Can't seem to get to sleep

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
DeltaV

Can't seem to get to sleep

Postby DeltaV » 20 May 2013 22:56

I usually go to bed really early, because it helps with my dream recall. However, I can't get to sleep properly anymore. I lie down, close my eyes, and for some reason can't get my mind to wander properly. I keep checking it, which keeps me out of my sleep, something I find very annoying.
How can this be solved?
You have bought a ticket for a train of thought heading for your wildest dreams. Choose your destination, and enjoy the ride!

Vonozar

Re: Can't seem to get to sleep

Postby Vonozar » 21 May 2013 21:18

I have the same problem. :/ I recently started using isochronic tones when I get in bed until I start feeling pretty tired and as if I'm about to fall asleep. It seems to be helping me, maybe it will help you. I also exercise a bit about an hour or an hour and a half before bed to help tire me out. I play upbeat music from my phone and dance around like a crazy person usually. XD But it tires me out after a bit. :)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Velathari

Re: Can't seem to get to sleep

Postby Velathari » 24 Jul 2013 21:13

Getting to sleep was my bane for the longest time. I have a history of chronic insomnia to include not falling asleep for 30 mins to 5 hours, waking up frequently, sometimes unable to fall back asleep. For a period of time, I only slept every three days, and crashed HARD. It slowly improved once my lifestyle started getting better, but never fully until I recieved behavioral health.

The trick I was taught, and which I firmly believe should be taught in elementary school due to how effective it is, is to inhale for 4 long seconds, and exhale for 8 long seconds. Practice this and shorten or lengthen your breaths until you are not gasping for air out of discomfort. Once you have it down, what you are doing is reducing your heart rate, and giving your body a slight reduction in oxygen to the brain which dulls the constant passive thought process. After awhile, you will wake up and not even realize you fell asleep. I have been medicated by almost every primary and secondary sleep med, and this is by far less expensive than medication to fall asleep. Staying asleep on the other hand is a different trial that I am currently battling due to other odd conditions. Lemmy know if this helps. :3

[ Post made via Android ] Image
                BBCode is slightly dissapointing.
                I can't play with it as much.

Return to “Sleep Disorders”