3 years in a dream???

Share your most awesome, bizarre or lifelike dreams of the non-lucid variety. Tell us about your weirdest nightmares and false awakenings.
alteredstates

3 years in a dream???

Postby alteredstates » 27 Aug 2012 12:48

Hmm i know this one is new even for a non-lucid dream..but yeah it happened...i basically went to bed as usual and nowadays I've been realizing that my dreams have been lasting longer in the sense that the scenes drag on and on almost like it's really happening in waking reality.. I even go to bed and wake up and everything, not like a false awakening because I'm not lucid dreaming..

Today i remember getting up around 7ish in the morning then going to sleep again and I can't remember if i had 2 dreams in 3 hours..but this dream i had..it seemed to have lasted 3 years..??? I'm only going to focus on main parts and make this as short and sweet as I can.

I am living in what looks like a poverty stricken village (looks like where some of family; the maternal side, lives in Africa) with siblings who are 3 people i know in waking reality and attend university with and 2 older black women who were looking after us. There were some other members too. We had a bit of an unstable relationship since the siblings picked at me a lot in the dream, making me feel a bit scapegoated...ha..(might represent my insecurities?)

I remember going to bed and i can't remember if i woke up again in the same house or I woke up in a hospital but like I said this dream did "drag on." "Some time passed" in the dream sense, and I returned to the ”village” and I saw the older women I was living with and one of them gave me like £4.50 !!!! lol! After all this time I've been away ... :D which shows how "broke" they really are in the true sense of the word. I asked one of the ladies who was standing inside a small stall, ”How long has It been??” And she said, “3 years!” nonchalantly. Dafuq haha and I asked her if the others ever came to visit (i can’t remember where they went since they didn't really keep in contact)…
I think they left home and the lady said no they haven’t been to visit for 3 years and I saw that nothing had changed since I left “home” everything was still the same..there was machinery everywhere in the verandah and benches and it was still dirty and grotty and I asked them if they ever went back inside the house and they said no they sleep outside now (lol)..It was raining and I was wondering how they coped with the elements…interesting but sad dream and sad ending..there was a feeling of abandonment in the air…the fact that your own children wouldn’t come and visit you for 3 years when they know you are living in poor conditions :(

torakrubik

Re: 3 years in a dream???

Postby torakrubik » 27 Aug 2012 23:20

Interesting post.

You say, "some time passed" in the dream sense. I know just what you mean, you just get a feeling that you have been in the dream for much longer than time passes in waking reality. This would probably explain the reply you got from the woman: "3 years!", as you expected a significant time shift.

This morning when i woke up, i checked the time, then drifted into several dream scenes, which contained events that appeared to last for a good few hours, between several false awakenings. Upon returning to waking reality, I checked the time to find that barely 20 minutes had passed. I cannot believe that so much had happened in my dreams whilst so little time had passed in waking reality. This episode, amongst others, has made me begin to suspect that time in waking reality and time in dreams run very differently. It would be great to see some scientific research done into this phenomenon :)
Dreaming is my drug

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 28 Aug 2012 10:43

Did you actually experience the 3 years of the dream, or did it seem like the story of the dream was made out to be 3 years?
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

alteredstates

Postby alteredstates » 28 Aug 2012 11:48

torakrubik wrote:Interesting post.

You say, "some time passed" in the dream sense. I know just what you mean, you just get a feeling that you have been in the dream for much longer than time passes in waking reality. This would probably explain the reply you got from the woman: "3 years!", as you expected a significant time shift.

