A leap of faith

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
Jack Reacher

A leap of faith

Postby Jack Reacher » 08 Sep 2012 05:58

So after setting my alarm at 5:00 am for a few days but not having the will power to get out of bed for the WBTB, I decided to give it a rest and set my alarm to 7:00 am and get up early before work. I guess I was used to waking up at 5:00 am because I became aware around that time, but I never openend my eyes. I then opened my eyes but I wasnt sure if I was dreaming or not, I got out of bed but honestly couldnt tell if I was dreaming or if I was actually getting out of bed, there was literally no way to tell.

Everything looked exactly the same, the light was the same, I looked out my window and it felt the same as reality. But deep down I just had a feeling that it was a dream, that I never really had any control, I dont know how to describe it but I just new it was a dream. Without doing a reality check I stepped to my window ( my room is on the second floor) and stood at the window and jumped out... and flew away. It was quite a rush really to fully jump out and actually fly away, and at the same time I had this nagging thought saying what if it isnt a dream, what if its real and you are about to make a huge mistake.

So heres a question, do you think there is any risk in waking up one day and thinking you are dreaming, like in Inception? I personally dont think so, when I woke up for real after the dream you could immediately tell the difference and you just know 100% sure that its reality (well 99.99...----->oo), do you guys think there is any real risk? At the time in the dream it feels like this could actually be a problem worth considering, but in waking life I dont feel the need to at all simply because there are no recorded events of people dieing due to this kind of stuff.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Peter

Re: A leap of faith

Postby Peter » 08 Sep 2012 06:06

and at the same time I had this nagging thought saying what if it isnt a dream, what if its real and you are about to make a huge mistake

I did that a couple of weeks back, I was in a airport lounge and ran for the windows and through and away flying. At the time I was thinking headlines " Madman tries to jump through Auckland Koru Club window" it is so real.

The key is that I never think I am dreaming in waking life, the reality checks or scans or looking sesions I do are all firmly based in the waking world and I know this. In contrast when I am not sure if I am dreaming or not I am dreaming and I never confuse the two.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 08 Sep 2012 07:10

Peter wrote:The key is that I never think I am dreaming in waking life, the reality checks or scans or looking sesions I do are all firmly based in the waking world and I know this. In contrast when I am not sure if I am dreaming or not I am dreaming and I never confuse the two

Yes, uncertainty is only part of the dream reality, true and good point. I have also had times where I held back a little, "just in case" not because I wasn't sure it was a dream but because it was just so real, just couldn't quite get past the doubts and get myself to go all the way. But I love that aspect of it.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Peter

Postby Peter » 08 Sep 2012 08:05

yes its awesome and makes the experience so much better. I spend lots of time in what could be almost comparable to lucid dreams, in my home office in the early hours with a dimmed pc screen and darkness around me or driving at night and in the early hours. There is a surealness about some of these times that is close but I still have no doubts about the state.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 08 Sep 2012 10:20

Looking back on the dream it wasnt 100% reality, at the very start with me getting out of bed it was, but after that I recall feeling it was hard to move, like it was a real effort to get to the window. I guess that was part of me trying to control my own dream, to go flying instead of acting out whatever the dream had in store for me.

Anyway heres an extension of the story.

After having a lucid dream I woke up, lay in bed and tried to get another lucid dream. This failed but it was still a vivid dream and once again I was battling to figure out whether it was a dream or not. Only this time I was having lunch with my family and my cousins. I ended up getting stoned with my Uncle, I think I do this in these kind of dreams because it makes it harder for myself to determine whether its a dream or not. Its almost like as I get smarter, my subconscious has to keep up to make sure I dont catch on to things getting weird. For instance I saw a bunch of birds all flying in a row, and they were all flying on the spot, like they were glitched in a game. All of them just flying on the same spot over and over, like a buggy animation.

But since I thought I was stoned in the dream, I couldnt say for sure if it was a dream. I also couldnt say much to people around me. At one point I had a conversation about suicide with my Uncle, which became quite revealing but I wont go into it here. I remember I started asking people if it was a dream, I was sure it was a dream. My family looked at me strangely so I immediately confessed that I was high, to avoid looking crazy. I guess the social pressure of looking crazy dominated my rational thinking that it was a dream. I think you are more likely to realise it is a dream if you are by yourself, once you are in a social environment in a dream your thoughts are dominated by the context of the situation.

I think the dream ended with me getting more and more embarrased about being on drugs in front of my family, and I remember saying to my cousin " oh man I just really hope this is a dream, this better be a dream otherwise everyone will lose all respect for me after this, oh man wtf was I talking about birds flying on the spot for??!"

So yeah the relief when waking up felt pretty good.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Peter

Postby Peter » 08 Sep 2012 20:43

Its almost like as I get smarter, my subconscious has to keep up to make sure I dont catch on to things getting weird

You have got to love you SC - it has a wicked sense of humor

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”