Sleep Paralysis Shadow Monster: Friend or Foe?

Discuss paranormal activity linked with sleep and dreams, such as out of body experiences, astral projection and psychic dreams.
HAGART

Sleep Paralysis Shadow Monster: Friend or Foe?

Postby HAGART » 12 Apr 2012 00:18

I posted this in 'Share Your Lucid Dreams', but feel that some may find it paranormal aswell. If you don't know about the shadow being than you won't know what I am talking about. And I've heard other stories so I know it is not just me....

THIS IS LONG BUT CRAZY.....

Who is 'the shadow guy'? I keep asking him, but he never gives a name. Perhaps even he doesn't know.

I've had classic sleep paralysis before and was visited by a shadow-blob creature that feels like pure evil, constricts your body, sits on you and all that before. But other times he is not so bad, and can even make you feel good. And sometimes I get all the other symptoms and never see him at all.

Just yesterday I was in a lucid dream and it ended and I entered that strange place in between lucid dreams whre you feel like you are in a bed, but 'sink down', completley relax every muscle, and/or float around the room. I've been getting a string of those lately.

So yesterday I was under the 'covers', and I feel someone tap me and tell me to wake up. I am afraid to pull back the covers to see what it is. I know I am in that place and it can be a scary shadow monster. I ask what his name is but he doesn't reply. Here's what I wrote in my Dream Journal:

I asked him if he was good or evil, and he replied something like neither or it depends. I don't think he said good, but I know for sure he never said evil because I would have never let him in. I said, "ok, then I love you". (I find it helpful to turn negative feelings to good when in this state.) I let his hand reach in and it was a shadow, but in human hand form. I grabbed it like we were shaking hands. I may have grabbed the 'forearm', but it was though we were greeting. His head comes in now and it too his humanoid shadow, his face has blue flashes of light. He said he fears nothing and doesn't ask questions. I ask if his face is blue, then am I red? He said there was a little green in there and some other colors.... (i think yellow). But I quickly thought of red and green and joked, does that make me santa clause?!?! He thought it was funny. I asked if he wanted to dream and he said sure. I said, or he suggested, to climb inside me. He got in and I felt poking feelings in my body the way I do sometimes when I get sleep paralysis. I joked, about how he was poking me and he apologized. After a while if felt like he was behind me, riding piggyback with his legs like tentacles around me. I was ready and before I knew it, like I did a few other times that night, I sank a little. Then my body completely relaxed and I sank more. I think I may have floated a little, landed on the ground, and got up and went upstairs to the "scannell party dream'.

So yesterday he was a nice guy. But not today!

Today, I was floated around the room as I usually do, and getting dragged around by a mysterious evil force. I decided to look and see what it was. It was the shadow guy. This time he felt more sinister. He dragged me to a sliding glass door near where I was sleeping and I jokingly asked if he wouldn't mind taking me upstairs. He opened the door and I was cast out the house and he remained inside. I was laying on the grass and looked at my feet and saw a black shadowy tendril or tentacle leading back to the door were he stood staring at me. This time the figure was still human shape but a huge ten foot tall hulking beast of a person. There were flashes of red and yellow in his figure too. He was able to poke and manipulate my body a bit from a distance as though the black tendril was a remote control. I refused to get scared and this angered him. He came out and got close to my face. It was a swirling face of red and yellow, black and white, but i got the impression it was like a dragon with teeth or something scary looking. I forget the exact words, but he was very coherent at the time. Basically he said he wanted to get inside me. (I thought he wanted to possess me.) Everytime I punched him, I felt the same place on my body get hit. He said that if I punch him I get hurt, but he can do it to me and it doesn't effect him. (I later thought he was lying when I saw him again.) Then he said I was suppose to leave some of my flesh for him in the morning every morning.

That was a bit creepy and I was finally able to wake up, but it was a false awakening. Yada yada....

I saw him several more times that night and have before and probably will again. Even some sentient dream characters I met won't tell me who or what he is. I feel they want me to learn on my own.