This morning when i woke up, i checked the time, then drifted into several dream scenes, which contained events that appeared to last for a good few hours, between several false awakenings. Upon returning to waking reality, I checked the time to find that barely 20 minutes had passed. I cannot believe that so much had happened in my dreams whilst so little time had passed in waking reality. This episode, amongst others, has made me begin to suspect that time in waking reality and time in dreams run very differently. It would be great to see some scientific research done into this phenomenon :)

Yes you're right...it's a tough question to answer! My belief is that in a dream you are in a different reality; outside of this waking physical reality, or maybe exploring your own subconscious which gives you the sense that you are exploring other worlds when you are really exploring a deeper part of yourself..I know the two ideas are conflicting and I'm trying to decide which part of us the subconscious is (maybe it's a part of our soul and maybe it's in a higher plane or higher consciousness too to this physical one so the laws of physics don't apply there and need not )..Yes you're right it would be very interesting for science to give "spirit science" , metaphysics and other non-mainstream topics about the universe and existence a chance but would it?? I think it's possible though to investigate since Robert Monroe did take part in experiments and write a lot about OBEs and the human mind and was very scientific minded, but the sad thing is I wouldn't have known about Monroe or Peterson had it not been from a spiritual friend I speak to on facebook sending me a folder full of e-books on OBE.

The same could be said for lucid dreams., OBEs and astral projection..the same limitations we have in the physical body such as the concept of time and space do not apply in those realms that's why everything manifests so quickly and you can do whatever you want. It really makes you think doesn't it?? This has got to be the densest reality of them all if you can't fly and bend your body at will to avoid crashing into an object or manifesting things takes like 2 years but in a dream it takes 2 seconds..? Or what if this reality would be like that if people changed their concepts? In a dream you expect "weird things" to happen so it happens and in lucid dreams same and even astral projection even more amped up and same thing according to accounts anything that happens is what you expect... Some say we are experiencing all these at different levels of consciousness whereas others say you experience them outside the body. According to some beliefs we have an energy (OBEs?) and spiritual body (astral projection?) in addition to the physical and others also say we also have a mental and emotional body too. One thing that strikes me though and might support this is a passage from Robert Peterson's book OUT OF BODY EXPERIENCES at the bottom of 24 to first line of page 25: "
Somehow i was awake and asleep at the same time! What happened next is hard to describe. My consciousness was split into five parts. Each part was separate and unique, yet I was each of them simultaneously. Each was thinking its own thoughts, and communicating with the other four. All five of "me" were arguing about the computer game and how to make it better! The feeling was beyond words: I was five personalities at the same time and I was talking to myself! One of my five selves asked, "Well, how can we make the spacewar game better?" Another "me" said, "Well, I think we should allow more interactive communication between space ships." Yet another "me" replied, "No, I think it's more important to improve the fighting ability of the computer-controlled opponent ships." One of my five selves was bored to tears watching this whole conversation and tried to force itself to consciousness. Now that "I" was conscious, I was fascinated at what was happening: I was conscious and split into five parts and each of them were taking turns talking. At first I tried to follow the conversation, but something strange started happening. As I became more conscious, my four other selves seemed to speed up! I tried to keep up with the conversation, but the talking became faster and faster. Soon they sounded like a tape player in fast-forward mode, and I lost track of what they were saying.

Based on what I have read about our bodies in spiritual articles my guess is the 5 parts were:
Etheric/energy
Emotional
Mental
Astral (not sure about this one)
Spiritual bodies of Peterson.
When i had OBEs i was told i was in the etheric/energy body..am not sure if this is the same for dreams..anyway yeah would be nice to experience first hand "evidence" of this but I'm not denying the existence since we DO have emotions, and thoughts that we cannot perceive in this reality.

alteredstates

Postby alteredstates » 28 Aug 2012 12:04

Jack Reacher wrote:Did you actually experience the 3 years of the dream, or did it seem like the story of the dream was made out to be 3 years?

I have no idea Jack Reacher! I don't think there was a planned "story" since the dream was occurring simultaneously and since I wasn't lucid I wasn't in control to be honest. I haven't had a dream like that before which is why I was intrigued. I had a sense that time passed and I had some "missing time" or a gap and and cannot remember much of my time at the hospital..I probably would have if i was lucid or if I had a calendar nearby :P . Maybe i was visited by siblings ..?hmm I remember maybe having visitors but that's all i remember about being at the hospital. All i know is next minute I find myself returning to the village. But I didn't literally feel like I'd been at the hospital for years...didn't have several false awakenings or anything but I was told I was by the dream character so I guess I was..? :P haha...

Return to “Share Your Non-Lucid Dreams”