advices for a light sleeper?

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
neverlandjulia

advices for a light sleeper?

Postby neverlandjulia » 24 Mar 2013 10:16

Hi,
I would like to ask you guys if you know what can I do when I'm a light sleeper, which causes me to forget most of the dreams I have and because of it, it's really hard for me to perform LD methods (I've never had even single one LD and I'm trying for about 2 weeks). The thing is, that even though I take melatonin (3 mg), almost everything can wake me up, like my neighbours from upstairs walking, people entering the staircase or even hunger or need to go to the bathroom. And these are usually so strong I HAVE TO get up and eat something / go to the bathroom and I can't focus on remembering my dream in MILD or just staying awake in WILD... any suggestions?

taniaaust1

Re: advices for a light sleeper?

Postby taniaaust1 » 25 Mar 2013 10:31

Being a light sleeper I dont think is connected to lack of dream recall (I could be wrong but this is what Ive so far observed). Some light sleepers actually find it 'easier" to remember their dreams due to being a light sleeper. I know I remember mine better when Ive only been light sleeping and not deeply asleep.

almost everything can wake me up, like my neighbours from upstairs walking, people entering the staircase or even hunger or need to go to the bathroom. And these are usually so strong I HAVE TO get up and eat something / go to the bathroom

It could be a case of you needing to learn to ignore things and retrain yourself. eg I know people when they first start meditating.. every little sound or feeling eg an itch or thought can distract them. They over time with practice learn to ignore these things. With meditation the more you pay attention to those things eg Im thirsty now, I have to scratch etc etc.. the more and more interuptions can be happening in your head and the less able one is to be able to meditate well.

Maybe your light sleep is like that? Are you the same if you tried to meditate? (if yes.. maybe learning to meditate better would also help you in learning how to sleep better). You need to be strong enough to be able to say "no" I do not need to do that right at this moment.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

neverlandjulia

Postby neverlandjulia » 25 Mar 2013 19:25

that's actually something nobody came up with before, it made me think! thank you!

Peter

Postby Peter » 26 Mar 2013 05:43

Try WBTB and use earplugs.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Hypnosnail

Postby Hypnosnail » 16 Apr 2013 03:55

I'm a very light sleeper too. I sleep in a hammock and if the room is quiet, I'll wake up just from my wife walking next to me on the carpet.

What helps me is a white noise generator. I downloaded an app to my Android phone called "relax and sleep". It has a bunch of different ambient sounds you can mix at different volumes. That gives my mind something to focus on when I'm falling asleep, and drowns out a lot of small sounds that would normally wake me up. It has a timer too, so when I wake up in the middle of the night, and I hear the sounds playing, my brain knows instantly that it's not time to get up yet.

My current mix is: "Corus Frogs", "Heavy Rain", and "Little Creek". Sometimes I'll add "Crickets" too.

I was planning on writing a program like this myself, but turns out someone beat me to it. Yay laziness!
Lucid Dream using hypnosis: From the Mikandi store, download the Hypnosnail App.

Return to “Sleep Disorders”