Explain what's going on? Lucid? Can you help Rebecca also?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Untouchable

Explain what's going on? Lucid? Can you help Rebecca also?

Postby Untouchable » 06 Sep 2012 14:19

For 2 days I have been trying the WBTB method. I also took some supplements on the second round of the suggested method. For example, I go to sleep at 10pm, wake up at 3:45 am, take Choline Bitartre, B12, DMAE, B6, Fish Oil, write in my journal what I dream t before I got up, lay down and use affirmations and go to back to sleep and then wake up at 6:30 am.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: ...Now here is what i get confused on. When I do go back to sleep I am dreaming and all of a sudden I say to myself, Am I dreaming and then all of a sudden I get to do certain thing like make money appear out of nowhere and float, as well as getting some enchanced human abilites. But the problem is the Vividness that people say lucidity brings. It doesn't feel like waking life lucidity although it is vivid. On a 1 -10 scale I would say probably like a 4.5 - 5. That was the first night.

..... :?: :?: :?: .The Second night I did the same identical thing and again I caught myself asking am I dreaming and I again had some control over certain things. I wanted to conversate with my subconscious and I used a stuffed animal I had as a child as the dream character but when I asked it questions it would elude some of them or give me half answers. I was able to do other things like fly and little things. Not fully but somewhat... but again... THE VIVIDNESS as waking life was a mere 4 - 5.

I am wondering if this is what is called lucidity or what is it? I don't think its FULL but somewhat somewhere but nowhere what people seem to describe as far as awareness from the consciousness.

Bleekman117

Re: Explain what's going on? Lucid? Can you help Rebecca als

Postby Bleekman117 » 06 Sep 2012 18:03

Don't be worried, this is a common problem people have when first starting out. There are different levels of lucidity. Keep practicing and your vividness should start to improve. However, when you get into the lucid dream, try rubbing your hands together, spinning around, doing math in your head. You can even yell out to your dream and demand clarity. Look up "How to stay lucid" on the main cite. Rebecca gives you a list of ways to keep your lucidity high.
The mind is a beautiful thing

Untouchable

Postby Untouchable » 06 Sep 2012 18:41

I actually did those suggestions and it really didn't improve much.. the spinning like a top, the rubbing, I even yelled GIVE ME CLARITY NOW... like a mad man... I am just trying to get an understanding of where exactly I am if I was lucid or what is it called.

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 07 Sep 2012 00:02

Hmm, well I'm not really sure whats going on. It sounds like you are definitely lucid and not in some sort of half-lucidness. I'm not really sure what is going on; I have never heard of this happening and not being able to fix it with what i already said... My advice would be to just keep practicing. Try and call your dream guide and ask him/her why this is happening. Your own subconscious can yield answers that I would never be able to give you. Let me know if that works!
I'll let you know if I come across anything else that could solve this problem.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 07 Sep 2012 00:55

Untouchable wrote:I actually did those suggestions and it really didn't improve much.. the spinning like a top, the rubbing, I even yelled GIVE ME CLARITY NOW... like a mad man... I am just trying to get an understanding of where exactly I am if I was lucid or what is it called.

I've had this experience too and still do. Most of my first lucid dreams were short and lacked stability regardless of what I did. The tricks to stabilized dreams worked, but just kind of reved up the dream momentarily, then they went back to what they were. Then I started having some really solid lucid dreams that were really in a different class altogether. They required no effort to stabilize them and I could tell they were going to stay solid and vivid for a while and anything short of me deciding to wake up would not change much. In some of them I actually just got tired and decided to wake up. So I would suggest just being patient and keep at it, focus on the times after 5-6 hours of sleep when you have your best chances of high quality LDs. And keep us posted on the progress!
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 07 Sep 2012 03:34

Lucidity and Vividness are two different things.
Some lucid dreams can be vague even though you are 100% sure it is a dream.
And some non lucid dreams can be extremely vivid.

