Very confused

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
beadietux

Very confused

Postby beadietux » 27 Aug 2012 19:18

Last night, I had a strange experience that I would like to share and get any insight about. I vividly remember becoming lucid and quickly realizing that it was sleep paralysis (had this all my life before I ever knew what lucid dreaming is)...I couldn't move my body but everything I was seeing was as if my body's eyes were open. So, I became aware that it was sleep paralysis, but instead of doing what I have planned on doing in the event of this happening (which was to explore and see what I could do), I just thought, "Oh, well, this is just my room and there's nothing interesting here, so I'll just go back to sleep because I can't move anyway." Then I woke up later and was like "Why did I do that??!!" I feel like if I had really been conscious, then I wouldn't have done that - I would have chosen to explore. So maybe I wasn't really lucid? Maybe I was just dreaming that I was lucid...is that possible?

Thanks,
Jennifer

Shadow

Re: Very confused

Postby Shadow » 27 Aug 2012 22:07

Wait i'm confused. You say you were lucid and then you realized you had sleep paralysis. When you become lucid you're dreaming. When you have sleep paralysis your're awake.

beadietux

Postby beadietux » 28 Aug 2012 00:18

Oh, then I must even more confused than I thought! I thought that sleep paralysis is when your consciousness is awake but your body is still in the paralysis state of REM sleep - the state that protects us from acting out our dreams...is that not the case? From what I've read, it sounds like sleep paralysis is just a form of lucid dreaming. Am I truly awake if my physical eyes are closed yet I can see my room as it is in real life? But I can't move my body at all? That's what I experience. I've had it my whole life, and it's always been very frightening...I first assume that something major is wrong...that I'm in a coma or something. Then I remember that it has happened before, and that if I just go to sleep, it will be okay and I will wake up. That's how I dealt with it before ever learning about the terms "lucid dreaming" and "sleep paralysis."

Shadow

Postby Shadow » 28 Aug 2012 21:22

Your partially right. Right your body is asleep to protect you from acting out your dreams. Sometimes our body thinks were asleep but we're actually not. Mind awake body asleep. With practice you can even trick your body into going into sleep paralysis.
beadietux wrote:I thought that sleep paralysis is when your consciousness is awake but your body is still in the paralysis state of REM sleep
Sleep paralysis happens when your awake. If you were in rem you would be asleep. It sounds like your experiencing a false awakening. http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/false-awakenings.html

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 30 Aug 2012 06:28

Shadow wrote:When you have sleep paralysis your're awake.

No. I've had sleep paralysis before and I was clearly asleep. At least I hope I was, because I had to fight a shadow figure with tendrils that were grabbing me. However, I was eventually able to move so maybe it wasn't true sleep paralysis.

beadietux wrote:but everything I was seeing was as if my body's eyes were open.

I've had that before. I call it 'transparent eyelids'. A few weeks ago I was in a hypnogogic state after a lucid dream and I was able to remain still and I felt myself sink and I entered a lucid dream again. When that one ended I tried to do it again, but I didn't sink or pop into another lucid dream. I just laid in bed waiting. Then I realized I could see my bed through my eyes and wondered if I was already asleep and didn't know it. I looked around and sure enough things were amiss and I realized I was already asleep. I simply got up, walked to a glass sliding door nearby, stepped out and flew around. My lucid dream started from there. So if that ever happens again, and you can get up, do so and walk around. You might have to do a reality check or just try to notice if anything about your surroundings are odd or out of place. And you don't even have to leave your 'dream house'. Some of my best lucid dreams (or perhaps lucid false awakening) all take place in my home.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

beadietux

Postby beadietux » 02 Oct 2012 23:14

Thanks for your reply, Hagart. I just now saw it. It's good to hear that others have experienced this as well.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”