What Dreams Say about Time

Discuss paranormal activity linked with sleep and dreams, such as out of body experiences, astral projection and psychic dreams.
Price

What Dreams Say about Time

Postby Price » 26 Feb 2017 07:49

So there was a study that showed that external sounds are incorporated into the dreams, and that the dream would create a scenario that would explain the sound, but it could only do that in a way that would make it seem like the dream could predict when the sound was coming. For example you are dreaming of being in a park and an ambulance shows up and then drives by and at that moment your alarm clock goes of and the sound of the alarm clock is incorporated into the dream. Yet the experience is that the ambulance appeared in the dream before the alarm clock noise. So either 1 of 2 things happened.
1. Your dream psychically predicted the alarm was coming.
2. Your experience of time in a dream is not linear and the dream built the experience of the past the moment it hear the alarm.

When people dream in fragments I encourage them to not think of dreams in linear time terms with a beginning middle and end, but as the dream starting in the middle and creating a future and past moment, the dream starting at a point and being created out in time forwards and backwards.
This is my experience of being enter into a dream.

I have also had experiences of being asleep for only a couple of minutes but of having the dream experience feel a lot longer. So my sleeping mind changed my perception of time.

When i ask dream characters about telling me the future, they always seemed confused by the concept.

This is making me think that we only experience time linearly, but that time doesn't actually flow that way, and also through enhanced dreaming and meditation practice we can start experience time in other ways such as maybe spiraling.

What do other people think about how time works and our perception of time. I know a lot of mystics and other spiritual people tell us that there is only the present moment and time is an illusion. What do you think?

lia78

Re: What Dreams Say about Time

Postby lia78 » 26 Feb 2017 08:51

Hi Price,
I believe that its only our perception of time that makes it linear. Our mind is not able to imagine any other time concept as for us, everything has the beginning and the end, we are born and then die, and everything gets allocated into this line.
But if it comes to imagining where the whole universe began, we are failing. Big bang theory is nice but doesnt explain what was here before big bang occured. Doesnt explain origin of space, and "being" in general.
Thats why I think linear time applies only on our world, but otherwise its relative and this subject actually proves limits of our style of thinking.
Obviously, dreams are reflecting other options than our common logic.
Some theories see time as circle, or a spiral.
www.astromagicstar.com

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 26 Feb 2017 18:12

I know it is possible as a lucid dream ability to memorize the exact time, and it goes way further than memorizing the exact time.

Do you even know what time is? It is how long the earth takes to rotate around the sun? But because each area on earth rotates around the earth at different times, there are what we call time zones. While we have adapted to our time, if we were to migrate to another planet, we could have completely different length in our days, months, years, and even our lifespans, just because if the rotation around its sun and possible moon was different, depending on the size of the planet (affects the amount of gravity), the distance from the star, and more factors contribute.

That's how it goes most of the time in some of my lucid dreams, I can tell exact time and weather, and if I travel up into space, I have the ability to be able to tell space time depending on what type of planet or area I am in.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 27 Feb 2017 23:53

I have had a few experiences like this. I'd conclude that time in dreams does not run exactly linearly to waking reality. In your ambulance example, I'd guess that: In waking reality the alarm goes off, your brain receives this information and the dream scenario then begins, and plays out, then you awake to, and hear, the sound. To an observer in waking reality, this would appear to happen all in the same moment. The only way this could happen would be if time in your dreams runs much, much slower. This is a theory I am working on.
Dreaming is my drug

Return to “Paranormal Activity”