Do you believe in a multiverse?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

Do you believe in the Multiverse theory?

Yeah
68%
No man thats wack
11%
I stay away from belief discussions as I dont fully understand the concept yet
14%
...Multiverse theory?
7%

Total votes: 28

Jack Reacher

Re: Do you believe in a multiverse?

Postby Jack Reacher » 05 Aug 2012 23:11

lucidinthe sky wrote:Do you believe in a multiverse?

The answer is simple: In exactly one half of the existing universes I believe, in the other half, I don't. :)

But seriously, how do we even know that the universe we experience exists? We think that everything we experience with our 5 senses is absolute, but our universe must be created by our brains. To a worm, the inside of an apple is the universe.

I dont think anyone thinks our experiences are absolute, but I think the universe does exist because if it didnt, we wouldnt be able to experience it would we? I dont think the actual universe is created by our brains, but the experience of it is, thats becoming pretty much general knowledge now.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Ty8200

Postby Ty8200 » 06 Aug 2012 16:30

lucidinthe sky wrote:Do you believe in a multiverse?

The answer is simple: In exactly one half of the existing universes I believe, in the other half, I don't. :)

But seriously, how do we even know that the universe we experience exists? We think that everything we experience with our 5 senses is absolute, but our universe must be created by our brains. To a worm, the inside of an apple is the universe.

Yay, finally found someone on the same page as me!
Reality is the sight, where reflection is the truth.
Water is the glass, where deception is the stone.
Reality is the cage, where limit is the lock.
Mind is the key, where only the blind can see.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 22 Aug 2012 05:38

Heres an interesting question to revive the topic. In other universes with different physical laws, do you think geometry will be the same? In other words, will there still be lines and such, or will there be completely different shapes and laws of nature? For instance could there be triangles with angles that dont add to 180 degrees, the shortest distance between two points might not be a straight line, or maybe it will be impossible to imagine what anything looks like as it will be a different species with a different brain?

OR

Is it impossible for the laws of geometry to be different, no matter what universe you are in? To take it further, are the laws of nature the same everywhere?

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 22 Aug 2012 22:16

Jack Reacher wrote:Heres an interesting question to revive the topic. In other universes with different physical laws, do you think geometry will be the same? In other words, will there still be lines and such, or will there be completely different shapes and laws of nature? For instance could there be triangles with angles that dont add to 180 degrees, the shortest distance between two points might not be a straight line, or maybe it will be impossible to imagine what anything looks like as it will be a different species with a different brain?

OR

Is it impossible for the laws of geometry to be different, no matter what universe you are in? To take it further, are the laws of nature the same everywhere?

Personally I think by definition a different universe CAN have completely different logistics and geometry.
Dreaming is my drug

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 30 Aug 2012 05:14

torakrubik wrote:Is it impossible for the laws of geometry to be different, no matter what universe you are in? To take it further, are the laws of nature the same everywhere?

It makes sense to me that the laws can be different because even though we think of our physical reality to be the absolute true reality, in fact it all may be completely arbitary. Why not? You could come up with a different set of rules by which everything functions and then have come up with an entire "scientific" system to "prove" that they are indeed true and correct including ways to "prove" ;) them, then you have another reality that has laws that can be proven and of course it follows that there will be many individuals that will lay down their lives in support of these truths. They will be convinced because it can be proven of course. Many people will swear by whatever that this is the only true reality that could exist and will be convinced.

It would be funny to visit one of these places and then we woiuld say "Wow, these people are so messed up! They really believe that! I'm so glad we know the real truth!!!"
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 08 Sep 2012 05:51

Just something to spice up the topic again, here is a question that doesnt necessarily require an answer, just something for you to think about.

Where is the universe? You may assume that there is just one universe ours. PIcture the entire thing in space and ask, where is all that?

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 08 Sep 2012 16:53

The problem I have with considering "where is the universe" is that of reference. It's hard to define the location of anything without a reference point. So if you're on the Earth, you say the ground is down in reference to my head when I'm in an upright position and up is in the opposite direction. If you are floating around in space, which way is up or down? If you take your computer and examine it, from the outside of it which is your reference point, you can define the entire thing because you can see it from the outside from any perspective. But what if you were inside it? How would you be able to define it's size, shape and location?
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 24 Sep 2012 07:38

Wanted to add my latest thoughts on this topic.

Lately I've been considering this as a possibility. Suppose everything in the universe is made of exactly the same thing, but having the possibility to be anything depending on the instructions. So nothing is defined initially, and can be anything. Sort of a universe of pixels, like your computer screen. On your screen, each pixel can be any color and brightness. The picture on your screen can be anything, but it has a definition based on instructions (information) So when we watch a movie we see a picture of something moving, but in reality we are seeing the movement of information.

So based on that idea, the multiverse would be the undefined state of all possibilities instead of separate universes based on events. Information defines it.

Hopefully this makes sense, but the whole concept is just beginning to formulate for me so I'm still working on it. I've been reading about physicists who have concluded that the universe is made of information, it's a very interesting concept.

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 05 Aug 2013 00:07

I believe in that Plus it's branch theory Fictional Realism.

LCDAnthony

Postby LCDAnthony » 05 Aug 2013 20:42

I think it could be possible! I don't fully believe in it but I think it could be possible.

I'm christian but I try and stay open minded about every belief. It's cool knowing others beliefs!

Return to “Off-Topic”