OBE vs. Lucid vs. Astral Project

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
KylePK

OBE vs. Lucid vs. Astral Project

Postby KylePK » 29 Aug 2012 06:40

Hey everyone! I've been doing some research on astral projection (which sounds badasss) and of course I have noticed that it is incredibly similar to lucid dreaming, as is the process used to induce it. Also, I am confused as to what the difference between an OBE and a lucid dream is, because the article written about it on this website didn't clarify it for me at all really lol it made the two sound identical.So basically I would just like to hear everyone and anyone's thoughts on the three of these phenomenon and their relation to each other. I'd like to get all of this sorted out so I can focus on one of them (assuming lucid dreaming since it is obviously real, not miss-perceived as astral projecting may be). Please include any evidence you can, since I can find groundless opinions all over the internet. For example, youtube videos strongly saying astral projection is LEGIT, and others talking about it in a way that sounds exactly like a dream.
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

Peter

Re: OBE vs. Lucid vs. Astral Project

Postby Peter » 29 Aug 2012 09:13

My experience is my only guide and that tells me that they are all different ways to enter a Lucid dream. They start off appearing different by in short time I am in a dream, either that or I have never had all three experiences
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 29 Aug 2012 15:59

It is my opinion that they are all lucid dreams, but the difference is how vivid they are and how aware you are of your physical body during the experience.

I've had lucid dreams that are very much a dream state. I don't feel like I have a body and am watching and controlling it much like watching a television.

Then there are others that feel like I am in a different dimension. I can touch things, hold things. All my senses are activated and I meet people that seem sentient and live in that realm. (Which may be labeled as astral projection)

However, I think they are all forms of lucid dreaming and the different words to label them are used to describe how intense the 'reality' of it can be.

I've never had an out of body experience though. I have become lucid while in bed before though and gotten up and walked around, but that is more like a lucid false awakening. I looked back at my bed and didn't see a body or anything. And I keep hearing about a 'silver embilical cord' that other OBE'ers say connects you to your physical body, but I don't know if that happens to everybody.

In conclusion, I think they are labels to describe the intensity and style of the lucid dream experience. And it could be cultural as well. Different cultures have different wording for it all.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 29 Aug 2012 20:06

Thats what I have been thinking too. I am hoping that somebody will post on here about how they think they are DIFFERENT, because I would like that perspective too. I'm just curious how in an Astral Projection attempt, nobody reality checks or anything lol.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 30 Aug 2012 05:07

KylePK wrote:I'm just curious how in an Astral Projection attempt, nobody reality checks or anything lol.

I am no expert and my opinions are groundless (which I know you don't want...)

But if you have a WAKE INDUCED LUCID DREAM (which I suppose expert astral projecters do) than there is no need to do a reality check. It's pretty obvious because there was no lapse in consciousness.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 30 Aug 2012 05:28

KylePK wrote:But if you have a WAKE INDUCED LUCID DREAM (which I suppose expert astral projecters do) than there is no need to do a reality check. It's pretty obvious because there was no lapse in consciousness.

I've only had no lapse in consciousness once and to me that was the best lucid dream experience. Yes there is no need to do an reality check, you never have a question about the fact you are dreaming. But I've lots of other WILD experiences where there was a brief lapse. That's also really cool too because you "pop" right into a 3D, high definition, color world in a split second. I do an RC, but it's hardly needed.

It's hard to say which is better, but I think when there are two distinct things going on separately: 1. The dream 2. The conscious observer. And each goes on independant of the other, then you must say this is at least an out-of-body experience.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 30 Aug 2012 06:49

HAGART wrote: But if you have a WAKE INDUCED LUCID DREAM (which I suppose expert astral projecters do) than there is no need to do a reality check. It's pretty obvious because there was no lapse in consciousness.
But a reality check in an Astral Projection would do nothing if it was indeed an true Astral Projection and not a Lucid Dream, so you would know you weren't just dreaming; you would know you were indeed outside your body in spiritual or pure-consciousness form and free to roam the astral realm.

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 30 Aug 2012 06:51

lucidinthe sky wrote: It's hard to say which is better, but I think when there are two distinct things going on separately: 1. The dream 2. The conscious observer. And each goes on independant of the other, then you must say this is at least an out-of-body experience.

Yes! That clears up OBE vs Lucid Dream for me. Kinda sucks though, being out of body but merely observing. I still have a hard time myth busting astral projection though. I know people who swear it is completely different than lucid dreaming.

Peter

Postby Peter » 30 Aug 2012 08:43

they want it to be as if fits some belief system and spirtual practise. Thats their issue and not based in the reality that I live in
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 30 Aug 2012 23:31

Peter wrote:they want it to be as if fits some belief system and spirtual practise. Thats their issue and not based in the reality that I live in

I take it you're referring to "astral projection". If so, I completely agree. I think it's possible to have these experiences, but they are your own and you are in your own reality frame, just like you are during a dream. Still interesting, but people need to go easy on the outrageous unproven claims.

As far as I know, no one has proven that they can interact with the physical world that we all know during one of these so-called astral projection experiences. As far as I know, no one has succesfully proven it to be possible.

I'd like to believe that maybe when we leave this life we will able to travel to other dimensions, or create them, who knows. No one has been able to report back so we'll just have to wait and see.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”