my ongoing night terrors

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
hatterwest

my ongoing night terrors

Postby hatterwest » 28 Mar 2013 13:36

Hey everyone I'm new to this forum and am keen to try out lucid dreaming to assist or prevent my random and sometimes often night terrors. I'm 24 and have been having random night terrors for as long as i can remember. They often occur if I'm stressed, uncomfortable in my surrounding or over-tired(which makes me more stressed/tired and the cycle continues..)

I often see dead people walking around the bedroom or giant snakes and or spiders.
I've seen an albino crocodile walking on the roof and a fluorescent snake slithering near my bed all in the same week. These are the bad ones.. where i wake up screaming and sweating a lot. Sometimes i get up and follow dead people around my room and sometimes through the house, but what i am seeing isn't my house, i can feel leaves under my feet and see trees, smell the burning skin of the person I'm following, i feel awake but then wake up crying because i don't know what's going on and why I'm standing in another room and not in my bed. But i can remember it clearly. I have seen a child sitting in a chair at my boyfriends house (no children live here) walked over to talk to him, realised what i was doing and got scared and ran away, the next morning i told our friend that also live here and he said he could hear a child laughing through the night?!
Sometimes i see people and I'll just sit up and watch them and randomly have conversations with them. My boyfriend sometimes finds this amusing. Other times he has to slowly calm me down and bring me back to a conscious state. A couple of times when i have woken up screaming i have grabbed him, and he can see/sense what i am scared of?

Other times i'll see weird animals and try and reach out and touch them.. again my boyfriend finds this amusing and sometimes plays along.

I was googling night terrors after listening to a podcast with Steve Volk who was talking about lucid dreaming and night terrors.

Anyone previously experienced this? still experiencing this? any help would be great!!

thanks!
Ashlea

tea

Re: my ongoing night terrors

Postby tea » 28 Mar 2013 18:04

hey there!

sounds like an other recently opened thread could help you: http://world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3546

☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 28 Mar 2013 22:55

Have you ever been lucid eg know you are dreaming at the time or that your physical body is still in bed, during any of these experiences?

If you can be lucid during these.. yes there is things you can then do whether they are dream experiences or with some things in the astral. Another could pick up your "dreams" (eg throu like subconscious telepathy) or could be sensing the astral. Just cause a couple of others are sensing something (if they havent made up stories to scare you) it doesnt mean the things are real thou they could be (it dont matter if they are "thought forms (things created by the mind) or astral level stuff, things can still be dealt with).

Spiders and astral parasites are very very common in the astral if one can see how negative emotional energy manifests ( eg Ive seen anger energy take on a spider form). Entities often appear as strange animals.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

hatterwest

Postby hatterwest » 29 Mar 2013 01:14

when ive been following people, i dont feel awake, or even like im dreaming, its just like its what im meant to do? i dont feel fear or anything until i become conscious, i have sat up in my bed before and looked into a mirror on the other side of the room and saw myself starring back at me, with a really evil look on my face, i dont remember what happened after that. I cant say that i have ever been lucid, unless the above is?
What is 'the astral'? i have spoken to so many different people, Drs, Neurologists, mediums, spiritual people. So much information is being given but its all making me so confused.
I have been suffocated before, by a 'character' within my terrors, i was gasping for air and my boyfriend couldnt wake me up out of it, something similar also happened last night, i woke up coz i couldnt breathe and ended up spewing due to the stress of it. I need to learn how to tell myself during a terror that its is just that, not real. i goto bed each night and i am too scared to goto sleep, i think 'happy thought' but its liek the devil on my shoulder throws the worst images possible in there, i Know its a mind thing, i just need to learn how to help myself instead of being scared all the time.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 29 Mar 2013 01:40

hatterwest wrote: i dont remember what happened after that. I cant say that i have ever been lucid, unless the above is?

Lucid is when you are actually AWAKE during a dream.. hence you know it is a dream and that you are dreaming. From what you've said it sounds like you havent been lucid during a dream. Try doing reality checks and the other recommendations at this site to see if you can start being aware in your dreams.

