A fool who plays it (too) cool?

How to control and prolong lucid dreams, increase the intensity, work with dream characters, and communicate with the subconscious.
fineganswaker

A fool who plays it (too) cool?

Postby fineganswaker » 09 Jul 2011 01:01

Just thought I'd drop a quick post about something that happened the other night I found quite interesting.

I won't go into detail about the dream itself, but at one point I spontaneously became lucid. I'm averaging about 3-4 LDs per month (which is pretty remarkable considering that, until just a few months ago, I would have one, like, maybe every five years or so!).

I've been reading up on things to do to stay lucid, and I guess some of it has seeped down, because the first thing I thought on becoming lucid was to "keep cool, baby--don't get too excited!"

So I consciously became Mr. Phlegmatic. Man, you could say I become Robert Mitchum himself in this dream.

The dream continues for a while, stays very vivid, and concludes nicely--and I recall more or less every detail of it upon waking. Except then I realized that right after I started to chill out I actually *lost* lucidity--it became just a very vivid dream but, no, I really can't say I was lucid any longer. About the best I can say is that it (sort of) turned into a dream about being lucid (and even that was only for a short while).

So, it seems to me that, like with most things in life and dreaming, there's a balance which must be struck. I honestly think I wasn't stoked enough about becoming lucid!

( Fall backward or fall forwards--one way or the other you're still falling... )

Anyway, just thought I'd share this. TIA for any feedback. Y'all have a good weekend too (it's Miller Time).

rdubya

Re: A fool who plays it (too) cool?

Postby rdubya » 11 Jul 2011 16:05

Yup, many of us can relate. It is not a full lucid dream, but there is still more awareness there than a vivid dream. I am not sure what triggers it or how, but there are times when you have complete control and other times you don't.

For example, last night I would say I entered this semi-lucid dream. I could control my thoughts. I remembered I wanted to will my higher self into the dream, and I demanded it. But in my dream, I was floating and the scene was pulling me the way it wanted to. I demanded control and demanded I land, but the dream just had more control over me than I did, even though I was thinking lucidly. I was fighting for control and then I awoke.

This sound similar to what you were mentioning?

fineganswaker

Re: A fool who plays it (too) cool?

Postby fineganswaker » 15 Jul 2011 00:30

Hi, rdubya. Sorry it's taken me a while to respond.

Yeah, that pretty much nails it, the dream definitely took back control.

Also, however, there were some very strong emotions going on in this dream--emotions that happened after I became lucid that I would tend to classify as "inappropriate" (at least for me). There was a lot of anger and downright hatred toward some pre-lucid dream characters who had been threatening me (the inappropriateness was in my overreaction to these figures). As a matter of fact, I think it was the adrenalin rush of being stalked by these shadowy figures that might have caused lucidity.

As a result, later in the dream I ended up doing some pretty bad violence to a character that probably had nothing to do with what had happened earlier (funny how odd that sounds to me--to speak of things this way, since this was a dream after all). It was an Achilles moment, I guess you could say. Afterward, although I was no longer lucid, I felt a huge amount of remorse and shame for what I'd done. Another dream character appeared (enter, stage right), a type of kindly, older man who could only be described as a hillbilly or "whitetrash" type. He became a type of confessor figure of sorts. "I think I might have hurt your friend quite badly", I said, and added how sorry I was. He looked me squarely in the eye and said, rather sadly, "Well, you'd be surprised how often this type of thing happens". Man, talk about a dream guide! There was a definite reconciliation, but the dream ended with this feeling that, well, "I blew it".

Without going into a lot of detail, probably the most interesting implication of what happened and the emotions attached is that they actually pointed back to a non-lucid dream I'd had earlier that evening that I'd journaled (I was using the WBTB method). It felt like almost the same dream, but twisted and convoluted like metamorphic rock--but in that dream it was fear, not anger, that I'd felt (Freud would have a field day here).

That was the last lucid dream I've had. 'Sbeen almost two weeks--and now I'm stuck back in those awful horse latitudes where I can barely recall anything. I'm getting much better at asking myself "What did you just dream" when I wake up, but lately there's little if anything there...

Return to “Dream Control Specifics”