Spatial Awareness Messed Up

A place to share and analyze your dreams (lucid or otherwise) to better understand your dreams' subconscious symbolism.
Rebecca
Site Admin

Spatial Awareness Messed Up

Postby Rebecca » 01 Sep 2011 07:48

There are certain times when my spatial awareness is messed up by the dream world.

For instance, last night I (non-lucidly) dreamed I was in the movie theater, but the seats were arranged in odd blocks, all facing different angles, and I had to look around a block of seats to see the movie screen. This is a common feature whenever I dream of going to the movies.

Another time this happens is when I dream of going to the bathroom. There are never any walls or cubicle around the toilet (if there are, they still give no privacy) and the toilet is just exposed to the rest of the room. I still don't become lucid in this ridiculous situation!

These symbols appear this way repeatedly and I wonder why my brain does this. It's like I have corrupt spacial awareness in certain locations. Toilets and movie theaters... still can't see the connection. :?

fineganswaker

Re: Spatial Awareness Messed Up

Postby fineganswaker » 01 Sep 2011 23:18

Rebecca wrote:still can't see the connection.

Sounds incredibly familiar, Rebecca!

And how 'bout this: Last night I had an odd, non-lucid, false awakening dream where the time was about 10 minutes or so to 7am (when I normal get up on work days). And there's a dream figure looking at me and taping on his watch as if to say "Hey, kid--it's almost time to get up! Don't you think you'd better get cracking on this lucid dreaming!? Time's running out--you're gonna blow it, pal!"

And--STILL--I didn't get it!

The dream collapsed and I woke up after (what felt like, at least) an hour--and now it was just before 7am (and, no, unfortunately this wasn't another false awakening!). RATS! I had blown it!

Oh well. File this one under "funniest missed RCs", I guess.

Until tonight...

Toby

Postby Toby » 06 Sep 2011 10:03

Hello Rebecca,

I know these dreams: going to the bathroom but no privacy. I had them for many years. But they didn't visit me for some time now. There is book by Marie Cardinal, where a french woman described her experiences during psychoanalysis and there she relates also having had recurrent dreams of toilets without privacy. It had some meaning in this book for her but I can't remember what is was. But I personally think that motives that come over and over again have some meaning. Perhaps if I got lucid I would just try to ask "Why is there no wall?" Maybe you get an answer. Sometimes I get some answers about the dream when I just ask (when I am lucid, of course).

It is an interesting thing that familiar places look different in a dream. For some time I used to dream on the city where my aunt once lived. The funny thing was that the city - although I know exactly in my memory how it looks like - never looked like the real city. It was similiar, but really not the same, the "dream town" only retained some typical features of the real town. Now, the dream town doesn't come any more, but I don't have the slightest idea why...

Best wishes, Toby

rdubya

Postby rdubya » 19 Sep 2011 18:52

To go along with spatial awareness, i wonder if time awareness gets messed up for a reason as well.

For example the other day I had a LD, and it was very vivid and i was very aware. I was even doing things I had decided to do when I entered a LD. However, it never occurred to me I was at my old home and that I don't live there anymore. (I have recently moved) It was like my mind was stuck in certain time and the move had not yet happened because it never clicked. In all my vivd and aware LD I am able to answer the question of where am I and realize if i was in my childhood, teens, etc. But this time I thought I was LD in location I was living. It wasn't until I woke up in my new house did I say how did I not realize I was not in my new home? It was like knowledge of the present was simply kept from entering my aware thoughts, so i was living in the past without knowing i was in the past!

alpacatackler

Postby alpacatackler » 21 Sep 2011 04:10

I get the dream about messed up toilets, too! There can be so many things...no privacy, the toilet is totally wrong, it's not even an actual toilet, I can't find it, etc. These are so annoying that I'd rather just wake up so I can go to the real bathroom!

On the spatial awareness thing, I recently dreamed that I was in a cafe sitting in a chair, but instead of sitting normally I had my knees draped over the top of the back and the rest of my body hanging down, with my back resting on the end of the seat. I can even remember thinking in the dream, "I wonder if this way of sitting is socially acceptable?"

In my last lucid dream I actually stopped singing in the dream because I was afraid I might sing in real life, kind of like sleep talking, and I was afraid someone would hear. Apparently I didn't remember I was completely alone in the house!

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 01 Oct 2011 00:49

Toby - I will check out this book by Marie Cardinal, I would love to know the psychoanalytical explanation! I'm guessing the book is "Words To Say It"? I will ask my lucid dream too :)

Rdubya - Totally relate to this too! When I emigrated from England to New Zealand, it was a huge lifestyle change, yet many of my dreams still referenced England (and airports) and the people I knew there. For a while I kept getting lucid by realizing - hang on, I don't live here any more! It took weeks if not months for my subconscious to catch up with reality....

alpacatackler -

alpacatackler wrote:I can even remember thinking in the dream, "I wonder if this way of sitting is socially acceptable?"

LOL :lol:

MiaSnow

Postby MiaSnow » 21 Oct 2011 08:50

Haha that's pretty cool that you go to the movies in your dreams! I've never done that.

I have had similar bathroom dreams. I feel that, for me, the lack of privacy is designed to attack my comfort level & wake me up, urging me to actually go to the bathroom! In my dreams, the bathrooms are all very public. Are they in yours too?

If the movie theater situation was my dream, I might think about what a theater represents to me... social entertainment. And movies are visual stories, similar to watching dreams. Also, they usually have big public bathrooms which attack my level of comfort! Possibly yours too. I know I always use the bathroom at least once at the movies. Those drinks are huge :) Possible connection between the 2 types of dreams.

I might wonder if the theater dreams are trying to wake me up for some reason, like the bathroom dreams.

Having to look around the seats to see the screen reminds me of when I have to look around somebody's big head in front of me, which always seems to happen to me at the movies! It seems to reference "position" &/or something being in the way. I might consider my feelings on socializing & being in public.

Also thinking that the theater could represent YOU ASLEEP... watching your dreams unfold... something is in the way, & that thing might just be the missing lucidity.

Hope you see a great movie tonight!

Lucid Dreams!
~Mia

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 25 Oct 2011 20:50

I read about the movie theatre dream that rebecca had. That same night I had a non-lucid dream about being in a movie theater. The chairs were all messed up. :o
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 27 Oct 2011 00:55

I am IN YOUR MIND. Sweet. :twisted:

Chronos

Postby Chronos » 09 Jan 2012 01:45

Good thing there was no privacy. You know very well what would happen if you used the bathroom in a dream... :lol:
ARE YOU DREAMING?

Return to “Dream Interpretation”