I've never had a lucid dream that was 100% vivid as waking life. (at least not visually)
And dream characters are irrational beings that say the darndest things sometimes....
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 07 Sep 2012 05:25

I've quite a few lucid dreams that were not that vivid, but some that were incredibly vivid to the same detail as waking life, real to the touch even. So much time in some of those dreams was spent in utter amazement, unwilling to even believe it was happening they were so intensly vivid and real.

That's the main reason I do it is to be blown away with the realism, I could care less about controlling anything, just exploring the new world is enough for me. I love after waking up and remembering all of those doubts I had about whether it was dream. Feels good for at least a day, sometimes more.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Untouchable

Postby Untouchable » 07 Sep 2012 19:41

lucidinthe sky wrote:
Untouchable wrote:I actually did those suggestions and it really didn't improve much.. the spinning like a top, the rubbing, I even yelled GIVE ME CLARITY NOW... like a mad man... I am just trying to get an understanding of where exactly I am if I was lucid or what is it called.

I've had this experience too and still do. Most of my first lucid dreams were short and lacked stability regardless of what I did. The tricks to stabilized dreams worked, but just kind of reved up the dream momentarily, then they went back to what they were. Then I started having some really solid lucid dreams that were really in a different class altogether. They required no effort to stabilize them and I could tell they were going to stay solid and vivid for a while and anything short of me deciding to wake up would not change much. In some of them I actually just got tired and decided to wake up. So I would suggest just being patient and keep at it, focus on the times after 5-6 hours of sleep when you have your best chances of high quality LDs. And keep us posted on the progress!

I think this hits it on the nose. I am still a beginner so I may need more time but I definitely have had the lucidity just not the control and because they werent as vivid as waking life I dismissed them as semi lucid or just something gone wrong. I also wonder though how is it that a dream can be as vivid as waking life if you don't use your eyes to see. It's like as if in waking life things are HD but in my dreams i still get the pictures from an 80's color TV.

Peter

Postby Peter » 07 Sep 2012 21:16

the eyes you open are your dream eyes and they take some time to ajust but in some ways its still only an illusion as its possible to see in a 360 degrees at once so the eyes are just to make you feel comfortable and to relate the dream in a normal way for the senses. As you get deeper and deeper into the dream world so much changes in how you perceive the dream body and world. For me it just the same as daly life but I am connected in a different way. The senses are enhanced although this is not a good way to put it as you are connected to the dream rather that having a dream. Keep at it as it all comes in time
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 07 Sep 2012 22:56

Let me elaborate on how a lucid dream can feel so vivid and real.
We will start at the top.. When you are awake, you are seeing with your normal eyes; that is a given. But what you need to be able to grasp is that seeing is not really seeing (May be confusing, but stay with me).
Every single sense you have does not happen in and of itself. When you perceive something through your eyes, electronic signals called synapses fire in your brain. This lets you understand what you are seeing and, in a sense, enables you to actually "see". Same goes with hearing, taste, touch, and smell. All your sense are just receptors for your brain, so that it can translate and interpret what is around you.

Now, when you are in a dream, whether it is lucid or not, your brain and it's synapses are still functioning; however, now your brain doesn't have any reception from the outside world because you are in a dormant state. The only sense that stays remotely awake is your hearing, and that is just for survival reasons and is implanted in our DNA. But since your brain is still functioning without any outside influence, it has to create its own "senses" so to speak. Hence, this is where dreams come from. Your brain flies through all of it's memories and throws together a dream. This is why dreams can be so insane at some points. But I'm getting off track now :P

So the reason dreams, and especially lucid dreams, can feel so real is because, when it comes down to it, every single sense we have is regulated and, essentially, happens inside the brain. So when you are in a lucid dream, your brain takes what it already knows--because lets face it, everyone has touched a tree in their life--and perceives it to be real.

The best example ever given of how lucid dreams work is the movie "The Matrix". In the matrix, everything feels real, but it is not. It is all a computer program that is stimulating only the brain and tricking it into thinking it is awake. This is the same general concept as dreaming, only replace the computer that is controlling you with your own subconscious.

And that, my friends, is why dreaming can feel as real as waking life.
Catch all that? Haha

Return to “For Beginners”