Need help/advice with reality checks!

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Intrepid

Need help/advice with reality checks!

Postby Intrepid » 02 Jul 2011 16:57

I've had very vivid and strange dreams for years now. In fact, yesterday I had a very clear and stable dream within a dream for the first time. I'm not sure if it's because of reading so many threads on this site that's got my mind thinking about dreams again in depth. This is the first time since my teenage years that I've been concentrating on dreaming and lucid dreaming. Currently reading Robert Waggoner's "Lucid Dreaming: A guide to the Inner Self" and I've been consciously trying to tell myself "take control of your dreams, you're dreaming", etc, and looking at my hands during my waking hours in attempt to have a RC moment to attain lucidity. However, I get the feeling that my mind just accepts any insane situation that is dreamt due to years of crazy, vivid dreams. This is only the second week of my concentrated efforts, however.
Should I persist in what I'm doing? Am I doing something wrong? I feel like my mind has an amazing platform to start lucid dreaming steadily again, but I've clearly missed many, many RC opportunities. IE: not noticing that I was in a 2-level dream along side cast members from Lost, seeing and talking about helicopters(I'm a heli pilot) and using my camera(also a photographer)..all in-dream. any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Layne

rdubya

Re: Need help/advice with reality checks!

Postby rdubya » 02 Jul 2011 22:11

How often are you setting your waking reality checks? they need to become second nature ... people who had trouble with getting their RC to click in have reported success by setting an alarm to go off every x amount of minutes. you basically train your brain to reality check every say..30 minutes. then if your 30 minutes comes into play during a vivid dream, you'll snap it into a LD. And after that it just gets easier and easier.

Peter

Postby Peter » 03 Jul 2011 00:07

Keep at it but don’t be obsessive about it. To me a LD in not an accomplishment or a goal that needs to be achieved and an end in itself but one more step to I don’t know where. I have the same issue with vivid dreams, they have been a part of my life since a child and are so bizarre but so normal that I don’t get the signs. These dreams are still very important and I feel that any insights I get for normal life come from these vivid dreams. I call these insights a result of organic thinking as I feel the logic in a vivid dream is different from waking and less awareness of the thinking process but just as effective for left brain problem solving.
Enjoy the vivid dreams, relax and a LD will come in its own time.
I am still putting some thought into how to realize I am dreaming when bizarre seems normal and will keep you posted

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Intrepid

Postby Intrepid » 03 Jul 2011 15:20

Thank you for responding. :)
I'll be continuing to practice waking RC's along with the WILD technique.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”