Q: Situation vs. emotion

A place to share and analyze your dreams (lucid or otherwise) to better understand your dreams' subconscious symbolism.
RosenVitae

Q: Situation vs. emotion

Postby RosenVitae » 02 Nov 2012 12:01

Hey there :)

This morning I had an incredibly vivid dream (non-lucid) and when I try to interpret it, I came upon a question.

In the dream, my neighbour had just performed surgery on me in my bedroom. I woke up from the anesthesia and found myself having robust helium balloons hanging from cords going into my belly. I knew they were attached to my organs, but my emotional response was nothing like what would have in waking life. I had no trouble playing with/floating on the balloons, even though their cords pulled at my belly.

My question is this: When interpreting dreams, do I analyse the situation only, or do I account for emotional response too?
Started training: 18/12-2011.
First deliberate LD: 4/1-2012 (DILD).
Lucidities after that: 26/3-2012 (DILD during nap), 1/6-2012 (DILD during nap),

Morning Glory

Re: Q: Situation vs. emotion

Postby Morning Glory » 24 Nov 2012 16:00

That's a great question. My own answer is that it's both. In some cases, the emotion may be important. A good example of this is grief. On the other hand, fear is fickle. But then, fear is fickle in waking life, too, because we so often fear things that aren't all that scary. We fear them because they are unknown sometimes, not because they threaten us in any way.

I have also found that sometimes intense emotion has less to do with the meaning of the dream and more to do with making the dreamer pay attention to the message. The emotion tends to "stick" the dream in your memory and make you think about it during waking life. In that way, the emotion is a "device" of the subconscious, if we can talk about the subconscious as though it has logic. :D

In your dream, you felt "calm" while experiencing a horrific scene. This is pretty common in dreams. Specifically, I have seen it in reading dreams of flooding and other natural disasters. Strangely, a lot of people drown "calmly." In this case, because it is the opposite of what you might expect, it may have meaning and indicate how you approach life, problems, crisis or tragedy, in general. Anyway, it's something to think about...

Return to “Dream Interpretation”