Best dream journal?

Discuss external aids which help you lucid dream including brainwave entrainment, supplements and herbs, lucid dream masks, and more.
1Mike

Best dream journal?

Postby 1Mike » 27 Apr 2011 09:22

The first step seems to be to start writing down your dreams. I would prefer an offline program - which one do you use?

Ludic

Re: Best dream journal?

Postby Ludic » 27 Apr 2011 10:19

I'd recommend using a pen and regular paper, it's easier to use and computer things could be distracting.
Artistic stuff ; www.ludic-sama.deviantart.com

Jonathan

Postby Jonathan » 27 Apr 2011 17:19

Pen and paper is always a nice choice, but if you prefer to use your computer, I recommend free software like Dark Room to help you focus on writing and not get distracted by other things.

You can download Dark Room for free here: http://bit.ly/3VEj1R

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 28 Apr 2011 05:21

I keep a notebook next to my bed and write down my dreams when I wake up.

Once you start moving around, more motor neurons fire in your brain, overwriting the memories of dreams which can quickly fade if you don't cement them - either by thinking, writing or talking about them. You can also start to get distracted by thoughts about the day ahead - and the dream is gone!

If I waited til I got to my computer I would be far too distracted to write down my dreams.... :?

But if a computer works for you, do it! (Just remember to make backups!)

dtommy79

Postby dtommy79 » 30 Apr 2011 20:42

So how do you write your journal?

Do you write down everything as detailed as possible?

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 01 May 2011 00:04

Here are my tips for keeping a dream journal:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/dream-journal.html

PaulG

Postby PaulG » 06 May 2011 13:38

To start with, I plan to make a few brief notes should I wake up and remember a dream during the night which will hopefully aid my recall first thing in the morning for transferring to a journal. For this purpose I have just taken delivery of something called the Nite Note which can be viewed here

http://www.nitenote.com/

Maybe not an ideal dedicated dream journal, but good for taking notes. Although I wouldn't say it's heavy, it is a little bit bulky but has some good features. When you remove the pen a light comes on automatically and goes of when you replace the pen, so you don't have to fiddle about with switches. The compartment where the pen is placed (at the top) is a bit of a tight fit and as the surface of the pen is very smooth, so it does take a very slight effort to remove and replace the pen. The pen has a pressurized cartridge and specially formulated ink and works at any angle (even upside down). The pen was developed initially for NASA astronauts. Comes with a spare notepad and runs on two AA batteries (not included).

At first I want to see how these slight interruptions in my sleep cycle, by taking brief notes, affects my performance the next day. If I start to become lucid sometime later I may well start taking more detailed notes (even during the night), either via the Note Night or directly into my journal, which will obviously take a bit longer, but if it doesn't affect my performance the next day, will probably stick with that. Maybe not every night, but will see how I go.

Wolvendeer

Postby Wolvendeer » 06 May 2011 15:25

Pen and paper is always good, but I use Catch Notes during the night and then transcribe them into a forum DJ in the morning. For an offline DJ program, I would recommend Liquid Dream (http://www.lucid-code.com/LiquidDream/) hands down.

Dreamsphere

Postby Dreamsphere » 15 May 2011 18:38

Coming from a noob, this is how I did my best entry so far. As I was falling asleep, I kept repeating to myself "I will remember my dreams" then when I woke up about 6 or 7 and a half hours later, I could recall many details. I don't know how, but while I was still very sleepy, but not quite awake, I grabbed my journal and pen and scribbled as much as I could remember in first person present tense. I then slept again, but didn't remember... I don't know what the key is to recall, maybe repetition?
I am an Engineering student, and have yet to experience a lucid dream. Currently on break, I am hoping to try and master the technique as it will give me some peace during the busy school year. Any advice or links are appreciated. Feel free to pm me.

1Mike

Postby 1Mike » 15 May 2011 23:56

Wow, thanks Wolvendeer! I will definitely be going with Liquid Dream. Can't believe I didn't find it in my searches!

It had an exercise in it where you have to think about everything you did during the day backwards as you are falling asleep. Like watching a movie in fast rewind mode. I did that last night and had the longest most detailed dream of my life! Give that a try Dreamsphere.

Return to “Lucid Dream Aids”