The Hereafter

Discuss paranormal activity linked with sleep and dreams, such as out of body experiences, astral projection and psychic dreams.
Summerlander

Re: The Hereafter

Postby Summerlander » 20 Apr 2017 22:01

In that case, going down the road of transhumanism might have more pros than cons. The ultimate goal for the human mind would be to become ... God. :shock:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 21 Apr 2017 00:13

The problem with transhumanism is it is just not the same as Utah immortality (also transhumanism wouldn't allow for the infinite knowledge I am afraid, since computer storage doesn't even allow this). Teleporting or using the speed of thought to get to other planets and other universes would still be impossible even with technology. Unless you have a mental ability to reverse the effects of a black hole trying to suck you in (which with Utah immortality, you have the quantum ability to reverse the effects and escape), you are either not going to be so immortal or are going to be trapped for all eternity in your own personal Hades. It's going to have to take something more than our current technology to achieve something as intense as Utah immortality, especially since I also know there are other super abilities involved.
More than the indefinite lucid dreaming, I would go for that form of immortality. This is probably why in some of my lucid dreams, I wear a white robe. The most respected immortal characters whose goal it is to go out and do good deeds for others wear the white robe. While there is also another supernatural entity who also wears the white robe in Utah stories, I mostly wear the white robe in some of my lucid dreams more than likely because I am a huge fan of the immortal stories, and have been since I was a child. Except the immortal characters don't use intangibility and don't need to, since they can just teleport to wherever they need to be, and can either reflect or dodge any incoming attacks, and my attempts to copy them while wearing that white robe are just horrible.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 21 Apr 2017 00:22

A few questions ...

Do you think the white robe symbolises purity, wisdom, spirituality and immortality (the opposite of death)?

Does Utah immortality involve technology-induced lucid dreams/virtual realities? Can you expatiate on this concept? I'm interested ...

The hard problem of consciousness needs to be addressed and solved. Here are two philosophers and scientists discussing the puzzling phenomenon ...

It's worth mentioning that Sam Harris was partly inspired by Chalmers to dabble in the philosophy of mind. Surprisingly, despite disagreeing with Daniel Dennett about the hard problem of consciousness, both men respect Consciousness Explained as they feel that all lines of enquiry should be explored. Undeniably, however, the question seems to remain: Why should certain neuronal states feel like something? Is it really an illusion that we should get past---according to Dennett---or is it something more that we are in the danger of overlooking if we solely adopt the 'Multiple Drafts' theory?

The discussion between Harris and Chalmers touches upon epiphenomenalism---the idea that consciousness is a by-product of the functional brain but it doesn't actually do anything. (Analogous to the steam coming out of a locomotive: although it relates to the mechanism, it doesn't contribute.) Of course, as it's pointed out, consciousness as an epiphenomenon cannot be entirely true if its existent causes people to speculate about its nature and prompts them to have lengthy disquisitions about it. Chalmers also appears to hint at a possible inscrutability of consciousness if we can't even be sure that machines possess subjective states even if they happen to pass the Turing Test; likewise, you can't be as certain of other people's subjective states as you are of your own (as the theory of mind implicates).

We are also made aware of the philosophical advantages and disadvantages of panpsychism as a possibility. Consciousness could be as fundamental in reality as time, space, and the laws of physics themselves.

By the way, they mention Max Tegmark's mathematical approach which I think is somewhat pertinent to this link: arxiv.org/abs/1401.1219: Consciousness as a State of Matter.

Here's an interesting excerpt from the article where I found the link:

'So the problem is why we perceive the universe as the semi-classical, three dimensional world that is so familiar. When we look at a glass of iced water, we perceive the liquid and the solid ice cubes as independent things even though they are intimately linked as part of the same system. How does this happen? Out of all possible outcomes, why do we perceive this solution? Tegmark does not have an answer. But what’s fascinating about his approach is that it is formulated using the language of quantum mechanics in a way that allows detailed scientific reasoning. And as a result it throws up all kinds of new problems that physicists will want to dissect in more detail. Take for example, the idea that the information in a conscious system must be unified. That means the system must contain error-correcting codes that allow any subset of up to half the information to be reconstructed from the rest. Tegmark points out that any information stored in a special network known as a Hopfield neural net automatically has this error-correcting facility. However, he calculates that a Hopfield net about the size of the human brain with 10^11 neurons, can only store 37 bits of integrated information. “This leaves us with an integration paradox: why does the information content of our conscious experience appear to be vastly larger than 37 bits?” asks Tegmark. That’s a question that many scientists might end up pondering in detail. For Tegmark, this paradox suggests that his mathematical formulation of consciousness is missing a vital ingredient. “This strongly implies that the integration principle must be supplemented by at least one additional principle,” he says. Suggestions please in the comments section! And yet the power of this approach is in the assumption that consciousness does not lie beyond our ken; that there is no “secret sauce” without which it cannot be tamed.'
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 21 Apr 2017 01:04

