dream.

Once, before bed, I was looking at pictures of old time actor Herbert Lom; I was wearing red tinted glasses while on the computer. That night, I dreamed he was in my living room. I was kissing him and could feel it! I would have gone further, but my mother was in the room! :lol:

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 05 Jun 2017 02:36

Download "f.lux", it tints everything a shade of amber on your monitor.
Good luck,
Dream on.

Return to “Sleep Disorders”