Meditation Impossible

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Psychosanity

Meditation Impossible

Postby Psychosanity » 10 Sep 2012 17:35

From what I've read, meditating every day can help with dream recall and LD's. I would love to do this, but here's the problem.

My brain hasn't shut up in 41 years. Not for 3 seconds. It's not about to start now.
Everything I read about meditating says to "clear your mind" and that "as you relax, that mental chatter will start to quiet down." But it doesn't. As I said, in my entire life, my brain has never stopped yapping at me for even a moment.

So, how do I meditate with my brain running a continuous stream of commentary at me?

Example (meditating with wave sounds): "Ok, gonna clear my mind now. Just concentrate on the waves. Here I go. Relaxing my body. Ahhhh. Oooh, an itch. Scratch it. Ok...back to the waves. Mind is totally clear, not thinking anything. Just concentrating on the waves. No mental chatter...well, except all this mental chatter about the lack of mental chatter. Is that OK? Hmm, I'll have to look that up later...Oh damn, the waves! Ok, back to concentrating on the waves...etc. etc. etc. for the ENTIRE TIME.

This is all very irritating and I end up far more tense after 'meditating' than I was before.
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2390

lumencryster

Re: Meditation Impossible

Postby lumencryster » 10 Sep 2012 18:37

instead of thinking about calming your mind, try focusing on certain things instead. like just focusing on your breathing, or how tense your muscles feel, or just the feeling of your hands on your lap. maybe focusing on something you hear isn't working, but i find that focusing i feel is the first step to relaxing my mind. try different things too, if outside in nature is a relaxing place for you, go there to meditate.

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 10 Sep 2012 20:13

Haha, your post actually made me laugh, only because I used to do the exact same thing. First off, if you have an Iphone, buy the 100 Binaural Beats app, its 99 cents and I love it! You can chose whatever relaxing sound you want to play and then put what ever type of binaural beat you want behind it. But for your mind chattering problem, just keep meditating. It is not easy to silence your mind, it takes practice. What I've found is that if I try to just silence my mind permanently, it never works. So what I do is concentrate on my breathing and count my breaths. Eventually I will try to stop counting and stay quiet, and then if my inner monologue starts up again, i just start counting again. Eventually you will learn how to control your monologue, but it takes time. But keep meditating! What you read is right, meditating is a great tool for LDing. When I first started, I couldn't remember any dreams, so I started meditating. After the first 3 days or so, I was remembering roughly one a night and it only got better from there.
The mind is a beautiful thing

Psychosanity

Postby Psychosanity » 10 Sep 2012 20:42

Thanks for responses, sounds like good advice. Glad to hear it helped with Bleekman's dream recall, because that's my biggest problem I think (so far).

5 days, only 1 dream remembered thus far. I'd say in the past 10 years I've probably only remembered maybe 6 dreams (long since forgotten). This morning, I knew I dreamed, and a wisp of memory was sort of there, but when I tried to remember more, I couldn't, and then that little wisp was gone, too. Frustrating.

Going to continue trying to meditate, and trying to remember.

NAIAD

Postby NAIAD » 10 Sep 2012 21:26

Psychosanity wrote:From what I've read, meditating every day can help with dream recall and LD's. I would love to do this, but here's the problem.

My brain hasn't shut up in 41 years. Not for 3 seconds. It's not about to start now.
Everything I read about meditating says to "clear your mind" and that "as you relax, that mental chatter will start to quiet down." But it doesn't. As I said, in my entire life, my brain has never stopped yapping at me for even a moment.

So, how do I meditate with my brain running a continuous stream of commentary at me?

Example (meditating with wave sounds): "Ok, gonna clear my mind now. Just concentrate on the waves. Here I go. Relaxing my body. Ahhhh. Oooh, an itch. Scratch it. Ok...back to the waves. Mind is totally clear, not thinking anything. Just concentrating on the waves. No mental chatter...well, except all this mental chatter about the lack of mental chatter. Is that OK? Hmm, I'll have to look that up later...Oh damn, the waves! Ok, back to concentrating on the waves...etc. etc. etc. for the ENTIRE TIME.

This is all very irritating and I end up far more tense after 'meditating' than I was before.

It might be worth buying a book on meditation. I've just finished True Meditation by Adyashanti which is very good, and it's on Amazon.

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 10 Sep 2012 23:21

Make sure your doing a dream journal too! That is the best way to improve dream recall!

Psychosanity

Postby Psychosanity » 11 Sep 2012 00:06

Well, I do have a journal all primed up and ready to go...next to the bed, pencil at hand. I just don't have anything to put in it yet. I try to stay positive, though...so I am CERTAIN I will have something to write in there tomorrow!

For now, I am trying to meditate at least once a day, doing reality checks everytime it occurs to me. (first one immediately upon waking, and well over a dozen a day). Then before bed, I watch the subliminal video I got from this site somewhere and then listen to some isochronic tones while mentally repeating affirmations (I will remember my dreams tonite, I will have vivid, memorbale dreams tonite, When I wake up I will remember my dreams, etc. etc.). Then I meditate some more as I try to fall asleep.

I also plan to try setting my alarm for about 6 hours after I fall asleep tonite, and see what happens there. I think I rarely wake up from REM, making it harder to recall the dreams...

Not even focusing on lucidity at all yet, I'll be happy for now if I can get to where I'm remembering one dream every night.

Any input on my little daily routine is welcome.

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 11 Sep 2012 02:15

You are on the right track to remembering dreams more frequently. Keep at it and you'll be remembering at least one a night in a couple weeks. If you want to go even further, you can try getting some Galantamine and Choline to improve it even more, but that's not necessary. Just a suggestion if you didn't know, it's your choice.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 11 Sep 2012 07:35

Do you drink tea or coffee?
I started drinking a lot of tea and coffee recently and it has affected my sleep.
They are such mainstream drugs, people don't realize how unnaturally potent the stimuluses can be on our brains. (Just a thought...)

If you find meditation and clearing your mind hard, (I do and don't even try meditation), than simply try DAYDREAMING. You may not have an empty mind, but you won't be 'chatty' either. Lose yourself in a good daydream every now and then. You say you remember at least a few dreams. Daydream about them and relive them again. Even if it doesn't stimulate more dream recall, it may be more relaxing than a frustrating meditation session gone all wrong.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Psychosanity

Postby Psychosanity » 11 Sep 2012 15:10

I do drink a fair amount of coffee in the morning, and sometimes a cup in the early evening. No trouble sleeping, however. Had the same coffee intake for about 20 years now, so I would think it is the 'norm' for me at this point. Haven't read anything (so far) that says coffee hurts LD or dream recall. Hope it doesn't, cuz I sure love my coffee.

Last night was another recall failure. Did my routine, kids upstairs were being a little loud, so I didn't fall asleep quite when I wanted to, which sucked. But about an hour later I did. Had set alarm and woke up about 6 hrs later...did some reality checks and tried to recall a dream, but didn't. Drifted back to sleep, affirming that I would remember the dream I was about to have. Drifted back off and woke up naturally after about 3 more hours. Nothing. :cry:

Return to “For Beginners”