Why do YOU look for meanings in your dreams?

A place to share and analyze your dreams (lucid or otherwise) to better understand your dreams' subconscious symbolism.
torakrubik

Why do YOU look for meanings in your dreams?

Postby torakrubik » 25 Dec 2013 00:57

Dream interpretation is firmly ingrained in oneirological history. This is clear from historical evidence and research that can easily be found on the web.

Personally, on my journey I have found no reason to believe that dream events symbolically represent real life events. However, dream events can literally mimic real life ones (If you go to a theme park for a day there's a decent chance roller-coasters will feature in your dreams that night) and, in my opinion and to a certain degree vice versa (precognition (but that's another story, let's stick to the topic in hand)).

However, by the existence and activity of this forum it it clear that I am in a minority! So my question to you is, why do you see fit to interpret dream events and compare them symbolically to waking reality events?

I look forward to hearing your views :)
Dreaming is my drug

Peter

Re: Why do YOU look for meanings in your dreams?

Postby Peter » 27 Dec 2013 09:02

I dont look for meanings ever, I just can see the sense in it for a few reasons and one is that we only recall a very few of the dreams we have and they may not be the important ones and when I have a good night (my best is 13 dreams recalled) all vivid and interesting how would you work on sorting them out.

I have used dreams to sort out issues and solve problems but they were fully lucid dreams and I had a purpose so it was no different that having a think about something and working it out at anytime
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 27 Dec 2013 16:34

I guess that we want to know why we had that dream. It must mean something. But, as you said, it could be because it happened in real life and our dream is a representation of that event. And i think that one can only interpret one's dream. I don't find the point of asking another person to interpret my dream. Only i can find the meaning.
For example, in a recent dream i had, i was with a friend, lost in a school, trying to find a chemistry class. I tried to use my phone to call him but my phone didn't work.
Now, if i asked someone to interpret this, he/she might say things like: "Well, maybe it means that you want to go back to school but you don't know what to study, maybe chemistry, and you are still lost in your thoughts, etc etc."
Only i can interpret my dream. And i did. It was simple. That day i was watching an episode of Breaking Bad where the chemistry teacher and his student were lost in the desert and the teacher tried to phone home but the phone didn't work. Funny, huh?
Today i dreamt i was strongly arguing with a friend that i don't see for weeks. It's because i'm still mad at him.
So, i guess it's healthy to try to interpret our own dreams. It can mean something. Life events, worries, our state of mind...

Peter

Postby Peter » 27 Dec 2013 18:58

What you are describing is a very direct response and I agree that in those cases they are linked to some event but dont IMO they required any interpretation as the meaning is clear and link solid. I find there is around two days between some event in waking life and the link in the dream
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 27 Dec 2013 21:16

Peter wrote:I find there is around two days between some event in waking life and the link in the dream

I've noticed this too.
Our dreams are based on deep memories, not our short-term memory that keeps getting erased all the time. They come much deeper and it must take a few days for our life experience and thoughts to form a deep memory that is indelible. And dreams use memories as 'building blocks' to construct the environment.

On the other hand, I've had a few dreams that are based on a television show I was watching just before bed, when I was already starting to go into 'sleep-mode'. So that actually contradicts it.

But dreams that are based on deeper memories tend to feel like they have a lot more meaning. Those 'television' dreams are just our minds musing over our short-term memories. Meaning is always in the eye of the beholder and I can look at a cloud and see a crocodile while someone else see's a butterfly.

We should ask ourselves how we feel about the dream events and not logically try to interpret it. Sometimes we 'just know'! Dreams are based on emotions and memories in my opinion. Putting it into words to help us remember and share them with others is the best we can do, but they can be lost in translation.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Postby Peter » 28 Dec 2013 00:25

Same for short term events in dreams and they are normally associated with high emotion linked to an event and can be continuous from waking to sleeping or closely followed by a few hours

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 28 Dec 2013 00:49

Yea, it's emotion and memory that are the pilots of dreams in my opinion. If something I saw on TV created an emotional response in me, I will dream of it later sometimes.

No matter what, dreams and subconscious thoughts are based on memory and emotion, whether deep-seeded or fleeting-short-term-thoughts. When you close your eyes and let yourself go, it just happens, and we let it happen as if our dreams have a mind of their own, and it uses those to construct the dream. Then we wake up and try to make sense of it because we are the ego and we feel a need to explain and rationalize everything. Sometimes the ego is awoken within the dream and we are lucid with a sense of self and I have tried to find meaning in my dreams in real time as it's happening, but it's a lost cause. I just can't do it. Dreams are so irrational and it seems to make sense and things look familiar, but when I wake up I realize I was in a drunken dream stuper and my mind was in an altered state!

There is meaning, but it feels like it's a different language within myself and my two perspectives of it, ego and subconscious, don't see things the same way. But I still feel the need to find meaning in it.

Why? I don't know. I happen to love puzzles and seek meaning in the abstract and that's why I do it. But it's hard. But then again, if I stop thinking too hard and just feel it and just know what feels right it makes sense to me.

Peter

Postby Peter » 28 Dec 2013 07:07

No matter what, dreams and subconscious thoughts are based on memory and emotion

Thats fine for simple stuff but I feel at some level we move past this and start creating like we do when we get a new thought. The building blocks are there but original thoughts come in and when in void states its a new experience that needs new eyes to see it. I dont seek meaning as it is either very obvious or really why bother as if you do find meaning so what, does it really matter that much.

I do seek meaning about the dream but for the dream and not for daily life, two worlds why confuse them

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 28 Dec 2013 11:05

I read your response and will just let it all sink in and ponder this for a while.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 04 Jan 2014 08:46

torakrubik wrote:Dream interpretation is firmly ingrained in oneirological history. This is clear from historical evidence and research that can easily be found on the web.

Personally, on my journey I have found no reason to believe that dream events symbolically represent real life events. However, dream events can literally mimic real life ones (If you go to a theme park for a day there's a decent chance roller-coasters will feature in your dreams that night) and, in my opinion and to a certain degree vice versa (precognition (but that's another story, let's stick to the topic in hand)).

However, by the existence and activity of this forum it it clear that I am in a minority! So my question to you is, why do you see fit to interpret dream events and compare them symbolically to waking reality events?

I look forward to hearing your views :)

I deem dream analyses important for several reasons.

- I can analyse a dream and get new insights from it to which I can put onto my life or make sense of a life thing I couldnt do before. So to gain more life understanding.

- Im more creative when dreaming and even have dreamed up several inventions I could actually do (I'd love to do a couple of them and register them).

- Ive been seen future events in dreams. (Prophecy). On top of that, dreams can give us good warnings too. (I just responded to someones dream on one of the threads which I believe was a warning to her about what she is doing in real life). Via listening to dreams, they can help one stay out of trouble. My dreams help me to know if a family member is about to run into big trouble (thou sometimes its a feeling I get without an actual dream).

- I like to learn about our subconciousness and the best way to do that is throu dreams. Our subconciousness and knowing what lays there is important as it does affect us in daily life. We can be fooling ourselves about something in daily life but the emotions will come out in dreams.

Knowing our subconsciousness is to help to know ourselves.
Last edited by taniaaust1 on 04 Jan 2014 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “Dream Interpretation”