weird strangling feeling (and some other stuff)

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.

weird strangling feeling (and some other stuff)

Postby missjohnglitter » 28 Aug 2012 16:14

I'm a 20 year old girl (woman?) and I've been reading about lucid dreaming for a while (about 4 months), and I've tried some thing like keeping a dream-journal, reality checks and meditation. I've sort of had lucid dreams three times in the last few weeks. The first one I had was the most memorable. It was really short, but it started with me asking all the other people in the dream if this was a dream. After a while I thought I was crazy, but then I realized that I could actually check it and by looking a digital clock (wich just appeared for this purpose) and I realized I was dreaming. I got really excited and asked Mila Kunis if she knew this was a dream. She looked me like I was crazy.

I actually started to get a little freaked out and started jumping up and down, it felt like I was in space. I then felt a strangling feeling around my throat. I've always been a bit afraid of sleep paralysis, so I got really freaked out and thought I had to wake up. I'd heard that by holding your breath you'd be able to wake up, so still jumping I tried to hold my breath (it was difficult). The scene started to get blurry like on an old videotape and everything felt really hectic. Then I just opened my eyes in my bed. I kinda thought that I'd be trashing around, out of breath and sweaty but i just opened my eyes and everything was still.

The next time wasn't so clear, I pretty fast fell out of the lucid dream and it turned a bit nightmarish with the strangling feeling around my throat again. Last night I think I had my most succesfull lucid dream yet. I can't remember it well, but remember it was great. It was either a lucid dream or a really cool dream about me having a lucid dream. I remember changing the dream from night to day, when I thought the darkness was scary. I was also able to summon people (Mila Kunis again, I don't know what's with that) and play music i wanted to on the background. I think there was a party of some kind and I had a lot of conversations with the dreamcharacters, but I woke up at some point and fell asleep again so my memories of the dream are hazy. But this time I didn't have the strangling feeling at any point.

So, here are my questions: What is the strangling feeling and what could I do about it? And how do I tell the difference between a lucid dream and a dream about a lucid dream? I've been doing my dream-journal on video, because when I wrote it down I couldn't read it afterwards because my handwriting is awful. I also feel I can be more specific when i can just talk to the camera, but would it be better to write it down?

Sorry for blabbering on for so long. And sorry if my english is bad, it's not my native language.

Lucid Dreamer

Re: weird strangling feeling (and some other stuff)

Postby Lucid Dreamer » 28 Aug 2012 16:56

for if you should write down your dreams or not, have you ever had to memorize something in school and writing it down helped? same here. it is easier for your brain to recollect and analyze the dream if it is written down.

the strangling feeling, well i think that it is just your excitement taking over. what you can do is just take a deep breath, and relax.

i had the having a dream about a lucid dream before too. i mean, i am still confused about it today. im really not sure if i was actually semi lucid, or i had a dream about it.just do alot of reality checks. say to yourself, i am dreaming! outloud. then it is most likely that you will be lucid.

hoped i could help!
"All men whilst they are awake are in one common world: but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own." ~Plutarch

Re: weird strangling feeling (and some other stuff)

Postby Kal » 29 Aug 2012 09:59

I don't know about the strangling feeling, but I wanted to comment on writing your dreams down vs making a video etc.

What's important is that you do what works for you. For some people, writing things down helps them to remember it. For other people, writing doesn't help at all and is a waste of time. People learn and memorize in different ways. So if you feel like your videos are a good way of recording your dreams then keep at it. You can always experiment with different ways if you are unsure.

Return to “For Beginners”