What is 'the astral'?

The astral is like an underlay to this physical reality (and other realities) but the energy form of it. The energy form of the physical. Everything in our current physical reality has an astral counter part. eg if you ever read of people having out of body experiences, those happen in the astral world with their astral bodies. (Alien abductions.. too happen in throu astral experiences.. people often confusing things and thinking they were physically abducted).

i have spoken to so many different people, Drs, Neurologists, mediums, spiritual people. So much information is being given but its all making me so confused.

:D Yes that would of been confusing.. each of those people have thier own "belief" systems even Drs who may think you are halluncinating or something like that.

I have been suffocated before, by a 'character' within my terrors, i was gasping for air and my boyfriend couldnt wake me up out of it, something similar also happened last night, i woke up coz i couldnt breathe

that does sound like very typical night terrors. My daughter used to get night terrors and I could never wake her up during them... she'd get out of bed and be acting the part of whatever she'd be dreaming while she was having these. eg One time she was in cowered in a corner of her bedroom trying to ward off an ape who she thought was going to eat her.

i am too scared to goto sleep, i think 'happy thought' but its liek the devil on my shoulder throws the worst images possible in there, i Know its a mind thing, i just need to learn how to help myself instead of being scared all the time.

I think if you could learn to LD it would help your case and help give you the dream control you need.

You also could regularly start practicing visualisation to try to reprogram yourself to face the beings in your dreams... eg spend 10-15 minutes once or twice a day imagining yourself fighting off and winning against those things you dream. After a while that idea should go into your subconsciousness eg imagine catching and bagging those snakes to get rid of them etc

Another thing you could do.. is every time you think of your horrid dreams in daily life.. say then to yourself at least twice "This cant harm me as its only a dream" After a while that thought will be programmed into you and hopefully you will think this too next time you have a bad dream and become lucid.

hatterwest

Postby hatterwest » 29 Mar 2013 02:09

you are very helpful!!

majority of the time i am petrified, but i dont know what of, i cant remember, they have no face or an image at all, how do i imagine something when i dont know what it looks like? can i just imagine what i think it would look like, as it is from my imagination anyway? I dont always see bad things, i see animals from time to time and i am able to get up and physically play with them, not in a dream.
I have an app on my phone that records me sleeping so when i wake up i know if i have done something.
Some things feel so real, how u can smell a persons burning flesh when u r following them? knowing i am inside my house but seeing and feeling otherwise? I have been told i am being 'visited' by people who havnt 'crossed over' and they dont know how to talk to me and i dont know how to listen, that why i am getting so scared. do you believe in this, or is it purely and literally in my head?
I am looking for a book by Steve Volk, i listened to him on a pod cast and his book teaches u how to LD. I am really looking forward to learning this and eventually having some fun

hatterwest

Postby hatterwest » 29 Mar 2013 02:14

also, i havnt seen snakes or spiders for a few years now, but they were all i was seeing for a while. Now its just... i dont know.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 30 Mar 2013 01:47

hatterwest wrote:also, i havnt seen snakes or spiders for a few years now, .

that's good (spiders can also be signs of psychic attacks)..

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 30 Mar 2013 02:06

hatterwest wrote:you are very helpful!!

majority of the time i am petrified, but i dont know what of, i cant remember, they have no face or an image at all, how do i imagine something when i dont know what it looks like? can i just imagine what i think it would look like, as it is from my imagination anyway?

You dont need to visually imagine if you dont have an image.. instead you can just "think" of yourself being strong against "the things" and standing up for yourself against them and winning and the confidence that then brings.

I dont always see bad things, i see animals from time to time and i am able to get up and physically play with them, not in a dream.

That's what I'd thought "may" of been going on and was trying to work out if it was or not. So you are not actually asleep? You've layed down and havent lost conscious awakeness, then become aware of things and hence got up and interacted with them?

What Im still trying to figure out (your posts have confused me) is when you are getting up to interact with these things.. are you mentally aware of your physical body still being in the bed still?

