What technique do you recommend?

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.

What technique do you recommend?

Postby Niamoi » 08 Jul 2011 04:14

I would love to have a lucid dream. I read on this website that there are many techniques, but that the WILD technique is the one to use to have the best results and have more vivid dreams. I tried it, relaxing and everything and reached an early state of Hypnagogic Imagery (I guess? Some very faint lights were appearing in front of my eyes.) but I can't go any further. I tried for about a month over and over again, mostly at night and a little bit in the morning.

I recently started to use the "binaural beats" soundtrack, which works very well to relax my body very fast, but I can't reach any of the other steps to finally have a lucid dream.

I was wondering if I was going too fast. Should I try a different technique before returning to this one?

Thank you in advance!

P.S.: I started doing a dream journal, but I can't remember most of my dreams yet. Is it too soon to start trying to have a lucid dream?

Re: What technique do you recommend?

Postby Peter » 08 Jul 2011 05:00

try making entries in the journel from the day as well, things that have an impact on you - say a cup of coffee that tasted or smelt better that normal of some food that was better that expected to your senses. IF you build on the emotional triggers you may find that they will be what you remember in your dreams as well and the dream recall will come from that.

Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Postby Niamoi » 12 Jul 2011 05:50

Thanks for the advice, Peter! I'll try to do that in the future. :)

Postby rdubya » 12 Jul 2011 15:31

Well, remember Lucid Dreams mainly occur after our Delta stage of sleep, meaning you will get it later in the night. Most of the binaural beats help get your mind into the sleepy state quicker, but don't necessarily have you enter a LD. Peter made a good suggestion as it will help let train your subconcious to know your dreams are now important to you. Keep doing reality checks as well, you'll have one when your mind is ready. It is never really "too soon" to try to have one, it is all part of the training and it will happen when you are ready, but don't be disappointed if it takes longer than expected.

Postby Bleekman117 » 09 Aug 2011 23:33

For me, the best technique is the WBTB combined with the timer method. If you don't know what the timer method is then look it up on the website, I'm sure its there.
The mind is a beautiful thing

Postby fineganswaker » 10 Aug 2011 01:32

Yeah, I'd say you're well on your way with the dream journal alone. And all good advices: WBTB, timer method, day entries in the journal, etc.

You might want to pick up Stephen LaBerge's book (inexpensive mass market paperback). He's kind of the godfather of lucid dreaming and there's a lot info on technique and exercises for all this kind of stuff (chapters on MILD and WILD, for example).

As far as recall, yeah, that can be tough sometimes--but it's the essential, crucial first step towards lucid dreaming. Setting a timer might jump start you, but it can be tricky to synch the timer to your REM cycles.

If you tend to wake up naturally a couple of times during the night, try to get in the habit of asking yourself what you just dreamed as soon as you wake up. Really try to think that thought--and try to physically move as little as possible. It's an odd process because you don't want to force the recall. That'll often just push the dream farther away. But, usually something fleeting will come back: an image or a feeling or and idea--something. Concentrate on that and maybe breathe into it.

It can be a little frustrating at first, but keep at it. I should know--for weeks I kept missing asking myself what I'd just dreamed on waking. But if you keep at it, after a while it'll almost become second nature.

Tim Post's site Lucidipedia (http://www.lucidipedia.com/) has some online videos that really helped me get a handle on the ideas behind some of these techniques. What's more--some of 'em actually worked for me.

Once you start getting a handle on recall, you won't believe how much stuff there is to consider in just your non-lucid dreams alone.

Postby Ryan » 10 Aug 2011 04:13

One of the most effective "after sleep" methods I've ever manage to use is that of training yourself, when upon waking you don't move a muscle nor open your eyes. In essence you wake up with your eyes closed.

I can usually only seem to manage it when I'm coming out of a lucid or astral awareness experience, because I can tell when I'm waking up... but you can train yourself to do it while coming out of normal sleep/dream.

So when you wake up with your eyes closed and body still, if you just lie there it shouldn't take long before you feel the shift back into the non-physical... and from there, enjoy! :)
For more information, please visit my website
Or join my forums!

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”