Urinating Dreams and Bedwetting

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
astrovineyard

Urinating Dreams and Bedwetting

Postby astrovineyard » 02 Jun 2015 04:22

I am not sure if this goes in the sleep disorder or non-lucid dream thread, but here goes:

I am sure most of you have dreamed of urinating, either in a toilet or elsewhere. I was just wondering if and how these may relate in any way to lucid dreaming and dream control.

In my case I've had several dreams that seemed pretty realistic where I am urinating, sometimes in odd circumstances, but usually in a toilet - albeit one that is not as private as I'd like or is out of order or in some huge bathroom stall maze... and at some point amid a quite powerful and relieving stream I might wake up, and be relieved to be dry! Then I'll either get up to go for real or determine that I did not have to go. I had such a dream a few nights ago.

Only a few times did I have dreams like this and I - gasp - woke up within a second or two to discover that I had actually BEGUN to urinate, but luckily stopped automatically as soon as I woke up. In at least one of those cases I did not have to go when I got up, so I was perplexed at just how I was able to muster a few tablespoons of urine from an otherwise empty bladder while sleeping. Very strange, a but upsetting, but a relief that it was not worse. Oh, and I noticed that in these incidents when I urinated in a dream it tended to be on a tree or a wall somewhere. Not sure how that would make a difference in whether I urinated for real or not.

The only time (since diapers) that I can remember actually wetting the bed (a full soaking, I mean) is when I was about 8 years old - a freak accident. Oddly, despite having urinated completely, I remembered NO dream in that instance!

So what is the correlation between what we dream and what our bodies actually do in the case of bedwetting?

SgtPepper

Re: Urinating Dreams and Bedwetting

Postby SgtPepper » 06 Jun 2015 02:48

I've experienced the same thing, but it is more common with a full bladder. For example. I drank a lot of Pepsi last night. In one of my dreams, I walked into a bathroom. But I walked out, and didn't even use the urinalpissing. But I have a feeling that if I had pissed in the dream, then I would have pissed in real life. Anyways, it seems like your brain may have been sending a signal, telling your bladder that you needed to release some urine (of course, your brain was lying because it' can be an asshole sometimes). Then it tricks you into thinking that you are in a bathroom. Like "ah, I'm in the bathroom (or some comfortable place to urinate), now I can drain the weasel.". As embarrassing as it is, I must admit that last year I pissed the bed (when I was 18). Most people make it out to be a little kid thing, but sometimes it just happens.

astrovineyard

Postby astrovineyard » 08 Jun 2015 04:40

Did you wet the bed FULLY or wake up a few seconds after you had begun to pee, like I do?

I have woken up with a really full bladder and then got up to go, but have also dreamed of peeing full force with great relief an woke up shocked (and relieved) that I was dry.

But like I said the few times it happened to me yielded only 2-3 seconds of urination, hardly a "full" bladder. I don't think I can even go when awake such a small amount. So, how does it start if it is not full, and if it is full, then how am I able to stop it before I even realize what is happening?

Nickfan40

Postby Nickfan40 » 01 Jul 2015 17:07

I had some like that when I was a kid; I was 18 when I stopped wetting the bed! It was August 12, 1993. I was going to be the maid of honor at my sister's wedding the next night. I guess some of it is stress that causes people to wet the bed.

My sister had a dream that she was in labor and her water broke. When she woke up, she found out that she had wet the bed. She even got her husband wet! She was never able to have children, though!

ShahdaeKW

Postby ShahdaeKW » 07 Dec 2016 03:05

astrovineyard wrote:I am not sure if this goes in the sleep disorder or non-lucid dream thread, but here goes:

I am sure most of you have dreamed of urinating, either in a toilet or elsewhere. I was just wondering if and how these may relate in any way to lucid dreaming and dream control.

In my case I've had several dreams that seemed pretty realistic where I am urinating, sometimes in odd circumstances, but usually in a toilet - albeit one that is not as private as I'd like or is out of order or in some huge bathroom stall maze... and at some point amid a quite powerful and relieving stream I might wake up, and be relieved to be dry! Then I'll either get up to go for real or determine that I did not have to go. I had such a dream a few nights ago.

Only a few times did I have dreams like this and I - gasp - woke up within a second or two to discover that I had actually BEGUN to urinate, but luckily stopped automatically as soon as I woke up. In at least one of those cases I did not have to go when I got up, so I was perplexed at just how I was able to muster a few tablespoons of urine from an otherwise empty bladder while sleeping. Very strange, a but upsetting, but a relief that it was not worse. Oh, and I noticed that in these incidents when I urinated in a dream it tended to be on a tree or a wall somewhere. Not sure how that would make a difference in whether I urinated for real or not.

The only time (since diapers) that I can remember actually wetting the bed (a full soaking, I mean) is when I was about 8 years old - a freak accident. Oddly, despite having urinated completely, I remembered NO dream in that instance!

So what is the correlation between what we dream and what our bodies actually do in the case of bedwetting?

I only have those dreams when I didn't go to the bathroom in real life before bed, or when Im asleep and my bladder is full in real life and I have to go pee in real life.
May the intelligent beings of love smile upon your heart,
~Shahdae Williams~

Return to “Sleep Disorders”