Summerlander wrote:A few questions ...

Do you think the white robe symbolises purity, wisdom, spirituality and immortality (the opposite of death)?

As a matter of fact, yes it does. White is supposed to represent the complete opposite of death, why you will often see white buildings in Utah. In fact if a person meditates in the white room, it cleans out the mind, and it is even impossible to fall into a dream while in that white room. It's probably the only place I ever come out of with calmed and refreshed emotions.
Only the benevolent immortal characters or supernatural entities wear the white robe, and their main intention is to help others in any way they can (good deeds).

Does Utah immortality involve technology-induced lucid dreams/virtual realities? Can you expatiate on this concept? I'm interested ...

No it wouldn't, you'd be awake and semi-human (no ghosts) if this were possible. It's more or less what I would consider a "superhuman" ability AKA a superpower. Except I finally found a superpower that doesn't have any drawbacks as with invincibility and the ability to throw back any laws of science as well as the immortality, you couldn't be affected by the laws of science. I think I said this before, because of your invincibility, you give up your ability to lucid dream, because you don't need to sleep anymore. You get so many new abilities with the immortality, plus your partner becomes immortal as well, so it ends up being worth it. Like I said before, because you can teleport to any planet or universe that you want, and nothing on them can hurt you, there are infinite possibilities.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Shardarke

Postby Shardarke » 25 Apr 2017 14:12

"I still run from the intolerable things for a very good reason: I cannot control my emotions. I would rather run and avoid them, and be able to keep my emotions as stable as possible, then face the stressful and extremely traumatic ones, and end up having a depression episode."

-- are you still in the depression state?

24/7/365

Postby 24/7/365 » 25 Apr 2017 15:24

all life a life expires at different rates.
death is not part of life.
life is part of death.
do you remember before you were born, it's like that

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 25 Apr 2017 15:40

Shardarke wrote:
-- are you still in the depression state?

Not as bad as I was in middle school.

As of right now, I am going through that. My depression usually when it's more healthy, comes and goes in cycles.

I do have a personal question for you, why does MY depression really matter THAT much to you anyways? Why does it seem to me that you only joined this website just to pick at my weakness? Are you even interested in lucid dreaming?

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 27 Apr 2017 12:47

Here's an excerpt from Sam Harris's Waking Up which I read some time ago:

'Whatever the ultimate relationship between consciousness and matter, almost everyone will agree that at some point in the development of complex organisms like ourselves, consciousness SEEMS to emerge. This emergence does not depend on a change of materials, for you and I are built of the same atoms as a fern or a ham sandwich. Instead, the birth of consciousness must be the result of organisation: Arranging atoms in certain ways appears to bring about an experience of BEING that very collection of atoms. This is undoubtedly one of the deepest mysteries given to us to contemplate... We know, of course, that human MINDS are the product of human brains. There is simply no question that your ability to decode and understand this sentence depends upon neurophysiological events taking place inside your head at this moment. But most of this mental work occurs entirely in the dark, and it is a mystery why any part of the process should be attended by consciousness. Nothing about the brain, when surveyed as a physical system, suggests that it is a locus of experience.'

- Padmasambhava

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 27 Apr 2017 16:12

You seem to believe then that people are worth less than your ham sandwich then? That's pretty horrible.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 27 Apr 2017 17:51

I believe Ted Bundy is worth less than a ham sandwich, that's for sure. :mrgreen:

And Charles Manson was worth less than excrement. The former terrorised civillians and the latter can fertilise the land. :idea:

I'd rather an arrangement of atoms that define shit and sandwiches than molecular structures forming deranged killers. 8-)

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Paranormal Activity”