So there it is. What the hell is this thing? When I woke up today, I almost started to believe in demons, it was THAT REAL!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Re: Sleep Paralysis Shadow Monster: Friend or Foe?

Postby Summerlander » 13 Apr 2012 15:34

It was Beelzebub in disguise...

LOL! :mrgreen:

Just kidding. The monster is whatever you want it to be and I mean this on every level. Here's an excerpt from my journal and my thoughts on it which relates to this:

"The other fighters were back on their feet and exchanging physical blows again. I was intrigued by the way they fought and felt that I was learning something. Mesmerised by the crazy situation I was in, I took a long pause and fell asleep only to falsely awake in bed. I was lying on my stomach while Stacey stroked my hair. She cuddled me and I proceeded to tell her about all the fighting I had done in the phase. Little did I know that I was still in it!

Initially, there was absolutely no way of telling because the bed and my wife pressed against me felt as they should, in my mind, and, the room was no different in appearance except for a strange globular face that sat on top of our stereo. This living object stared at me before closing its eyes. Stacey was still stroking my hair when I asked: “Babe, am I still having hypnopompic hallucinations, even though I’m awake, or am I still dreaming?” - The globe opened its eyes like an evil pumpkin and the stroking of the hair ceased. It hit me then that I was still immersed in the phase and all I needed to do was to get up and move away from my perceived physical stencil.

What I initially took to be my wife, however, jumped on my back, gripped my arms and pressed down against my body. I was unable to move as I heard the cackling of a hag next to my ear. I managed to curb a growing fear by reminding myself that the experience was a hallucination. The cackling was most likely manifested by my acquaintance with the “old hag syndrome” expression that describes frightful experiences during sleep paralysis that involve the perception of evil presences in the room. The truth is that the borderline state between waking and sleeping is the source of the mythical beings we hear about in folklore and legend."

It's from an experience I had a fortnight ago. There is really nothing to fear. This monster most likely represents an aspect of your personality. It will only have power over you if you let it. Doubt and a lack of confidence promote the likelihood of your worst nightmares coming true. Treat the monster like a dog. Don't be afraid, don't show fear, or it will smell it in you. :D

The Phase = Out-of-Body Experiences / Lucid Dreaming
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Apr 2012 19:28

I absolutely agree.

The first time I had sleep paralysis I realized the same day that the fear came before the form.
I didn't see a shadow and then get scared. I was already scared before it arrived.

I don't blame people for thinking demons or old hags are real. If I was living in the dark ages, I would too. But as a lucid dreamer I know all too well how powerful our minds can be. If I experienced what I did without ever having lucid dreamed before in my life.... I'd by in a fetal position, dripping in cold sweat, waiting for a exorcist to arrive :lol:

But I am more scientific than religious, but it can truly feel like there is an astral plane where sentient beings exist. I met a few good ones that night too.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 14 Apr 2012 21:58

Yes, we certainly live in a different age where certain phenomena lose their mystical halo due to lucid dreaming. One thing is for sure... we certainly enter a mental realm where we can pick our reality. Perhaps possible worlds and beings are manifest there and really do exist - maybe it is a matter of infinite possibilities awaiting physical birth... who knows. It may even go beyond the simple notion of an astral plane. These beings you meet could also be aspects of your personality. When you are lucid, they may be non-lucid. and vice versa.

At the same time, lucid dreaming could allows us to visit other people's dreams and imagination. If you think about it, how many times do people talk about their dreams in general. Not much. If you have a lucid dream where you have sex with your neighbour, this one may be dreaming about having sex with you. You think your neighbour would admit to this? Also, do you have the courage to announce what you did in your lucid dream to said person?

