Too scared to even close eyes

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
Notamritsaini

Too scared to even close eyes

Postby Notamritsaini » 14 Sep 2016 00:53

After reading all these sleep paralysis things and i also had it experienced twice I'm now too scare to even close my eyes when it's night. Help me

Summerlander

Re: Too scared to even close eyes

Postby Summerlander » 14 Sep 2016 13:55

I'll help you.

But first, tell me what you've read about sleep paralysis that scared you so much ...
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Notamritsaini

Postby Notamritsaini » 14 Sep 2016 17:06

Summerlander wrote:I'll help you.

But first, tell me what you've read about sleep paralysis that scared you so much ...

I have experienced it twice. One i saw a black shadow approaching me and once a red light and pain on chest. I want to learn lucid dream but they say first you have to pass the sleep paralysis test then you can luicid dream. I don't wanna experience it again. I didn't slept at night i waited till the sun rises and after then i felt safe and i slept

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 14 Sep 2016 21:21

You were misinformed. You don't have to experience sleep paralysis in order to lucid dream. SP is just something that can occur during induction. If it occurs, try not to panic, keep calm.

If it's too intense, because your amygdala is active and bound to give you an irrational fear, you can always shake it off and wake up.

But it's true that SP can provide a good opportunity to enter 'lucid dreamland'. The things you see and hear are just hallucinations, products of the same thing that generates lucid dreams---your brain.

The shadow and the red light are not things that objectively exist. In other words, they are not really out there in the world. They are part of you and can't harm you however scary or noxious they may seem.

They're like nightmares. Nightmares can also provide great lucid dream experiences---especially when you turn around to face the monster in a lucid state. You can ask the scary form what it represents and often it turns docile, giving you a profound sense of self-integration and happiness.

I'll leave you here with a quote that I'd like you to ponder on:

'There are no bad dreams.'

~Buddha
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 15 Sep 2016 22:40

I recommend website - dreamstudies.org - hosted by Ryan Hurd
Click tab - "Sleep paralysis" - about 20 articles on this subject
See especially - "9 Ways To Wake Up From Sleep Paralysis"
- The "ultimate method" - "Scrunch up your face, ... snarl and squint. Do this two or three times in a row and the sleep paralysis will break immediately."

Over the years, I learned that when I realize I'm experiencing sleep paralysis, even if I feel some "spooky presence" near me, nothing has ever hurt me when I'm in this half-sleeping/ half-waking state. I Just try to relax and breathe easily, and, pretty soon, I either drift into full dreaming, or I wake up completely.

Regarding any dark, scary, hynagogic being which might seem to be in the room, you can conjure up an image of a second self, who is very big and strong, and can growl and roar like thunder. Then image that this invincible self fights and scars away the "spook".

However, in a different approach - A couple of years ago, when I was in a hynagogic state, I sensed that a dark, dangerous, demon came over to my bed, pressed down on the mattress, and started growling in my ear. I was a little nervous, but actually felt more curious and amused. I mentally called out to him, "I love you!", and the "bad guy" instantly vanished. I woke up laughing and thought, "I've wanted to know what it felt like to encounter a real, Medieval, classical "demon", in dream land, so I finally met one, and it was so easy to break his spell!"

Return to “Sleep Disorders”