Do I have night terrors?

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
Hunts4dinos

Do I have night terrors?

Postby Hunts4dinos » 04 Jan 2013 00:54

About once a month, I wake up and there is spiders/chickens/other trying to crawl into my bed so I stand up on my bed and kick at them saying " BAD CHICKENS! BAD CHICKENS!" Or throw my blankets at them.

The thing is, there isn't actually invaders in my room.

I usually realize this a few minutes later. It's like I am dreaming and realize I'm dreaming... but I'm awake the whole time. So if someoNe was watching me, I am spazzing out at invisible enemies. Is this some kind of "false" awakening or night terrors?

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

Gunslinger19

Re: Do I have night terrors?

Postby Gunslinger19 » 05 Feb 2013 05:57

Definitely sounds like a night terror to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_terror

I've only ever had one of these. And it was definitely terrible. I kicked over a coffee table and yelled so loud I woke up everybody in the house and was COVERED in a cold sweat. Hope this helps!
So much you did; So much you did and so much more you would have done, aye, and all without a check or qualm, and so will the world end, I think, a victim of love rather than hate. For love's ever been the more destructive weapon, sure.

sindaRa

Postby sindaRa » 08 Feb 2013 20:41

Read my post, your experience sounds very familiar... http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3272

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 17 Feb 2013 11:16

My daughter used to get night terrors.. actually to the point where she'd be out of bed, in a corner of her room, trying to fend something off. The fear on her face was quite shocking to see and I never could bring here out of one of those incidences via shaking her (I guess she then just thought I was part of the whole attack).

She ended up one time running throu the house and into a window and having it smash all over her face (leaving her with little cuts). I ended up having to put a book shelf across where the window was.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 18 Feb 2013 05:33

Hunts4dinos wrote:About once a month, I wake up and there is spiders/chickens/other trying to crawl into my bed so I stand up on my bed and kick at them saying " BAD CHICKENS! BAD CHICKENS!" Or throw my blankets at them.

The thing is, there isn't actually invaders in my room.

I usually realize this a few minutes later. It's like I am dreaming and realize I'm dreaming... but I'm awake the whole time. So if someoNe was watching me, I am spazzing out at invisible enemies. Is this some kind of "false" awakening or night terrors?

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

Yup, that's a night terror. I've been getting them every since I was young... a long while ago I began to just get used to it when it happens. It happens MUCH less now-a-days, but my fiance knows of it and gently lets me know that there's nothing there and all is fine. I "wake up" fairly quickly.

It's kind of reverse dreaming... in that, you're not fully consciously awake and aware... yet it's occurring in this physical reality. Your mind is still "creating" from the dream.

I have never really figured out how to "cure" it... I think it's more a state of mind problem than something to be cured. You just kind of have to learn to live with it. When it happens to me, I just shrug it off and go back to sleep now. Hardly phases me anymore.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Feb 2013 02:32

If its happening to a child... most just end up growing out of having night terrors.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

oliverclay

Postby oliverclay » 25 Feb 2013 07:14

Gunslinger19 wrote:Definitely sounds like a night terror to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_terror

I've only ever had one of these. And it was definitely terrible. I kicked over a coffee table and yelled so loud I woke up everybody in the house and was COVERED in a cold sweat. Hope this helps!

You are right, it is night terrors, after reading your shared article it’s clear that this guy have same problem.

Je-Je

Postby Je-Je » 05 Apr 2013 17:08

I already have the same, i was dreaming of a snake who was in a cave, and the snake was trying to bite me, and he bite me on the stomach, and i woke up and thought that the snake was still on me that i have take off my T-Shirt and watch my stomach to know where the snake bite me, then i realise that it was just a nighmare.
I discovered Lucid Dream by watching the film Inception(2012)
Lucid Dream Count: 31+
Normal Dream Count: +∞
Objective: Make 30 Lucid-Dreams this year(2016).

alissa

Postby alissa » 13 Apr 2013 14:47

Do night terrors always have to be super scary? Because once when I was little, I was awake, (at least I think... I was at least in an exact replica of my room) and I sat up, and saw this... Creature. He was kind of transparent, and he looked a little like squidward with a bigger head (except I had never seen spongebob in my life), plus he was turquoise with purple polka dots. I was mildly alarmed, because it was very realistic. He just stood next to my bed, looking at me. I think he was tall, and he was transparent, but glowed. Would this be a night terror?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
“All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.” -Edgar Allan Poe

Are you dreaming?

Je-Je

Postby Je-Je » 13 Apr 2013 15:58

alissa wrote:Do night terrors always have to be super scary? Because once when I was little, I was awake, (at least I think... I was at least in an exact replica of my room) and I sat up, and saw this... Creature. He was kind of transparent, and he looked a little like squidward with a bigger head (except I had never seen spongebob in my life), plus he was turquoise with purple polka dots. I was mildly alarmed, because it was very realistic. He just stood next to my bed, looking at me. I think he was tall, and he was transparent, but glowed. Would this be a night terror?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I dont think. A night terror is when you do a nightmarre and wake up and dont realise it was a nighmarre and continue to fight for nothing. When i was 14, i was making a lot of night terror, because that year i was very stress for the exem which would allow me to go in high school(In France we must passe 'le Brevet' to go in high school, i dont know if in other country is like that)

For you, it look more like a sleep paralysis.
I discovered Lucid Dream by watching the film Inception(2012)
Lucid Dream Count: 31+
Normal Dream Count: +∞
Objective: Make 30 Lucid-Dreams this year(2016).

Return to “Sleep Disorders”