Then we have to consider the possibility of precognition besides telepathy. On a program called Superhumans, there was a man who was recording his lucid dreams and some appeared to be precognitive. Here, I found it! This is interesting - we can all try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMk8QJ7zklg
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Lucy^ore

Postby Lucy^ore » 07 May 2012 05:17

WOW, another person talking to a demon and you dont even realize it, JESUS PEOPLE.
everything you experience in this state is real, when your dreaming, you have access to other realms and dimensions, and in these realms and dimensions there is hell and heaven and purgatory and other incredible things, you are being slowly killed by a demon, and you dont even want to admit it, but im sure it affects you when your awake too.
You should kill it, or it will kill you.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 08 May 2012 21:47

:twisted: I AM POSSESSED! :twisted:

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 09 May 2012 01:01

Lucy do you really think someone can kill what is not alive? Everything in a dream is a dream= reality.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 11 May 2012 10:20

Lucy^ore wrote:WOW, another person talking to a demon and you dont even realize it, JESUS PEOPLE.
everything you experience in this state is real, when your dreaming, you have access to other realms and dimensions, and in these realms and dimensions there is hell and heaven and purgatory and other incredible things, you are being slowly killed by a demon, and you dont even want to admit it, but im sure it affects you when your awake too.
You should kill it, or it will kill you.

LOL! :mrgreen:

When I was a kid I had perennial false awakenings where naked albino men would chase me around the house and attack me. They possessed malicious grins and I can see many people interpreting that as demon visits.

I learned about lucid dreaming eventually and occasionally experienced monsters and learned to face them. Today, they hardly come. They are nothing but manifestations of fear. I'm still alive. Here's another truth nugget: children don't know much about the world, they fear the unknown - ergo the reason why they generally have more nightmares than adults.

There are no demons. They don't exist. So far, the only religion that has addressed the true nature of mind is Buddhism. In Buddhist philosophy, demons have no existence but a subjective one. Once you understand that they are aspects of yourself and treat them accordingly, you will transform them and self-integrate. Then, the so-called demonic appearance will cease to be.

- Padmasambhava

stormsyr

Postby stormsyr » 02 Aug 2012 09:25

Hi, I'm new to this whole thing, but I think I may know what you mean.

My experiences aren't so vivid/detailed, but I was never aware of lucid dreaming until yesterday.

One of the first I remember was absolutely dreadful! I had somehow fallen asleep with my eyes partly open. Cracked just enough to see shadows in the room, of the bed, dressers, etc. I started falling asleep and everything quickly turned into witches goblins and other such nasties. It was absolutely terrifying. And I couldn't move! I had no idea what was going on. Waking up was at first, not any better since I had already had my eyes open, so when I awoke and opened my eyes fully, the shadows were still there! It took a second but I understood their true shape as the dream faded. Scary when you have no idea what it is.

I get these paralysis dreams all too often. Most of the time I hear someone knocking or calling my name. The person is always someone I know(family), but they mean me harm. I'm terrified and want to get up to make them go away, hide, scream, do SOMETHING! Not knowing what is happening scares me all the more, but I eventually force myself awake. Many times these happen with false awakenings. I wake up and let the dog out, then the next thing I know i'm in bed and the dog wants to go out, so i'm like uh ok... random dream, bye fido, wake up and dogs wants out.... wtf?! Ok so bye... Wake up, and the dog is laying on my legs.. Wow! A dream! ( learned yesterday of false awakenings >.<)

More recently I've come to realize these paralysis dreams are just that, dreams. I am able to somewhat control them. I can at least make the terror away from it, even if I still can't get control of my body. And a lot of times I like to try to see if I can move. I guess that was my way of facing the monster. Tell him/it/the dream it wasn't real, and I knew I was dreaming, then force myself(Sometimes having to kick and kick and kick until finally a muscle twitched and I awoke) awake.
Now that i'm starting to understand these things, perhaps now it will not be terrifying, but I can take control of it, or try to use it as a window into lucid dreaming.

Anyhow, I'm glad to have come across this thread! It helps me understand what it is that's been happening(MUCH more so in the past few months. 1-3 times a month)

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 02 Aug 2012 23:21

stormsyr wrote:Most of the time I hear someone knocking or calling my name.

Yea, I get that too sometimes. Apparently it's called exploding head syndrome but that's some very harsh words to describe a simple phenomenon. Anyway, I actually haven't had an encounter with this 'shadow guy' since I posted this. Knowledge and sharing knowledge makes us all a bit wiser.

Return to “Paranormal Activity”