Are you at times also interacting with them with your physical body during daily life? eg really getting physically up and interacting? or interacting at other times during normal daily life? eg I once was at a healing/meditation group and those spiders... I was able to reach out and pick one up with my physical hands.. to my shock this spider then entered my hand chakra (energy system of the body and had its energy lodged in my hand and arm). I have some ability to interact with the astral in my daily life and while physical). We once at a student at a healing group suddenly become clairvoyant to the point where she could see them, she actually started crying in fright and fled from the class due to them. (My old teacher and his more advanced students can see these things any time).

During my waking life.. Ive had to try to shut my psychic/energetic awareness down at times as it all got too much for me (eg that spider incident left me feeling rather uncomfortable and stressed out .. I had it in me and couldnt get it back out myself.. I had to go to countless shamans and healers at times for help for the various things I experienced).. the merging of the astral and the physical words and having the awareness of both at once during daily life can be a real problem if one isnt ready to deal with it.

Im trying to work out EXACTLY what your experiences are.. lucid dreams, false awakenings or astral experiences/ psychic awareness so I can better advise as my advice would vary a bit depending on what they are. No matter which they are, you can have some control over the situation and the first thing is to not be scared of them and know you can be in control of the situation.

Some things feel so real, how u can smell a persons burning flesh when u r following them? knowing i am inside my house but seeing and feeling otherwise?

So you are experiencing being in two places at once? (that could be LD or psychic/astral). LD can feel just as real as real life.

It isnt unusual for spirits to have smells to them... eg burning flesh smell. The smells they give off too can sometimes let one know if they are a good spirit or bad so take care when it comes to things which dont smell nice. Someone giving off a burning flesh smell could be someone burnt in a fire or a bad spirit. (The psych ability to do with smell is called clairalience).

I have been told i am being 'visited' by people who havnt 'crossed over' and they dont know how to talk to me and i dont know how to listen, that why i am getting so scared. do you believe in this, or is it purely and literally in my head?

My youngest child had that issue (I dont know if she still does, she's learnt to hide her abilities). She was/is a natural medium which seemed to come along with her other natural abilities (in her case she can see auras too). It wasnt uncommon for her to scream while she was playing in her room and come running to me in tears as she just saw someone walk throu her wall.. in her case she often saw children.. battered children. She was like the boy in Sixth Sense (but that was before that movie was made). Some of the spirits she saw were aware of her while others werent.

There are some dangers too in this stuff so even if it does turn out that these things are real... dont take them on "face value" that they are who or what they say they are.. spirits need to be tested (evil does exist in this world too and can take on deceptive forms.. that being said.. you shouldnt fear it... most evil things can be defeated easily even if you have got their interest).

Hopefully with some discussion.. I can work out what you are probably experiencing to give you better advice on what to do.
Last edited by taniaaust1 on 31 Mar 2013 02:53, edited 1 time in total.

hatterwest

Postby hatterwest » 30 Mar 2013 06:51

What Im still trying to figure out (your posts have confused me) is when you are getting up to interact with these things.. are you mentally aware of your physical body still being in the bed still?

My physical body is up and playing,walking etc. i have never left my physical body in bed, so im not lucid dreaming, it can happen from 30mins of trying to goto sleep (so i havnt actually fallen asleep yet) and at any point during the night through any stage of sleep. Last night i went to the toilet and saw (what appeared to be) an outline of a child about 5 metres from my door, i didnt do anything but look at it then went back to bed, i am totally aware and physically up.

Are you at times also interacting with them with your physical body during daily life? eg really getting physically up and interacting? or interacting at other times during normal daily life?

During the day, absolutely nothing happens. it all all at night time, i have never meditated or anything to take me to a state to experience it during the day, we are looking into meditation to help me sleep.
False awakenings, im going to say i havnt experienced these as my physical body is always where i think it is lol, with the people i follow, and their smell.. they all go to the same place in my house, into my wardrobe although i do see things when i stay in other peoples homes aswell.

Sorry if im not answering your questions very well. Im still learning all the terms. There is a lot involved in this lol

Return to “Sleep Disorders”