Why can't I realize that something is out of the norm?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Ivanna

Why can't I realize that something is out of the norm?

Postby Ivanna » 10 Jul 2012 23:10

So, I have been trying out the MILD technique now for just over a week . I am able to write down at least one dream in the morning, I do my best to remember to do reality checks throughout the day, I often just look around and accept the fact that I might actually be dreaming and look out for any weird things that happen during the day, I say lucid affirmations in my mind every night before I go to sleep and I also spend at least half an hour a day doing my research about LD's but none of that has seemed to work yet. But I'm not giving up or getting frustrated about it, all I want to know is how on earth am I meant to be able to just randomly spot something that might be a bit odd in a dream and come to the conclusion that I might be dreaming? It seems impossible. Like the other night in my dream I was climbing over giant pink mushrooms in a magical forest and even then it didn't click that it all might possibly be a dream! I mean, if giant pink mushrooms don't make me question my reality in a dream then what will?! :lol:
So what I really want to know is how do you actually start to question things in dreams? And any other advice as to what to do would be lovely. Thank you :)
In dreams, we enter a world that's entirely our own ~ Dumbledore

Jack Reacher

Re: Why can't I realize that something is out of the norm?

Postby Jack Reacher » 11 Jul 2012 02:22

What I like to do is get up around 4:30 and walk around a bit, actually get out of bed, go to the toilet or whatever. When you get back to bed I tend to be more alert and more aware, so when I do start dreaming it seems easier to spot odd stuff happening
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Peter

Postby Peter » 11 Jul 2012 03:49

Its either very hard or very easy to question reality in a dream. The first obstacle is that whatever is going on in the dream is the reality of the moment so you need to have some sub routines in place to raise the question of "am I dreaming" it needs to be a habit that from time to time comes to your awareness. Even though I dont like them doing reality checks during the day is the first way to seed these checks. Keep at it and when it happens your will be amazed at how easy it is.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

randomletters

Postby randomletters » 15 Aug 2012 20:53

I have the same question on all of my dreams. Whenever I dream, it is extremely vivid, in color, (I've heard that people dream in black and white. Not sure how true that is for other people, but I never do.) and also, almost always in third person. It is probably more rare to me to have a dream in first person, than to lucid dream. (and I have never had a lucid dream before)
So, whenever I wake up, I always question the fact that my dream was in third person, but I thought nothing of it.

fistania

Postby fistania » 16 Aug 2012 07:31

for me, i post "dream notes" after i write my dream journal for that day. for example, if i dream something like "being in place that i called school (it's not), saw my mom drawing a pig but the pig changed into goat", i would write it like this:

1/01/2001

** (a picture of key)= "school", mom drawing pig-->goat

i was walking in "my school" (eventhough it's not), then i saw my mom was drawing a pig. i looked the other way and saw the picture of pig turned into a picture of goat. i woke up.

D/N: - not my school. unknown places
- my mom can't draw
- why would she draw in a place like that?
- the picture changed

note that the picture of key is meant for me to write the main keys of that dream, so you the chance of remembering my dream in detail is bigger since it's the first thing i write. and when i want to read my dream journal again, i can recall which dream is which fast without reading the whole thing.

D/N is dream note

after some routine of writing dream journal like this, you will eventually be more aware to unusual things. most of my LD is not because of reality check, but because i recognize dream signs and meditation. at the back of the book, i write the dream signs that appears the most, like

Dream Signs
-unknown people
-unknown places
-sky
-etc

hehe well i hope that helps, it's my own way to write dream journal though. sorry if it's too long :D

Kal

Postby Kal » 22 Aug 2012 22:46

I know the feeling, Ivanna - I seem to have the same problem. I would guess that when you're reality-checking during the day, you need to check more deeply.

Instead of just asking myself:

"Am I dreaming?"

I am asking myself specific questions like:

"Is this location normal?"
"Have I seen anyone today that I don't normally see?"
"Are other people behaving normally?"
"Can I see my hands clearly?"

I'm hoping it will help me! Maybe it will help you too.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 24 Aug 2012 01:30

Ivanna wrote:So what I really want to know is how do you actually start to question things in dreams?

The best way to learn to question things in dreams is to practice questioning them during waking time. The idea is to establish in your mind that you could be dreaming at any time. But of course you have to really believe it. At first, I thought that I believed I could be dreaming at any time, but realized later that deep down I was convinced I could tell when I was dreaming so never took it completely seriously. What I didn't have a full appreciation for was that dreams are incredibly real and pretty much impossible to tell from waking life. Even during my lucid dreams I am still doubting that they are dreams, even when I am sure. Having said that, there is still a certain amount of luck involved in becoming lucid. So keep trying and you'll hit it sooner or later.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”