are you asleep in sleep paralysis?

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
Lucid Dreamer

are you asleep in sleep paralysis?

Postby Lucid Dreamer » 17 Sep 2012 21:46

Hello all. My mother the other night (well almost a month ago) had a lucid dream. she told me about it, but then she described to me about how alot of times when in bed, she will feel her arm , but not be able to move it. she says it really scares her but then she tries to tell herself that it is alright. the other day, (about a month ago) she asked me a couple of questions. i had alot myself actually. so. sleep paralysis is when you are asleep right? so you if can feel your physical body paralysed, how do you move onto an ld from there? i know that if you wiggle your fingers and toes, that will help. but does it wake you up entirely, or just push you into the dream state? when you are in sleep paralysis, is your mind in a dream state, or a physical knowing state, or fleeting between the two?

thank you! please respond!
"All men whilst they are awake are in one common world: but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own." ~Plutarch

Empyriel

Re: are you asleep in sleep paralysis?

Postby Empyriel » 27 Oct 2012 01:30

I have sleep paralysis fairly often and i believe i am asleep when this happens. But my eyes are open, because i can see the clock by my bed and observe the minutes passing by. When i awaken, i confirm that it was the time i saw.

But i believe i was asleep during the paralysis, because once i dreamed i saw my brother at the foot of the bed, just the top of his head. That would be impossible, because my brother lives 360 miles away. When i awoke, i found that what i had believed was the top of his head over the foot of my bed, was actually the light fixture on the ceiling. If i had been awake, i never would have believed that was my brother's head.

So apparently my mind is mixing visual cues from the real world with my dreaming consciousness, which is not rational. Also, the fact that i cannot move my body, indicates that i am asleep. So now, i don't worry or struggle to wake up, as i used to do. I just allow the dream to continue, and i hope i will be able to become truly lucid in the dream. I think this might involve closing my eyes, so the visual cues from my room don't lead me to believe that i'm already awake. Then i can enter the dream world fully while being lucid.

Lucid Dreamer

Re: are you asleep in sleep paralysis?

Postby Lucid Dreamer » 27 Oct 2012 01:51

thank you! this was helpful!
"All men whilst they are awake are in one common world: but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own." ~Plutarch

Return to “Sleep Disorders”